Arcsaber 5 racket (Nanoray 900?)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by takumi4, Jan 12, 2016.

1. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

So after shopping around the local scene, I finally found a good offer on two rackets.

The Arcsaber 5 and the Nanoray 900. Both rackets had a shelf price of over $300 Brunei but the shop assistant (a friend) was willing to give me a good deal on them. Aboyt 60% discount.

I wasn't familiar with either because I have been out of the sport for a very long time but tried both out for a few swings (the most you can do at a shop is hold the racket and do a pose) and the Arcsaber 5 felt better so I took it.

I wanted to do some research before getting it but I wouldn't be able to get the same discount if his boss was at the shop so I pulled the trigger and got the Arcsaber 5. It is being restrung with BG 66 at tension '70' (around 24.5lbs) right now.

I came home and did a search and immediately see loads of reviews and info on the Nanoray 900 but very little on the Arcsaber 5. Is there a reason for this?

Seems like the Nanoray is a much more popular racket but there is relatively nothing on the Arcsaber 5. Was there a problem with the Arcsaber? Should I have gotten the Nanoray instead?

Thanks for any info provided. Cheers :D

2. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

The currency listed is in Brunei dollars by the way.... I would have driven down to Sarawak, Malaysia for better deals but i needed a racket this weekend.

3. kkylam

kkylam Regular Member

The difference in reviews is because one is a top of the range racket (NR900) and the other is a mid to low end racket (Arc5).

As you know the high end rackets are heavily advertised and hyped. Personally I own a NR900 and it is my go to racket for MD (along with BS12, JS10). While NR900 is an even balanced racket (285mm bp) I can still produce some powerful smashes due to the flexing of the frame. And it is definitely a really good racket for playing drives!

4. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

That was the answer I was afraid of... Both rackets were similarly priced so I thought they would be on par with each other. I couldn't play with either so I chose only based on first impressions.

My current racket is the Carlton Airblade Elite and the Arcsaber felt closer to it in terms of weight and feel. If I had known the Nano was a class above the Arcsaber I would have gone for it instead.

Anyway will give the Arcsaber a shot and hope it suits my game... Thanks

5. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Indeed Nanoray900 was the hype of yonex's latest invention (partially due to endorsement of indo MD ahsan/setiawan). Meanwhile arcsaber 5 is categorized for mid range buyer. If price the concern, then go for nanoray900 (easily sell out if you dont use it anymore). However, note that the price of Nanoray900 has been lowered noticably for some reason (unlike arcsaber or voltric series, even if they are older). I know a website sells original nanoray900 for roughly USD100, while Yonex shops still sell them for USD150. Of course you could get cheaper price for second hand rackets.

It was rumoured that "nanoray900" of duo Indonesian MD is actually Arcsaber series, repainted to be exactly like nanoray900.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Are you sure Arc5 is mid range? Mid range Arcsaber are called 00x, while high range are 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
    There are a lot of review on the Nanoray 900 because it is new. But if you look at the newest of the Arcsaber, the 11, it has a lot of review also. New stuff are talk a lot, that's it. But I think you made the good choice. The Arc series is solid, effective, all around, though it lacks a little in personality.

7. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease as well renbo. Been looking more into the arcsaber series and it seems well liked. The problem with where I play is that due to the small population new racket models are rare and they are usually mixed with the old.

So you can go to a sports shop and see the duora 10 priced similarly like the arcsaber 5. You only find out one model is older and on discount after speaking with the shopkeepers. In this instance the arcsaber 5 and nanoray 900 were similarly priced and I went for the arcsaber cos it felt better in my hand at the time.

I look forward to putting it to the test and see how it compares with my airblade and isometric.... The airblade has been amazing racket but am switching to Yonex due to the limited availability of Carlton. Coincidentally I have a head heavy, balanced and head light racket now.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

I had an arcsaber 5. It's made in Japan and not mid-range :S.

Not to be confused with the 6 or 4DX (which i just found on a website), which is made in Taiwan.

#8 Rimano, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  9. esppy

esppy Regular Member

10. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    True. The Arc 5 is essentially a slightly more head heavy Arc 7. Same specs and technology otherwise. Good all around performance but with a touch more power than the 7. Remember many pros used Arc 7 a while ago including Setiawan.

I've owned both 5 and 7. In fact, I went through 5+ of these. I was quite devastated when my last one broke a month ago. Now I found a source of 5DX :)

11. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

I'm loving this racket so far. Very happy I went with it instead of the Nanoray 900 now. It's great. Plenty of power and a pleasure to use.

Now I'm looking for a spare racket. The Arcsaber 5 can no longer be found here but I came across a 5DX. How similar are the 2 rackets. Can i switch from one to another seeing both are rated 3G4U? Also I'm reading that the DX has different stringing pattern. Will this be an issue? Am not sure if my local stringer will use different techniques for both rackets.

p.s. I only play at 24lbs of tension so the high tension stringing is not really something I'm worried about.

12. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Since my last 5 broke over a month before I got my 5DX, I can't make a direct side-by-side comparison. However here is what I feel. I use 3UG5.

I string mine myself. Any decent stringer will be ok with the different patterns. The DX seems to feel slightly more head heavy. The frame feels more rigid than the 5. All strung up and gripped with identical overgrip, on a digital scale, it weighs the same at 96-97g.

13. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

Thanks for the info :D

Looks like I'll be saving for an Arcsaber 5DX or an Arcsaber 9 FL as my next racket.... I like the pink of the Arcsaber 9FL. I think it gives it character and a couple of swings at the store felt good :D

14. blue.fired

blue.fired Regular Member

The Arc 5. Wow, that's a rare racket. Don't think I've ever even seen one. Looks great.

15. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

Yep.im really enjoying it.it feels heavy but its really powerful for an arcsaber.it just feels like a very solid racket.