Badminton Online Game

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by phaarix, Oct 12, 2006.

1. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Hm, if you don't hit a direction button, the shuttle will fly over the net.

ONly hit the "stroke" button and perhaps UP or DOWN!

When i play on the left side and hit RIGHT, then the shuttle will not fly over the net, don't know why.

Perhaps you have to jump before...

2. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

the game is great, it took me quite a while to stop losing, but it is woth spending time on, thanks

3. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

xt6666, SDB is a game of skill.

You have to get behind your shuttle, a bit more if you want more angle, a bit less if you want to drop or clear instead of smashing or driving, tighten the angle with the forward key so the shuttle grazes the net without going into it...

You have to work on the little things, just like real life. Otherwise, you can't beat that Chinese player ^^

4. hara^kazuko

I cant get the shuttle back in SDB, im just stucked there and the racquet wont even move~~

5. PhoenixMateria

It takes practice... SDB is probably the most annoying game there is at first, because nothing seems to work ^^"

At first you shouldn't even worry about your opponent. Look at the shuttle, look at the shuttle's shadow, and try to make a shot. Then make various shots. Just get the hang of hitting consistently.

Sounds like coaching now that I re-read myself ^^"

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Heh, but it wouldn't be a very good idea to look at the shuttles shadow as it comes towards you in real life :p.

Anyway, can you direct the shuttle in SDB? I can't figure it out... although I've got the timing of hits down ok now, I can hold a decent rally every now and then :D.

EDIT: Ah never mind I've got it now!

Are you holding the "hit" button down? Once you're in position behind the shuttle you need to hold down the button and the player will automatically hit it back. That's what had me confused anyway, I was just tapping the button as the shuttle came to me.

#46 phaarix, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  7. hara^kazuko

NOW I finally got it... It seems that I'm just too dumb to discover it myself... thanks a lot

8. adameeyw

adameeyw Regular Member

9. PhoenixMateria

phaarix,

You direct the shuttle by pressing either the 'up' or 'down' arrow keys as you make your shot, corresponding to your character's left and right respectively.

You can also change the angle with 'forward' for a steeper angle and 'back' for a less steep one.

For example, if you get in position at some distance behind the shuttle, jump, and press forward+up as you make your shot, you'll smash to the line on your left side.

The one I can't figure out is pressing 'back' and 'forward' to smash to the other line... ^^"

Oh, and don't always hold the button down. Depending on how long you hold it, you can do different shots. You either tap it right or hold it very shortly for a drop shot.

10. adameeyw

adameeyw Regular Member

cannot woh

hey.... i try to go to the nes game center but cannot woh...is the link correct?

11. melbourne

melbourne New Member

Why hasn't there ever been a real top of thr line video game made? Is it too expensive or has no one thought of it yet?

Or does it exist and I don't know about it?

Melbourne

12. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

hi
    sent to your email id above.. Let me know if you have any problems... you will need the free macromedia flash player though... To check if it is installed on your system try opening this .swf file with your IE or Firefox webbrowser.
    enjoy....

13. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

14. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Thanks, I've got the controls down pretty well now, just need to practice :D! I have been able to beat the Canadian and American players so far. Had a look at the China player though and he's crazy! I managed to get one point heh. Though I think I got lucky. The game is a lot better than I thought at first sight, I never really gave it a go until now and I've gotta say it's pretty cool. Especially considering it's on the ancient NES. Are you able to beat the Chinese player?

Yeah, an up to date Badminton game would be really cool. Have you played Virtua Tennis? Now if we could get a "Virtua Badminton" of the same sort of quality I could imagine that would be an incredibly fun game. If a NES Badminton game can be this fun, then why haven't we had a single (proper) Badminton game since? If a country like China really got into the game development industry then I'm sure we would...

15. PhoenixMateria

Yeah, I can beat the Chinese, but the games are pretty close. You just can't be afraid of his smashes is all. Oh, and heap up the pressure, continuously.

That and you have to be really consistent, since it's either you attack like LD when there's the slightest opening and smash the shuttle on a line at the other side of the court from him, or make less mistakes than the computer. :eek:

I can beat the Chinese doubles on my own, just switching characters on serve. Try it sometime, it's easier than singles. Weird :confused:

As a side note, phaarix, you said the game is much better than at first sight once you start playing correctly. Isn't that like badminton itself? :p

16. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Haha, yes indeed :D! Living in New Zealand I was brought up with the impression that Badminton was sort of a "sissy's" sport and I played Tennis till the age of about 11 which was when I started to play Badminton and liked it so much I gave up Tennis to focus on it :). I mean at first I didn't even realise you could angle the shuttle down :p, I thought it was all slow lobs over the net!

17. adameeyw

adameeyw Regular Member

thanks chikkubhai... Now I can play the game already... it's a cool game...
    Thanks again..

18. PhoenixMateria

That's the problem... Badminton is always a sissy's sport until you see a 200 km/h smash :eek: and make your first perfect baseline to baseline clear.

People have that image and that's why badminton isn't popular. It's not about media coverage or anything like. We have to teach them what badminton really is, that's all.

Speaking of which, the music in SDB isn't the best, hm? ^^"

19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Lol! No it probably gives the complete opposite impression of what Badminton's about! I think that's one of the things that put me off the game originally... heard the music and immediately got the impression that the game had nothing in common with the actual sport :p.

This image though... it's quite annoying really. I took my racquet to school about a month ago. I was asked by one of my "friends" if I played Tennis or Squash >_>. I told them no I played Badminton. They then said something along the lines of "Oh my god you actually play Badminton? That's a gay sport" :rolleyes:.

Thing is a couple of weeks later after seeing me play Badminton during lunchtime their idea of Badminton had completely changed and they now see Badminton for what it really is - a fast, serious, and competitive sport. Yet somehow before even seeing it they still managed to form the idea that Badminton was a "gay sport" :rolleyes:.

20. Thivan

Thivan Regular Member

too true the problem is people think badminton is a slow paced oldmans game