Amelia Anscelly and Soong Fie Cho

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by SibugiChai, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

Amelia fitting in nicely as national coaches

PETALING JAYA: Former international shuttlers Amelia Alicia Anscelly is making a smooth transition into coaching.

Amelia, the 2015 SEA Games women’s doubles gold medallist with Soong Fie Cho started their new roles as Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM)’s junior coaches on Jan 2.

The 29-year-old Amelia is in charge of the Form Four and Five girls’ doubles department while 35-year-old Hafiz oversees the singles (boys and girls) of the same age-group.

Amelia, who quit the BAM last April, said returning as a coach was the best way to contribute to badminton once again.

When I stopped playing last year, I did think about going on to play professionally,” said Amelia after BAM’s assembly session for the junior shuttlers on Wednesday.

But ultimately, if we are to represent the country, playing under the BAM banner is the best option."

I felt that I wouldn’t have that much motivation as a professional."

I still want to give back to the sport and I want to create champions of my own, which is why I applied to be a coach."

With my experience, I feel that I still have a lot to offer and I have the ability as a coach because I did some private coaching before too."

It’s only been a week but I’m adapting fast and I’m enjoying teaching the younger shuttlers,” added Amelia.

Besides Amelia, a second former international – singles shuttler Mohd Hafiz Hashim – also started work as junior coach on Jan 2.

A third former international – doubles shuttler Mohd Lufti Zaim – also started work as junior coach on Jan 2.

A fourth new addition to the coaching stable is former Singaporean shuttler Wahida Abdullah, who will assist Zhou Kejian in the Form One to Three singles department.

BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria, who presided over the assembly on Wednesday, said the BAM were on track to bring all their juniors to be housed at the Akademi Badminton Malaysia (ABM) in Bukit Juara by March.

A total of 61 juniors will be housed at the ABM.

[Source]