Beng Hong has had enough of playing second fiddle

Discussion in 'China Open 2004' started by Fook90, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    BY RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: Shuttler Kuan Beng Hong is tired of being the second stringer in the national team.

After four years in the national back-up team, the 21-year-old Beng Hong had even considered giving up badminton after failing to make the grade to the senior team.

Now he has shelved plans to quit and is determined to make an impact in the back-to-back China and Singapore Opens to gain promotion to the elite squad.

The six-star US$250,000 China Open starts next Wednesday and it will be followed with the five-star US$170,000 Singapore meet from Nov 15-21.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are expected to name 13 players - nine men and four women - for the 2006 Gemilang Programme - and at the moment only the top three singles players - Wong Choong Hann, Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim - are assured of a place in the project.

Out of the nine, five are expected to be singles players and Beng Hong, Yeoh Kay Bin, Lee Tsuen Seng and Mohd Roslin Hashim, will have to battle it out for the remaining slots.

Kedah's Beng Hong, who is eyeing a place in the 2006 Programme, said his failure to win the Singapore Satellite in September against local boy Kendrick Lee was a big blow to his morale.

“I was very down after the defeat. I had beaten Kay Bin in the semi-finals. Prior to the tournament, I was down with fever. In the final, I suffered a muscle tear but I played on. I came back and coach (Misbun Sidek) was very disappointed. I just felt my spirit was broken,†lamented Beng Hong.

“At my age, many other players are already winning titles. I competed in the same World Junior Championships with Chong Wei, Sony Dwi Kuncoro (Indonesia) and Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai (Chinese players) in 2000. I lost to Chunlai in the last 16. All four have made name for themselves and just look at me ? I am still in the back-up squad.

“But I do not want to end my career like this. I know I can still play good badminton. I have the speed and power but what I lack is the fitness and skill.

“I have been working on my fitness and I am also learning to strategise my game. I will do my best in the coming China Open and try to get a place in the 2006 squad. If I can continue to do well in the next two years, I will be also fighting for a place to represent Malaysia in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games,†he said.

Beng Hong faces a tough opener in the upcoming China Open. He has been drawn to play seventh seed Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark.

“I met him in the Swiss Open in the second round this year and lost. It will be tough but I will try my best to turn the tables on him,†added the world number 62nd player.

Besides Beng Hong, Malaysia will also be represented by Choong Hann, Chong Wei and Kay Bin in the China Open.

The doubles players are the men's pair of Choong Tan Fook-Chew Choong Eng, Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui, Ong Soon Hock-Tan Bin Shen and the women's pair of Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty.

I hope Beng Hong wins Kenneth in the first round, he would most likely be promoted after the win. I have seen him play, he has got speed and power. I think he probably lacks tactical knowlege. Anyway good luck to him !!!

2. hoioh

hoioh Regular Member

Beng Hong must working more harder for his future.
    Boleh!

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    am i very judgemental or is there just something wrong with these few quotes assumedly from the very mouth of Kuan Beng Hong himself.

i think what 'he' said about himself really makes him look either very stupid or he's been fooling around for the last 4 years....

anybody would like to comment or share on this bit...

cheers

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    no takers on this issue?

my point is that fitness hould be the last excuse a pro should give. everyone has 24 hours a day and its up to the individual to fully utilize it. its the least discriminating factor between indivs cause anyone can have better fitness if they put in the effort.

but skill, height, natural flair, and such are not so in the hands of the player himself.

so 4 years and not enuff fitness........... what a joke.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Fitness is a common theme throughout M'sian badminton. Just reading the reports over the last few years, it is usually a recurring theme. I agree, it seems a rather lame excuse for a professinal athelete.

If fitness seems to be a problem, then where is the problem. If it occurs during games, then one would logically look at the players' strategy during games. Thus, it might be a tactical problem.

6. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Where's his brains???

Oh! That's where there are!! Non existent.

7. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

i think whats also very important is that he has to have a strong mental strength...if not he wouldnt be able to play to his best .

8. SiMpLe^^gAl

SiMpLe^^gAl Regular Member

Maybe he hasn't really work out what are his weaknesses. Lets hope he'll do well in the future. He's still very young.