Carbonex 8 SP Tour Question

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by DR, Jun 4, 2001.

1. DR

DR Guest

Hi .. my friend just bought me a Carb 8 SP Tour... my question.. is this a good racket for a beginner myself.. and how should I string this ie.. tension etc...

thx

2. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    cab8 should be a nice beginner racquet altho i recommend an isometric since it has a larger sweet spot...means its easier to hit.
    also, as for string tensions, i recommend that u string it low for now....like say, 18lb.
    the lower the tension, the larger the sweet spot.

3. Mat

Mat Guest

Hmm, I would say 20 would be better prefered.

4. Mat

Mat Guest

Hmm, I would say 20 lbs would be better prefered.

5. qazmot

qazmot Regular Member

Equipment Technician
    Im a beginner and bought a carbonex 8 SP 3 months ago then now Im planning to change the string however I dont know what would be the best string tension for this type of racquet.

Sticker in the cone says 16-20lbs. Is this the minimum/maximum tension?

Also I read here about the cross and main in the stringing the racquet, what does it mean?

Please help!

Thanks/Cheers

#5 qazmot, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    You can go to 26lbs safely. For string as a start BG65 is very good. Not expensive and durable.

The best string tension? as long as it doesn't break the frame is good... :)

Actually I don't believe there is such thing as the best tension for a racket. It's what tension is best for you. It depends on how you play, not the racket.

Main is the vertical string on the frame, cross is the horizontal... purpose to string the main at lower poundage than the cross is to retain the actual frame shape. In many case most people would string the same poundage for the main and cross...

Hope this helps...

7. qazmot

qazmot Regular Member

Equipment Technician
    wow thanks for quick response..
    actually my racquet is not at carbonex 8 SP TOUR but its carbponex 8 SP only and maid in taiwan,,

right now i dont know the tension of my string because when i bought it I didnt knew then that tension has an effect the way how the game being played hmm correct me if this is wrong :D.

Now I assume that my racquet string tension is in between of 16lbs to 20lbs like stated in the sticker so referring to what you had told Im planning and can re-string my racquet to 20-22lbs without breaking my racquet :D and see how what will be the outcome for me.

cheers!

8. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    owhhh... yours has aluminum frame... 22lbs will be fine... :)

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I started off with a CAB8SP too, 2UG4. I had it restrung at 22lbs with bg65, no problems what so ever. This racquet is pretty stiff, and the shots feel very hard even at 22lbs.

10. qazmot

qazmot Regular Member

Equipment Technician
    thats good to hear, atleast now Im wont worrying to restring my racquet 1-2 lbs higher than the recommended tension:D

11. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    another old thread being dug up.......
    my experience on Carb8 SP at age 15. strung at 20lbs, if i am not mistaken.
    the frame collapsed at the t-joint. :crying:
    aluminum frame isnt as strong as it looks.

12. Kento

Kento Regular Member

I have just purchased a Carbonex 8 (Full Carbon Shaft) which is around 33-38 years old but in near-new condition as the previous owner hardly used it. It has B-8500 O on the cap.
    Though he tells me he had it re-strung using the 'most expensive string available' at his fitness club, I have played with it and want to re-string it at a higher tension.
    I guess from what I have read that it is already strung at between 16-20lbs.
    I want to use BG65 (royal-blue).
    Please advise me what is the highest tension the frame will be able to sustain without 'sinking' or other racquet damage taking place?

13. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    Hi. Unless you want to the the risk of damaging/breaking your racket you shouldn't restring it higher than what's specified (20lbs max). It may be near new but it is still 33-38 years old and materials still age even if lightly used. If you are keen to play with higher tensions you should get yourself a racket whose frame has been designed to take the higher tensions. Any of the current generation mid-priced rackets will fit the bill I think.

14. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Thank you.