Anthony Sinisuka Ginting

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Sundis, Aug 9, 2015.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yeah, let's not overrate these apology things here. And along with intended body shots, the pros also practise specifically to hit the net chord on net shots for example. Just look at that:

That's what - 18 net chords out of 20 shuttles? So forget the myth that net chords in a pro match is luck only. So why apologise for a shot that you hit successfully and with intention? But surely it's a different thing when your intended body smash accidently (or even intentionally) hits the face or when a mishit still makes its way over the net and you score a point with it. That's where you have to draw a line.

When I'm on court personally, I really dislike those super-fake-friendly opponents who apologise for hitting in fact nothing but a good shot. To me, it feels highly condescending.

Sportsmanship has got a lot to do with showing that you respect your opponent. And that's what Carolina is completely missing in her behaviour on court. And from what I've seen from Anthony so far, there hasn't been a single moment in which I got that same awkward feeling that I constantly get while watching Carolina. His body language towards his opponent is positive and shows respect. But maybe I have missed his bad moments from the past yet.

buibui2, Fantasista, melon94 and 3 others like this.
  2. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

If AG can maintain his consistency... he will be player to watch. :)

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    He already is. ;)

4. azerez

azerez Regular Member

Ginting vs Momota R1 Denmark Open :eek::eek: RIGGED :mad:

5. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Can you post a link to the draw?

6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
  7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

R1 as WR1 , Momota has much more to lose...

9. Svyat

Svyat Regular Member

Software Developer
    It's hard to admit for me, but AG looked calmer and faster of these two. And actually he seems to have more high-end playing style. The question for me is if AG is able to produce more quality shots keeping this speed. If he is, then KM is in trouble.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Good legwork doesn't mean the stamina is there. His legs were probably moving on their own. But he didn't have enough stamina left to keep his shots accurate and delicate. He was caught off guard toward the end of the match, clearly wasn't expecting Momota would up the pace all of a sudden.

Luckily for Momota, Ginting doesn't have the stamina of CTC :D

melon94 likes this.
  11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

This might sound like a broken record, but Ginting's problem is his stamina. Not saying he doesn't have the stamina, but he has not been able to control it just yet. If he could manage his energy conserving throughout the match, he could be much better and more consistent.

12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Ginting's shots were somewhat inconsistent before the latter part of G3. Towards the end, Ginting may have lost his concentration, as well as the war of attrition that Momota plays better than most, but that is in the realm of mental rather than physical stamina. I suppose, this could well be an issue of definition.

Incidentally, if Ginting wasn't expecting Momota to be capable of shifting gears, then he needs to do a little more homework. Or at least read the signs. Unlike at the China Open, Momota seemed to be pacing himself for most of the match; he certainly didn't appear to be playing an intensive, energy consuming-game. That can spell danger.

Ginting is a dynamic, exciting player to watch, and has an effective (in some cases lethal) set of skills. But sometimes I get the impression that he cannot adapt his game on court, when confronted by the unexpected. He continues to push on in the same mode in the hope that things will work out.

13. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I still think that Momota was caught out by Ginting's deception, especially with Ginting's forehand net, but not as badly as previous matches. Momota looked like he was playing with more variety but still not as much as he could do e.g. I don't think I saw a forehand crosscourt smash once. That is a shot that he used to play (see LD vs KM 2015) and one that other players like LD often use with great success.

Ginting also easily guessed the placement of smashes on a few occasions, usually straight, and this caused trouble for Momota. The opposite is true too, in that Momota had no idea where Ginting was smashing. See game 3, he was left stranded in the middle on many occasions.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yes that's what Ginting always having problem with. The stamina to keep his concentration rather than the physical stamina. He made a lot of errors which indicated that he wasn't fit or just not used to the condition yet. Speedy players like Ginting need more time to adjust their game with the drift. It was unfortunate that he had to play Momota who excels in mostly any hall condition in his first match of the tournament. Ginting just started to get in the field last AG, too early for him to be consistent just yet.

But anyway I think it is good that Momota won it this time, now it is Ginting's turn to do his homework. Just disappointed that they had to play in R1 instead of in some later stage.

15. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

This sounds like a broken record on a broken player inside a tumble dryer which is driven over a dirt road by a tractor running on bricks instead of wheels.
    But we all know who's driving the tractor, all the while telling us how sweet the song is.

#55 Cunning Linguist, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

My imagination's level is not high enough to visualize what you just said so I am going to just ignore that:p:p

Well I read about his (and other INA players) stamina issue from some articles about him and other INA camp players training during AG preparation. They changed their training menu to increase the players stamina and endurance level for the AG in particular by training all the players to be able to play rubber sets back to back in 5 days in a row because they had realized their players almost always losing when it came to playing rubber games (why they hadn't done that before I really had no idea). Looks like they had succeeded, Ginting had become stronger and he showed it in AG and China Open. So one issue down, he finally has the stamina and the confidence. Now he needs to maintain the consistency (his coach said). Whether they maintain that training menu until now I have no idea. They should, but you will never know with the Indonesians, they are well known for their laziness and lack of commitment when it comes to long term hard work, so contrast with the Japanese.

It is hard to measure how much stamina you need until you are experienced enough. And that's from my personal observation and experience. Plus some readings involved. If the articles lied, then as you said I guess I had nothing to back it up.

PS:
    @Cunning Linguist
    By the way I have looked up the old articles and could only find a couple that was kind of relevant, it is so hard to find all the old articles. They are all in Indonesian though (but google probably would do decent-ish translation if you are interested) and I couldn't find the article on Ginting alone but I am sure you are probably too busy driving the tractor and singing the sweet songs to take any interest.

https://www.bola.com/asian-games/re...angan-jonatan-dan-anthony-di-asian-games-2018
    (coach's revealing extra physical training for the players to prepare them to survive long matches in AG)

https://www.bola.com/asian-games/re...besar-jonatan-dan-anthony-setelah-asian-games
    (coach's thought on how consistency is the hardest challenge for JC and Ginting after AG)

and so on and so on. Too many needless articles on JC's celebration and his "perfect" body and all to be bothered to look them all up.

#56 yuquall, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    melon94 likes this.
  17. Cunning Linguist

o_O

I translated the articles. The first one stated they prepared for several long matches in a row especially, but that the main challenge is the mental part. The second mentions the need for consistency and does not mention stamina at all as something that's lacking.
    While the first one might have mild implications for yesterday's match (a first round encounter after several weeks of break), the second has none whatsoever.

Ginting's China Open looked like this:
    Lin Dan - 54 min
    VA - 45 min
    CL - 1:25 h
    CTC - 1:08 h
    KM - 1:03 h

But after more than two weeks of rest, a guy who can pull the above off has "stamina issues" of the highest order in the first round. Of course only in the last few points, and of course without showing it, as he's not breathing heavily, there's still spry footwork and jump smashes without problems.
    If you want to see "stamina issues", watch the last rally of the first game between Axelsen and Momota in Japan.

The length people go to in order to avoid saying "Momota played really well the last 5 points", seriously. :D

Michael V likes this.
  18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Geesh, when have I said that Momota didn't play well or Ginting lost to Momota because of stamina issue? Aren't his fans here a bit too ultra sensitive about the subject? You said so yourself Ginting looked tired in G3. Right from the beginning Ginting made way too many errors (partly due to the drift) and he himself said he couldn't play well at the net, didn't expect Momota to change the pace suddenly toward the end of G3 that he couldn't keep up with it. So isn't it obvious that it wasn't just the stamina issue that cost him the match in Denmark Open?

I was only saying that Ginting has had stamina issue all this time and he (and other INA players) had been specially trained and prepared ONLY for the AG a few weeks before therefore he showed tremendous endurance during and after AG thanks to their special training. Just ridiculing the Indonesia team's principle to whip their butts off only for big events. If only they kept their players in check for every tournaments like they did for AG, the players would have produced better results overall. But that's another matter.

Anyway, I just think that if Ginting could learn how to conserve energy and plan his game smartly he would be more consistent and not be too tired in G3 now that he finally had the "stamina" he needed (hopefully he still has it). He seemed to have none of that when he played in Korea though. The problem with him as his coach also mentioned was how Ginting had the tendency to try to finish the game as quickly as possible that he ended up using up all his energy in the first 2 games and had little left to go on if it went to G3. That against any opponent, not just Momota. But especially against Momota, the more Ginting should learn how to hold back and plan carefully.

It wouldn't be fun if only Momota playing well, would it? I enjoy watching them playing their best when they face each other. Momota has been winning most of his matches so far. I just hope for Ginting to catch up sooner than later.

#58 yuquall, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  19. Cunning Linguist

Are you actually serious?
    How about here:
    or here:
    or the more nebulous variant:
    Pick one. :p
    I'd take the second, personally, because it shows exactly what the stamina defense actually implies: the winner got a bit lucky, because IF the opponent was really fit, he'd kick his ass.

That's not to say there aren't obvious cases of lack of stamina that are responsible for victories. But this one isn't only not obvious, it's no case at all. And that's simply what I object to.

No need for plural, it's currently really just me. And I'm not sensitive. I just call a spade a spade, as a certain someone (not you) for the umptiest time came up with his good ol' stamina defense, because the game didn't go the way he wanted to. The sheer amount of bullshit conjured up in the other thread (I'm not going to quote it, it reads like the really bad fiction it is) made me respond. Also, I've seen it used against AY many times and that actually does get me slightly agitated, because we're talking about someone who already has a considerable physical disadvantage in comparison to virtually all of her peers.
    So maybe you can understand where I'm coming from. ;)

If you're referring to post #3640, that is heavy sarcasm, as the video didn't at all show what the aforementioned someone suggested. It was also a little dig at @kurako, who seconded the unfounded suggestions of Mr Postcount 40000 without having seen the match.
    So, as you can see, the "hysteric masses" in this thread are not really as heterogenic as some make us out to be. ;)

Oh, I suggested many months ago that Ginting would probably be Momota's most dangerous rival in the future (and was fairly alone with that opinion). Nothing I've seen since has convinced me otherwise. All their matches have been great and most had a different character to it. This time, as @kurako and Ginting himself have already said, the net was not dominated by either player. More of that, please.

Ginting just needs the ranking points to get where he belongs in the world ranking and then we don't have to watch this as first round matches on grainy betting streams anymore.

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Haha okay now we are talking. Who didn't recognize sarcasms in my posts now? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I get it, only you can have fun by being so sarcastic. I will remember it when I post in the future. Or should I give a big hint like "this is me being sarcastic" in all my posts?

Of course Ginting doesn't have CTC's stamina, who does? Come on, seriously? Look how Ginting got eaten by CTC in Korea Open. Ginting probably wish he had CTC's stamina.

And honestly, if you were paying attention how many times have I gone all against that "stamina issue" against some certain poster in the other threads. Oh please, don't I know it.

My concern about Ginting's stamina is genuine. Not strictly only about the last match but for him to figure it out from now on. One reason is because I don't see him physically strong enough to accommodate his playing style for too long and another reason is because he is Indonesian (simply that). After knowing that they only gave their players some intensive endurance training shortly before the AG (what had they been doing all this time??), I have my doubts about him being able to keep his stamina in tact. But I hope he won't slack off like his gold medalist colleague. :cool:

Oh! I had completely forgotten that this was Momota's thread and I was supposed to praise him more. :rolleyes: (this is me being sarcastic)
    Momota rocks! :D

Baddyforall likes this.