Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Ok, now I'm relieved I didn't get to see it. :(

2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Japan Open is held everyyear :D:p

3. Yulius

Yulius Regular Member

RIP Shinshin Pharmaceutical, lost 0-3 to Unisys

4. kurako

kurako Regular Member

This information is only for extreme Badminton in Japan fanatics; to mere mortals, including me, many of the names listed below will be obscure.

According to an S/J League announcement, the list of players who will be retiring from S/J League badminton (I believe that this can be interpreted to mean competitive badminton) at the end of this season (i.e., March 31) goes as follows:

Male Players
    1. Kazuno Kenta (Nihon Unisys)
    2. Kabutoya Hikaru (Hitachi Info and Telecom Engineering)
    3. Yamasaki Yuta (Hitachi Info and Telecom Engineering)
    4. Komatsuzaki Yuya (NTT-East)
    5. Matsumaru Kazuki (NTT-East)
    6. Tabuchi Yuki (JR Hokkaido)

Female Players
    1. Murayama Yumi (Hokuto Bank)
    2. Nagata Rei (Hokuto Bank)
    3. Matsuo Shizuka (NTT-East)
    4. Imabeppu Kaori (Yonex)
    5. Doi Anna (Yonex)
    6. Naito Mami (Yonex)
    7. Yonemoto Haruka (ACT SAIKYO)
    8. Sakaguchi Chika (ACT SAIKYO)
    9. Fukumoto Suzuka (ACT SAIKYO)
    10. Omori Mai (77 Bank)

ant01 and Master like this.
  5. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Considering Kenta's retirement from international badminton, I guess it's not a surprise to see him go.

The other recognisable names would be Mami Naito, Shizuka Matsuo and Kaori Imabeppu.

6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Let's hope that this helps promoting badminton (in Japan or globally) just like how Haikyuu!! popularizes volleyball

gionna likes this.
  7. Cunning Linguist

This video of the Saishunkan - Unisys matchup includes the last game of the first match, the following two matches, loads of interiews with players, celebrations, the sending off for the retiring players @kurako mentioned, and the trophy presentation(s).

I hope you don't mind me quoting this in another thread, but I found your observation so accurate, I wanted to comment.
    Usually, I find this cheering extremely endearing, but you are absolutely right, it's over the top here from Unisys. They basically jump on the court at every point. What's more, they direct their "cheering" in large parts at the opponent rather than their own players, which is a different quality from what I can observe from the Sainshunkan players. They also do it more intensely when the opponent is on their benches side.

This "cheer-bullying" also proves very effective: Except for the second AY game (which ends with like 5 unforced errors by Takahashi) Saishunkan lose all games they have to play close to the Unisys bench.

kurako likes this.
  8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Considering the team kit, it seems like a corporate direction. Maybe sponsorship too?

9. Master

Master Regular Member

Kohei Gondo/Ayane Kurihara and Kenya Mitsuhashi/Naru Shinoya will have their first appearance at Vietnam IC 2018.

So, all these 6 players additional of Team B member will be mixed doubles pairs likely.
    Yui Urai/Rena Miyaura are the last possible thing, but they haven't joined any tournament yet. I hope that JPN mixed double progress going better this year, especially with their new coach.

BeeKi likes this.
  10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Just for a little trivia, on March 2, the NBA issued a press release announcing that two new corporations, Rinnai and Life Card would be joining their list of sponsors in 2018. The list now runs as follows:

Yonex
    Daihatsu (car manufacturer; wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota)
    JTB (Japan's largest travel agency)
    Rinnai (gas appliance manufacturer)
    Life Card (credit card company)
    ANA (Japan's largest airline)

Incidentally, JTB is offering a package tour (3 nights/5 days) to the Thomas & Uber Cup 2018. For around 200,000 JPY, participants will get a round trip economy flight to Bangkok, hotel accommodation, a photograph/signing session with the players, and will be entered into a draw for some Yonex goods. (http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/news/2018/02/1802081800.html <Japanese only>)

On another note, the Japanese national team wear is now on sale in sport shops throughout Japan. For those of you not quite sure what the uniform actually looks likes, see http://www.yonex.co.jp/badminton/news/2018/03/1803021500.html. ... I think I prefer NTT-East's uniform.

Master, stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Baba Yusei is currently in HK just before he takes up full time with NTT in April (I think). I was invited to meet him. First time his plane was delayed coming to HK so that got cancelled. Next day, my work overran and couldn't control the time. Hope another opportunity comes around. Sigh.

12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I am sure you will get another chance!!

I saw Baba Yusei play for NTT-East on the final day of the S/J Tournament, when Momota was nursing an ankle injury. Baba lost a very tight match against Tsukamoto Koki of JR Hokkaido that day, and looked totally dejected.

Whatever the case, NTT-East in 2017 only had Momota to rely on in the MS category. The 2016 scandal was, I feel, incredibly damaging for the team, not least because quality players probably avoided joining the company. Finally, things seem to be improving.:)

Master likes this.
  13. Popin

Popin Regular Member

@kurako
    Is the top 4 tournament considered a big event in Japan? If yes, then is it more like AE or SSF regarding its popularity (AE more prestigious)?

They even provide a VIP ticket with a set meal?

#253 Popin, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  14. Cunning Linguist

Well, they've established it only a few months ago, even after the start of the league (which determines who the "top 4" are), so I wouldn't call it "prestigious" exactly. ;)

15. kurako

kurako Regular Member

As Japan is a fairly inward-looking country, the S/J League has a special significance, even for the stronger players. Most of the teams in the S/J League are corporate teams, therefore, players represent their employers. This generally means a lot to them. The Top Four, as Cunning Linguist mentions, was only established a few months ago, and this year is more of a trial event, than anything. However, from the next season onwards, the S/J League will be largely re-vamped, and the Top Four tournament will serve as the climax event to end the series, so yes, at least as far as Japan is concerned, it should prove a big event.
    Even this year, with the exception of Momota, I believe that most of the big names will feature.

However, just to put things in context, badminton is a very minor sport in this country.

Popin and stanleyfm like this.
  16. Cunning Linguist

Saishunkan! :D
    [​IMG]
    After losing the league title in rather embarrassing fashion, they bounced back to beat Hokuto Bank in the semis and Unisys in the final.
    Fukuhiro vs Hoshi/Higashino: 21-15, 21-13 and AY vs Sayaka Takahashi (Okuhara still not fit?) 21-17, 21-7.

Men's final between Tonami and Unisys is apparently still ongoing and at 1-1. After Hoki/Sonoda had beaten Inoue/Kaneko in three, Yu Igarishi equalized by beating Kanta Tsuneyama in two.
    Couldn't find a stream all weekend, maybe there'll be some footage on Youtube later.

#256 Cunning Linguist, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    stanleyfm and BeeKi like this.
  17. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Awww the Saishunkan ladies finally win it??
    Congratulations to themmmmm

Why Takamatsu was not playing though?

18. Cunning Linguist

Both Unisys and Hokuto Bank elected to field their #1 pair as the second double. Had the matchup been at 1-1 after the first double and the single, both Takamatsu and Tanaka/Yonemoto would have been heavy favourites to win against Shida/Matsuyama.

In case of Hokuto Bank, this nearly paid off, since Fukuhiro struggled quite a bit against Matsumoto/Nagahara in the semis (29-27, 14-21, 21-16).
    Missing from the ties were the singles players for Hokuto Bank (Yuri Nakamura played instead of Kawakami) and Unisys (Sayaka Takahashi instead of NO).

19. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Indeed, Hokuto Bank almost get their bet right

But it seems like a big blunder in Unisys as AY is not at the same league as Saena

20. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Minor - yet they have achieved considerable success in team events recently. Mad props!

PS: Find it bewildering that primary schools there don't offer it as a ex-curricular activity. One could only imagine if it was more widespread for the kids there... :)