APACS fan club

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by clearng, Dec 13, 2006.

1. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Agreed but also it can be because the racquet is too heavy. A lot of people use a heavy racquet first then switch to a lighter one after a few games.

2. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

on the other hand light racket requires very good technique and wrist/fingers work, and with heavy one it is much easier to execute power shots, so on the contrary may be OP needs to get some normal 3U racket :)

3. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

Apacs Feather Weight 55 FW55. I got this for a friend who has to retire his Tantrum 200II temporary due to elbow injury lately. There are 2 things to wow about this racket, dry weight is 58g+-2g (59g on my digital weight), rated as 8U and head heaviness (335mm dry). This racket is known as lightest racket in the world, not sure if anyone else has a lighter one up to date.

It doesn't come with factory rubber grip but with a layer of plastic coating, it would be a dangerous flying axe on someone's sweaty hand, so having a good grip is a must. I put a Gosen G-tone 5 @26lb on it and the weight balance changes to 365mm, the balance point is only a few cm from the T join, the most head heavy racket I've ever measured. With a little cushion and over grip on handle, it swifted back to about 335mm IMO still a very head heavy racket. Ultra head heavy racket with flexible shaft is an interesting combination, a whippy sledge hammer.

Swing is fast, clear and lift is effortless, short exchange is great but needs a little effort to return the racket to position preparing for next hit as the momentum of the swing carry the movement further. Smashes were strong but not great, some hitting time adjustment needed for those who play stiff racket. The only short fall is every time I unleash a smash, I scare I would break the shaft.

Overall a good racket to have fun with once in a while. FW55 8U.jpg FW55 spec.jpg FW55 handle.jpg

nirmal007 and Martynas like this.
  4. Carbonex_7

APACS Lethal 60 II.
    I got this as a replacement of my beloved Tantrum 200IIs. I sold both my T200IIs to a friend when his son broke his racket and desperately need a pair of good rackets to play in upcoming tournaments. I thought I could get a pair back on my trip to Malaysia but found out the price has since gone up 20%. I try to get Tantrum X as replacement but was told it is an oversea version so decided to give Lethal 60 II a try. The predecessor Lethal 60 (or Lethal 70 in oversea) was a hot seller in the past, a slimmer shaft (6.7mm) with similar specs just make the racket beefer IMHO.

It is rated as 3U with about 95g of weight with string, cushion and overgrip on it, closer to 4U weight rather than 3U as all my 3Us are 99-103g heavy. The frame has exactly the same shape and design as T200II with the same P-F built (I believe) even though one is called Aeropower super PF frame and the other Box power PF frame. Physically, both look exactly the same. So you can expect to have similar swing speed and hitting feel as T200 II.

There are 3 differences between the two.
    1. Shaft stiffness. T200II is rated a tiny bit stiffer (7.5) than L60 II (8.0).
    2. Head heaviness. Balance point of T200II is measured at 287mm with string, cushion and overgrip but L60 II is close to 300mm. My take on this is the weight of the racket is removed from the handle of L60II which is why it is head heavy and weighed like a 4U racket.
    3. The is the biggest difference between the two. T200II comes with 72 holes and L60II is 76 holes but I don't know how the 4 extra holes affects the playability (discussion here) . From stringer point of view, I prefer 72 as I have no problem of putting string through the share holes but some stringer may prefer 76 holes, just personal preference.

L60II plays as solid as T200II, back court clearing and smashing I would give L60II a slight advantage due to heavier head balance and medium stiff shaft, but for defence and fast exchange drive, this is where T200 II really shines. For those who likes a slightly more powerful shots with less stiff racket, L60II won't disappoint you.

The best thing I like about L60II over T200II is the colour and decals design. Black and red is a combination of style and power, much much better than the Shrek vomit slime green T200II. The blue T200II feels better.

L60II vs T200II 1.jpg L60II vs T200II 2.jpg L60II vs T200II 3.jpg L60II vs T200II 4.jpg L60II vs T200II 5.jpg

5. Ipponka

Ipponka New Member

Hi all,
    I am a growing fan of apacs and pointed many beginner's to some of the entry level Apacs models to my beginner friends (nano 9900, Edgesaber 10 etc) when they were ready for their first racquet. I am a doubles player, due to many collisions, I currently have only 1 Yonex Atrox 88D, 4U G5 (imI a doubles player). I am saving to buy a second one but I'd also like a decent apacs alternative around the same weight. There's so many series and the weight classes are different from Yonex. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

6. Carbonex_7

yes, Apacs has a huge variety of rackets built for different market segments, screening through their catalogs is a pain in the arse. Despite most of their low ends rackets are copycats (cosmetically only, nano9900, edgesaber, N force, Ziggler, Blend...), they do make their own line of products which are really good to play with and does not break a hole in your pocket. For those who would like to dig deeper into Apacs line of products, Virtuoso, Lethal, Tantrum, Tweet, Blizzard, Slayer...etc are the ones to look for. But some of the high end models from the copycats series such as Ziggler LHI Pro, Blend Pro are exceptionally good rackets specially designed for their sponsored international players like former world #1 Lee Hyun Ill.

Among my group of friends, we stick to Virtuoso, Tantrum and Lethal series most. Tantrum 200II (300II oversea) is by far the best all rounder and most value for money racket APACS has to offer (lots of reviews in the forum). Virtuoso Performance (used by Scottish International Robert Blair in Commonwealth games 2014) is for those who like a fast swing speed with decent smashing power. Lethal 110 is a good stiff racket for double back court players and Lethal 60II is a good addition to his category as well.

IMO, Lethal 60II 3U ( actual weight is close to 4U) and Lethal 110 seems to fit into your bill as Ax88D is a head heavy and stiff racket.

Whichwaytogo likes this.
  7. Ipponka

Ipponka New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed! looking at the Lethal 60II on sportshorizon, it looks to be quite heavy (~88g), are you sure it is close in weight to Yonex 4U? Also, could you point me in the right direction to explore their catalogues?

#6647 Ipponka, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  8. Carbonex_7

9. nirmal007

nirmal007 New Member

Anybody in group tried tantrum x? Any one reviewed in group before ...? Plz suggest I want to buy one ? Thanks in advance

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

10. Nick Challenor

Nick Challenor New Member

Which apacs model is similar to a voltric 70?

11. Carbonex_7

Hi Nick,

I have a Voltric 80 which has a slightly stiffer shaft than V70, both come with aerobox 76 holes frame. IMO Lethal 60 or 60II ( same as Lethal 70 or 70II in Europe/ America) should be a good replacement. The difference between Gen 1 and 2 is just the thickness of the shaft. If i am not mistaken the Voltrics have a 0.70mm shaft which is closer to the Gen 1 Lethals but I prefer Gen 2 version, slimmer is faster and looks better.

12. Nick Challenor

Nick Challenor New Member

Appreciate the info, thank you.

13. nirmal007

nirmal007 New Member

Bought today apacs fusion nano speed 722 ... With 26 lbs BG 65 ....going to play with it today..

14. Dezlets

Dezlets Regular Member

Used a lethal light 60 same as feather weight it’s 8u. Best racket so far I used but problem is with the overhead seems like not enuff to hit to the other backcourt?

15. Carbonex_7

Those ultra light rackets has extraordinary head weight flexible shaft swinging like a whippy hammer, sending shuttle to back court should not be a problem, in fact it is quite easy to do it and I can do it whole night with FW55. Work on your technique, try to whip it instead of throwing a full swing.

16. Carbonex_7

Enjoy your play, it is a fun racket to play with.

17. Dezlets

Dezlets Regular Member

Not sure wise maybe my tension was too high?

I need more force to send it to back court baseline

But the control is Superb. I strung at 26lbs but when I tried it felt like the stringer purposely strung it higher lol. Because the first few shots felt like those Super high tension sound. But it drops tension Super quick as well. Not sure how does the stringer does that. As this was the first time he strung for me.

18. Carbonex_7

Strings tend to lose tension over time, even on a freshly strung racket, it drops 1/2-1lb after 24 hrs without playing. Different type of strings also perform differently when come to tension retention, what string do you have? 26lb for me is just the right tension but one man's poison is another man's cake.

19. nirmal007

nirmal007 New Member

Thanks who recommended nano speed 722 and thanks for such nice reviews on this group.... this racket suits my playing style... Now ns722 is go to racket with for single n doubles...

20. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

not rackets but still about abacs: tried aeroflight 800 shuttles, will be ordering some tubes from sportshorizon, as50 level shuttles in terms of flight and durable as well.