[BWF] China in historic sweep

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2009' started by cxytdn, Mar 9, 2009.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

China in historic sweep

9 March 2009

By Raphael Sachetat. Pix by BadmintonPhoto​

Lin Dan beat Lee Chong Wei once again in the final of the Yonex All England, making it a clean sweep for China, for the first time in their history, and the first time overall since Denmark in 1948. China’s five gold medals definitely make Li Yongbo’s squad the very best in the world.

Lin Dan was quite relaxed for his post match press conference, even if he made it clear that he was in a hurry to go … shopping ! The Olympic champion answered questions taking his time, however, with his usual sense of humour, even checking what country the journalist badges were from before hinting what kind of tactic works against Chong Wei.

“Don’t tell Peter Gade” he laughed. “Seriously , there was no specific tactic today. I made a couple of bad decisions in the first game but I was able to get back and win it. I felt quite confident during the match. We gave the spectators a good show and I believe that they were the real winners today,” said Lin Dan.

The Chinese had given a splendid performance. Cooler than usual, letting his feelings show yet in a more tempered matter than previous years. “I have learned since the Olympic to refrain a bit and keep my calm and I want to show the world that I am not a bad boy as some people have said,” he smiled.

The match in itself was a great spectacle, especially in the first game when both shuttlers played every single shot in the book. Lee was very focused, very low on his knee, while Lin was obviously not giving it all out, keeping some energy for later. If Lin was leading from far, he committed some unforced errors, which led to a situation where it was Lee who got ahead 19/17.

At that crucial point, the Malaysian seemed a bit eager to finish it up and missed an overhead shot. “After I missed that specific shot, I lost focus for a few points and I lost the first game,” said Chong Wei.

The second game was even, unlike the final score would show. Even, until Lin Dan went ahead 14/12. The Chinese was attacking much more in the second game and Lee Chong Wei then lost 7 points in a row for a final 19/21 – 12/21 loss.

“I really don’t know what happened after 12/14. But he played really well. I think Lin Dan has even improved since the Olympics. I did better today than in Beijing, but I feel like his game is even more stable. He doesn’t only rely on attacks but uses more skills now,” said Chong Wei, who admitted that these last 3 losses back to back would provide the Olympic champion with a clear psychological advantage in the future.

For Lin Dan, this victory pleased him but he wasn’t overwhelmed like he had been here in the past. No T-shirt throwing, no Army sign to his coach, but the will to keep on winning to become the sport’s best ambassador. “I’ve won everything and now my target is to keep winning with the manner and become a great ambassador for the sport. I am pleased to have won my fourth title here as the sport seems popular here. I hope it can be popular everywhere as it is in China.”

If Xia Xuanze was on the bench during Lin Dan’s match, it was Zhang Ning’s turn to sit behind her shuttler when Wang Yihan played Tine Rasmussen. The Dane had another great match and her previous night’s comeback was on every one’s mind when the exact same score of 9/16 appeared on the board in the decider in favour of the Chinese.

This time however, too tired, and facing an opponent who was obviously stronger mentally, the Dane had to finally bow 19/21 – 23/21 – 12/21. The show that they put on ravished the full house of spectators and the first two games were a delight.

The Dane was making the points – but also committing the errors, while Wang was very cleverly putting everything back in play with a high level of precision. Her net play was very sharp and she kept her spirit going in spite of missing out on a first match point when she was 21/20 up in the second.

Her 21/23 loss, however, didn’t affect her confidence : “I was still confident because I felt like she was getting tired and I was still feeling quite strong towards the end. And even if she had come back the previous night, I wasn’t so worried” said Wang Yihan, who was to take the third 21/11.

The Chinese went on to celebrate with her coach Zhang Ning, showing great joy. “That’s how I am. I express myself on court as I am a rather joyful person. I had beaten her twice before but this time feels especially good as it’s only my second time playing here and I had lost to my compatriot Lu Lan then. I believe that I’ve played some of my best badminton this week and I’m thrilled,” said Wang.

Tine on her side was a bit frustrated but still happy about her overall performance, given that she wasn’t even sure to make the trip to the All England, and she was also praising the quality of her opponent. “I wasn’t even sure of making the semi-finals coming here and I was actually very close to losing at that stage so I shouldn’t complain. Of course I am disappointed but I took my chances and I believe we played well. As often, I won my points and she scored on my errors and there was too many of them today as I was tired,” said Tine, who confirmed she would skip the Wilson Swiss Open to rest and prepare for the Sudirman Cup.

He Hanbin and Yu Yang had given China their first title earlier in the day by beating Korea’s Ko and Ha, even if the latter played a tremendous first game. Logic prevailed then when the Olympic bronze medalists took over in the second and third games to give China a good start in their quest for the clean sweep.

After Lin and Wang did their work, China had one more title to secure in order to create history as the women’s doubles was an all China affair. It all came down to Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng who were facing the unexpected guests in the final, Korea’s Han Hang Soon and Hwang Ji Man, who have been pairing for only several months.

The battle was brave but the important points were scored by the experienced Chinese who obviously enjoyed their day in a packed National Indoor Arena. 21/15 – 21/17 and China was entering History as the first nation since Denmark in 1948 – at the time, very few countries were involved in International badminton – to scoop all 5 titles.

Li Yongbo, head coach and Vice President of the Chinese Badminton Association was all smiles and proud to accompany his men’s doubles at the press conference. “We didn’t think of getting all medals and I wanted my shuttlers to focus on their own category and matches and not worry about their compatriots nor the fact that we could make the clean sweep. However, I am very proud of my players today. It is a team spirit that won here,” said Li Yongbo.

“Everyone involved in the preparation and coaches should be thanked for this success. We had a long time of training lately and I believe that this was the right decision to make. Some may have felt that our absence from the Super Series finals was not a good thing but our main concern was for the player’s good and it seems like it was a good option today.

“But it’s not a reason to brag. We have to focus on the next targets, amongst which the Sudirman Cup at home.”

Attached Files:

• ae1.gif
      ae1.gif
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
    • ae2.gif
      ae2.gif
      File size:
      60.6 KB
      Views:
    • ae3.gif
      ae3.gif
      File size:
      58 KB
      Views:
    • ae4.gif
      ae4.gif
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
    • ae5.gif
      ae5.gif
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
  2. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

Thanks For Sharing!

3. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    USA rank higher than Malaysia !!!

4. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    That's probably a mistake MAS won more times than USA.

Thanks for sharing!

5. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

keep on effort chinese players, China will be ranked 1st one day in the future :)

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hey, my name was mentioned :D:D

7. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    CHN will even Eng records if they sweep the tournament for the next consecutive 26 yrs:D

8. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

for sure I believe they can do it, but maybe take more than 26 years.
    I hope to see they are ranked 1st when I am at my retirement age :D

9. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Of course, your the coolest and most handsomest!

10. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

poor Zheng Bo,though he has won 2 titles with Gao Ling.but there's no his name on the list

11. headphones

headphones Regular Member

Hahaha oh Lin Dan, you crack me up :p
    The man knows his P.R. down cold

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haiya...is time to admit u are old man...uncle sam...:p...hehe

thumb up....thanks for sharing....:)

13. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    OK..... Must go to do specs..

Attached Files:

• AE6.jpg
      AE6.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
  14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yep, on last sunday during the ae final.
    HISTORY WERE MADE ONCE AGAIN!:D:D

15. Foreverlove

Foreverlove Regular Member

zhang Jun's name is there instead of his, what a shame.