Are two identical rackets exactly the same?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Rammler, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Rammler

Rammler New Member

Hi,

I got two astrox 88d Pros because i wanted a back up racket when the strints break on my first one.

Playing with the two rackets i felt a slightly difference between them (could be just psychological though).

I measured then that the rackets differ in balance point around 5 mm maybe. Is that normal?
    Shouldnt two identical rackets be exactly the same in terms of balance? Or could this difference be normal due to difference in overgrip material used or string weight....

I am not an expert in badminton equipment so i hope this is not a dumb question.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Normally there is fault tolerance on racket spec. On paper its +2 or -2. For weight as long as its 85-89, it still called 3U & for BP as long its 295-300 its abit HH or some brand use 4 of 5.

aside from that i mention, different setup might change racket spec. Afterall spec writen are measure with standard setup which is original grip & no string.
    Also the same setup old vs new can also be different. Old racket might had its original grip thorn apart, so less weight. Or old racket are kinda wet so its heavier than the fresh new one.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Rammler

Rammler New Member

Thanks for the reply. Could the string make a difference too? One hast yonex aerosonic, the other one bg80 power. Or is the difference in weight between two different strings negliable?

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    It's normal, unfortunately. I thought i had identical S pros but I measured when they were strung differently. They are interchangeable if i use thinner string on one and thicker on the other to balance them out.

BG80P to aerosonic is a little over 1g if memory serves. I can definitely feel the difference.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

5. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

As @Budi said, there are margins when producing rackets.

To elaborate a bit further:

Balance points are usually specified within a range of +-2.

Weight is usually specified to be within a 3u (85-89g), 4u (80-84g), 5u (75-79g)... range which covers a span of 5 grams each.

If you get 2 frames with one having a BP at - 2 and 85g, it will feel way different when compared to a +2 at 89g...

In the past Victor (or Yonex or both, can't really remember) had really big variation regarding the weight. Many people actually asked the sellers to weigh the rackets and then chose the one that fit their preferences or weighed the rackets themselves.

Li Ning (at least from my experience) had the (or still has) the best QC/manufacturing process (regarding keeping the specs as close as possible) with the slimmest margins. All rackets I bought brand new have not been off more than 1mm from the advertised BP and weight was always within 1g from the advertised specified weight (assuming my scale is somewhat accurate).

decoy likes this.
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

my Victor TK770 had everything in extreme side. The heaviest & head heaviest from its spec.
    Last time i measure my TK770 + BG66UM 26lbs + original grip + AC102, its 99gr 304BP.