Badaling Wall

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Loh, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This Friday morning, 15 August, unfortunately hcyong and I had to leave the rest of the BC guys to witness the Women's Table Tennis Team Bronze play-off at Peking University Gymnasium. Thereafter we would make our coach journey to the Great Wall - Badaling Wall, after a delightful lunch near the Olympic Games Village subway station.

At the table-tennis venue one Polish player fascinated me as she was handicapped with one of her arms amputed at the elbow. Yet she was determined and played her heart out to support her Chinese partner who was representing Poland also. Actually the Chinese were everywhere representing many other countries.

I was pleasantly surprised to find our late Singaporean philanthropist, multi billionaire, Tan Sri Khoo Teck Puat (1917-2001), being honoured by the Peking University with his sculpture and a wall plaque describing his background and achievements at one side of the entrance to the gym. Tan Sri Khoo's Foundation had donated RMB173 million to the Peking University for its sports complex. They highlighted his thoughts on success which principally reads:

"In life man need to have the timing and the attitude."

We were treated to an "emperor's" lunch because so many dishes were presented before us, together with Chinese beer and Coca Cola - all for only RMB50 per tour member! This was arranged by our two resourceful tour guides.

To round up our lunch we were treated to some colourful singing, dancing and traditional music. And the souvenir stalls inside this restaurant gave a chance to some last-minute buying by some of our new-found friends.

The journey to Badaling Wall was scenic. We were very lucky as rain the day before cleared the notorious Beijing smog for an enthralling experience. To save time and to make it easier on our senior members, including yours truly ;), our tour guide suggested we take the cable car instead of climbing, which we agreed.

Badaling Wall and its surrounds were a sight to behold! But now there was a feeling of calm and peace among the great expanse of rolling mountains and different shades of green unlike long, long ago when many battles were fought and much blood was shed.

Visitors from near and far, locals and foreigners took advantage of this special Olympic Games period to pay their homage to this eternal place called the Great Wall of China, a man-made construction that can be discernable from the moon!

My new Brazilian friend, who was sporting a cone-shaped farmer's hat, was simply ecstatic and greeted everyone loudly with his "China jia-you" slogan with one hand holding his still recording video-cam.

It was a great time to practise your photography and you not only shoot the scenery you are also at liberty to shoot anyone! :D

Attached Files:

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

wow, that lady is amazing, to be able to control the ball like that with a handicap, hats off to her ...
    thanks for the pics ...

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

forgot to ask, have you got tickets to the closing ceremony tonight?

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lunch outside Games Village

Here are some of the pictures of our journey to the Badaling Wall:

Attached Files:

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wish I have but my stay was too short and I have to be content watching the closing ceremony at home tonight. I'm looking forward to it. ;)

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

oh i see, i didn't realise you had flown back already.
    too bad i'm going to miss it later!

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Now the final edition of my pix to Badaling Wall

It was a pleasant drive to Badaling Wall. The smog had cleared and we were in full view of the beauty that surrounded us right up to the highlands before we took the cable car up the Wall.. There we were met with an even grander beauty created by man and God. Excited and happy faces greeted us as we climbed to the peak. :)

Attached Files:

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Lucky for you guys..^^

..from the pics, looks like you guys went on a perfect day. As it was not only clear and sunny, but also there seemed to be not too many people going up.
    In our case, BadFever, smashed-1 (Jason), Fengwei and myself went on a clear and sunny day, but unfortunately unlike your case, it was on a Saturday as the whole place was packed with tourists.:p
    We ended up trekking up & down the Badaling loft section, literally, all crammed, with other tourists.
    We also were planning to take the roller coaster ride to the bottom, but there was just too much people queuing up.:p
    *Kevin, Jason and Fengwei should have pics of our trip.:cool:

#8 ctjcad, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Somehow some pix on the drive up to Badaling Wall are missing from my previous post.

Attached Files:

10. yling

yling Regular Member

wow what a nice report and photos!
    thanks Loh!

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you. I'm glad you like them. ;)

12. jeanliu

jeanliu New Member

Hi, your photos look great! I like the Great Wall with Olympics sign, feels like Hollywood. :p

13. jeanliu

jeanliu New Member

Makes me wanna visit Beijing this autumn. The Great Wall, the Bird Nest, and perfect season. Hope won't be too many people thinking the same.

www.ourexplorer.com
    local guides, local wisdom

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes that "One World One Dream" slogan really encapsulates the spirit of the Olympic Games. It is a credit to the workers who managed to put the giant slogan so high up so as not to let anyone miss it.

I almost missed capturing this Hollywood style fabrication as our coach was turning away and I had to photograph it from the back before it disappeared from sight! :p

#14 Loh, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  15. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Are the cable cars newly installed? How far up does it go? I don't remember seeing that 2 years ago. I could only scaled 3 towers. Cable cars is a good idea to get up there faster and less tire. :D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    They don't seem to be new to me. :D
    I think they transported us quite far up the mountain and thereafter we walked right up to the peak. It didn't take that long. :)

But perhaps many buildings are new and there may be new communities being added along the way to Badaling Wall.

Hcyong and I didn't have enough time to savour the rest of Beijing, particularly the historical sites like Tien An Men, etc. And I missed the newly acclaimed National Theatre near that place! :(

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

If not mistaken..

..some portion of Badaling @ the Great Wall area has been either preserved or restored.
    Also, the Road Cycling Race during this yr's OG also passed through this area, and perhaps used as the finishing circuit.

18. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, i don't think anybody would have time to visit all the sites + take in all the olympic games. looks like you managed to find a nice balance though, i might be visiting china at the end of the year, really looking forward to it.

19. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    wow really nice pics!!!!!:):):):)