Anyone can guess who these badminton players are?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by bchaiyow, Aug 31, 2006.

1. koaylt

koaylt Regular Member

Clarence Senior & sometimes unwilling sparring par
    Young fan of Malaysian TC1976

Really appreciate what you share with us this important bit of Malaysian badminton history. Most of us were too young if not born to remember the history created after we beat Denmark. If not mistaken, the papers hailed the team as the Magnificent Seven. I remember I rooted for Saw Swee Leong (the Penang Phine Kia, by his gangster style) to upset Swie King but it wasn't to be. Phua Ah Hua was the battling kid from Kelantan. I remember Dominic and you gave a good fight against the Indonesians. Also Moo was having so much trouble with his service. I was disappointed the team didn't go on to challenge the Indonesians in the latter years. That's what I remember as a young fan 33 years ago.
    koaylt

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    No, that is not Lim Cheng Hoe and I would have recognized him if he is so. Lim was one year my senior at Shaw Road Primary School and later in San Peng Secondary School in KL. Lim was actually a very good table tennis player as well as in badminton, champion in both. He picked baddy and went on to play reserve for MAS team. His brother was in my grade and a good karate guy.

3. Karate Kid

Karate Kid Regular Member

Karate Instructor

Hi One ToughBirdie, I came to this site by chance......this is the karate guy you are talking about.....which means I am Cheng Hoe's brother :cool: Anyone of you outhere wants to know about him or take contact with him......I am at your service.......

4. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor

Hi CHC, I stumbled here by chance....I am Cheng Hoe's brother. If you see this and still would love to contact my brother....just give me a howl :)

5. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I knew you better than your brother...this is a small world indeed...actually, if I remember, you lived near San Peng Road and attended San Peng Road School 2 (not 1, there were 2 sessions in this school), you would know me and I had been to your house and you had a fish tank with a fish that fed on other fishes, right?...or hmmm, I could have mix them up. Now, what are you doing in Norway, care to pm me, thanks.:)

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    One more thing, I recalled in one karate tournament when you were still in your teens, you beat a multi-Dan japanese guy in the SF and supposed to meet another multi-Dan Japanese guy in the final but you conceded a WO cos this fella was too tough...now, this happened in 1973, and that is 35 yrs ago, if my memory serves me right.

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I cannot recall your middle name but your third name is 'Keong', right?

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Who woulda thunk OTB would meet one of his long lost friends in BC??..

..tis indeed a small world because of one thing: the power of the internet/information superhighway that can link/inform the rest of the world within a fingertip. Imagine 35 yrs ago, there would be no way this kind of information/contact would come around, would it??..;)
    A fish fed on other fishes??..Piranhas??..:eek:[​IMG]:eek: :p
    ..wow, still remember the accounts from 35 yrs ago, good memory..:cool:

#48 ctjcad, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    It is not a piranha...I remember it is a big fish roaming in that big tank...or I could have mistaken for another person...but definitely, we knew each other...one error I made, it is not 35 yrs cos' we attended that school between 1969 to 1971, that makes it 2009 - 1971 = 38 yrs ago.

10. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor

Hi OTB, Wow....now my mind is searching and wondering who you are :) You are right about the aquarium....fish tank or whatever....San Peng Rd School 2 is correct ( also known as Sam Seng Rd School :eek: ) but no, I don't live near the school then. I was living in Salak South Garden. Memory slipped my friend :p Well, I am not sure about the big bully fish.......memory slipped me too :confused:

Ok, to your question what am I doing in Norway.....ready for a long Indian story? Oops.....no, sorry...hope James Selvaraj miss this one:p I am still the same ass kicking karate kid.....but promoted one up.....am now the national coach of Norwegian Traditional Karate Federation. Talking about Malaysia Boleh hehehe......

What is pm by the way? Been away since 1976.....losing touch with stuff like that :cool:

11. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor

Hey, you make me sounds like a hero in one moment and a zero the next....and all in one breath :crying: You were right about the WO in the final....but I was taken (bungkus out ) to the hospital after the SF la......Meeee....surrender!!!??? Never :rolleyes: I was a very hot headed teens who didn't know better way back then.....the tougher the better...nothing to lose.........it was 1974 by the way.....

Man, you sure know a lot.........:confused:

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Give you a hint...I was the number 1 singles table tennis player for our school from 1969 to 1971, our school went to Selangor State SF twice and was our school high jump champion...if I give you my name, I am sure you will recall who I am and I remember you as a tall lanky fella and class monitor, am I correct for a 38-yr old memory? It has been a long time to meet in this forum. I left MAS for CAN in 1978 and never left, now a senior engineer with the Canadian Govt. I mean you can email me and I do not want to take up space in this thread.

13. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor
    My brother is Lim Cheng Hoe, so my middle name is obvious, right? :rolleyes:

Keong??? You fished this name out from our old fish tank??? :)

Poh, my friend...Poh is my last name.......and I thought I am wellknown :rolleyes:

So, care to tell me who you are? :confused:

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer

Choong Woh....do you remember this guy?

15. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor
    Man, I thought you are also into badminton.....Birdie prompted that. I have a little memory of some top ping pong players of SP Rd School...but names I can't recall.....they are stored away back somewhere but I know I recognise them if I hear them......and I think I know who you are......were you from Bukit Bintang then? Oh, one name popped up right this moment.....are you Wong Yuen Peng? :eek:

16. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor

Choong Woh? Sounds very familiar :eek: I remember now names of a couple of top table tennis players back then....Wong Yuen Peng and Kok Poh Choong. I am sure if I see your picture I will remember you. I remember taking part in our table tennis school championship one year and I shocked had a surprise win over Kok Poh Choong :cool:

17. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor
    What's your email? Didn't find it on your profile....

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I can hear feet jumping..

...i can sense OTB must be jumping up & down, hippity hopping and saying to himself "That's it, that's me..."...;)

19. Karate Kid

Karate Instructor
    Wait.....is your family name Wong? Were you also in Cheras Rd Sxchool after San Peng?

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    hahaha, i guess it's a reunion ? it worth two pages, believe me.