Aviva Singapore Open 2005 Grand Final Day

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by weeyet, Jul 2, 2005.

1. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    Amazing Candra

i know everyone knows he is one of the most well respected doubles players in modern badminton.and has feature in many exciting matches.however i didnt expect candra to pull all the stops to make the finals crowd pleasing.he actually change his racket in the middle of the match right after he had pushed a shot towards the denmark opponent.that is the weirdst thing i have ever seen.i dont think anyone has seen a player run out of court to change his racket during the middle of the match.youve all gotta seee that scene again when you download it.he was like gone and back in a flash.

2. madturtle

madturtle Regular Member

last november's open here had the same thing happening. i cant remember if it was the same pair or eriksen. but that person ended up getting reprimanded by the umpire. it is considered a foul. i was suprised the umpire was quite lenient to him today.

but seriously i was rather shocked to see him scurrying off like a mouse to his bag and was wondering what he was up to.

3. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

I m so happy Taufik finally win......
    Go Taufik...

4. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    He won it so easily.....

5. JumpingSmash

JumpingSmash Regular Member

yeah !!! taufik and candra/sigit win , it's very good to see taufik finally can be a champion again
    But I am sad because gao/huang lose to the chinese younger pair

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

first post

wow..never know this forum exists till today...so i will say hi first :)
    good to know that taufik and candra/sigit won in today's final (yes, i am an indon, but based overseas :p). used to dislike taufik (a talented but spoilt brat with huge ego), but i observed that he has finally matured into a fine player especially after his olympic win last year. unbelievable matches against peter gade and lin dan, and he fully deserved his victory! hopefully he can maintain his form for the WC in august. he can afford to drop the malaysian open :)

candra/sigit....they're old...and i actually root for alven/luluk nowadays...but seem that the youngsters have declined in form recently. candra/sigit is slower too...and that will be dangerous against the youngsters like cai/fu and jung/lee (whom i rate very very highly...and they are already no 7 after less than 1 year). on skills and experience, candra/sigit probably is top of the list, together with paaske/rasmussen and eriksen/larsen, but, stamina and speed are no longer their weapons. anyway, good to see them collecting their second title of the year and third title after being re-paired late last year.

other upcoming young double players that i fancy: kidho/setiawan (but they always ended up losing to paaske/rasmussen in almost every tourney!) and gunawan/riyadi (currently WR40, but they managed to sneak into the second round in Singapore Open). i believe they will be up there in the top 10 come one year time. jung/lee is also another upcoming top double players...certainly the best from korea and a handy replacement for the 2 legendary pairs of ha/kim and lee/lee.

#166 badMania, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Taufik is on top of his game at the moment. Looking foward to the Msian Open.

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

it could be "fixed" u know...since the younger pair never won any majors...so, its kinda title rotation for those top 4 chinese pairs.

9. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Does anybody remember who are the semifinalists in WC 2003?? Especially the one defeated by Xia? was he lin dan?

10. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Hmmm.. not sure for this time.. but there are really some kind of system exists in Chinese team really?
    I've forgotten in which competition, but I remember Lin Dan said this before, "I train so hard, but still have to follow team's order" after losing to a teammate.. because the teammate holds a better record and is more likely to win against the opponent in final..

I hope I am wrong:)

#170 weeyet, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

the other semi-finalist was wong choon han and shon sheung mo

it was bao chunlai who lost to xia. bcl himself defeated taufik and roslin back-to-back in the round of 1/16 and quarter-final

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

i think there was a debate...there were some tourneys where one pair actually withdrawed from the final...and the title went to the other pair of course (esp for women's doubles). the chinese team also received some kinda warning i think.

13. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

yeah, is there any proof for this in badminton already?? I don't know....
    but this occurs in the chinese table tennis team (in a chinese affair SF, the one who is more likely to win the final if the other finalist is not chinese, should win in SF, of course not everytime)

14. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Anyway, to sunzhi, how did you put these captures from TV(channel 5) to computer?? or are you using computer to watch it??

15. ArmotecDude

ArmotecDude Regular Member

Go Indonesia!!!

I'm so happy Taufik and Candra/Sigit won. Taufik beat two Chinese players and beat his rival Lin Dan in a convincing 2 straight sets. Does anyone have video footage of Candra/Sigit vs. Boe/Mogensen? According to the pictures, the game looked like a great match.

Go Indonesia!!

16. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    She and her friend were sitting behind me at the guest section during the Taufik-Lindan match and were screaming for Taufik throughout the match... "tahan tahan..." (which means 'hang on') :D

17. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

was watching it on tv (linked to my pc and hs a tv card installed). used a cordless keyboard to do the capture...

18. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

the talk about match fixing isn't anything new, and i am sure it's there all the time. but just aint right to 'accuse' a team of doing so if the match didn't end as it should have been. in this case, the way i look at it, the two zhangs won fair and square. the match was exciting and the zhangs apart from having more fire, also hd more desire to win. if it was 'fixed' so the young pair who has not won anything big, won, thn i believe it should have been given to wei yili/zhao tingting instead.

anyway, let's see how they (the two zhangs) fare in the coming m'sia open. i think they are in the same quarter with the top korean pair....

just my 2 cts..

19. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

more captures on the final secs of the MD....

Attached Files:

20. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

hi... not all, only the finals...