Carlton Prototype

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mds nl, Jan 25, 2010.

1. rattos

rattos Regular Member

let me know if you would like to sell it, i live in UK and would like to buy a V1.2

2. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

I have both.
    The prototype/razor 1.0 is heavier than the VTT.
    The VTT is quicker and feels lighter to play with.
    Smashing is more fun with the Prototype.

The Prototype is a mixed/all round racket while the VTT is a doubles racket.

The prototype does not play well with high tension. The racket torques in your hand. Max 26 pounds for it play well. The VTT handles higher tensions and plays well exhibiting better control. I have mine at 28 with ashaway .67 - perfect combination for me.

:)

Regards,
    asmd.

3. racquetattack

racquetattack Regular Member

web sales
    hard to compare the VTT and razor because of the different stringing.

4. Masch78

Masch78 Regular Member

IT Company
    That sounds great - I guess I will give the Razor 1.0 the edge :) I missed the extra punch with the VTT - sounds like the Razor has it. Tensionwise i I play at 24 lbs and planned to string the Razor with this tensions as well. String will be the Ashaway ZyMax 67.

5. racquetattack

racquetattack Regular Member

web sales
    good choice, that is my favorite string.

6. Masch78

Masch78 Regular Member

IT Company
    Got the Razor 1.0 yesterday - unfortunately I out of town for a week - damn the optics of this racket kicks ass. Much better than on every picture :) I'm amazed!

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Spotted this in the WC pics:

CarltonXYZ.jpg

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Airlite Cyclone

The player wasn't shy about it [​IMG] and already posted it on his fb: new Carlton Airlite Cyclone

CarltonCyclone.jpg

9. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    That looks really cool. Which player?

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It is actually printed at the base of the shaft but I could probably piece together what it says because I knew the name :D: Erik Meijs.

11. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)

Looks like he is still using the factory strings. :) According to their website Carlton classify it as an intermediate racket. Retails for around £90.00

#171 allyjack110, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  12. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I've got some Carlton air lite rackets for sale including the cyclone if anyone wants to buy one. They do look really good, especially in the flesh rather than on camera. I also have elite 2011 and 2013 models.

13. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

How does the 2013 Elite model compare to previous versions?

14. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I don't know how the specs compare but the 2013 model seems slightly less head heavy and less stiff than the 2013 version but I personally prefer the looks of the 2011 version

15. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    Really wished that he posted that review. Miss it know.

I ordered the V1.1 today in a webshop (had a 50 euro giftcertificate, so why not). Started playing badminton on the age of 9 using Carlton head heavy rackets, never switched.
    Past season I started using the Vapour Trail Tour, and I really like it in the doubles (the precision in the drops is awesome) but in singles I seem to miss some extra power in clears and smashes that the head heavy rackets deliver so I kept playing with my Powerblade Elite (lovely racket). Unfortunately strings have snapped over 6 times in a season, and it was time for something new. Since a teammate allready has the Vapour Trail Elite, and I obviously did'nt want the same my first choice would have been the Kinesis X90/80 but that wasn't available in the mentioned webshop.
    Since Carlton has never let me down when it comes to head-heavy rackets I ordered the V1.1 without a second of a doubt.

But now there are so little reviews, I'm getting a little concerned... What to do, what to do...

16. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    "He" = dreamseeker.

Somehow the quoting failed, have to get used to this forum.

17. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I have always found the prototype and razor rackets to be really good. I have played mostly with the v1.0 which was a really good racket but lacked a little power for smashes etc. I have used the v1.1 a little which seemed to have more power and not much loss of control so I'm sure you will get on fine with it. The head light razors are so fast for doubles play, i was really impressed but again they lacked power for me for smashes and backhand clears. I hope this helps.

18. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    Thank you for your feedback. Suppose I should give it a try.

The extra power is what I was looking for, since I'm one out of two or three in my league that have the power to make a crosscourt clear from one back-end to the other (allthough some of the other clubs use shuttles that are way to fast in my opinion, its like a beginner can make the shot). Now I've been using the Vapour Trail Tour I lost that edge, since I can only make that shot with it when I'm really warmed up after a while, and it costs a lot more energy. Really hope the V1.1 does it for me.

19. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    It came in today, tomorrow evening I will give it a try. First impression and dry swinging is okay. Unfortunately I have a blister up my hand now while working in the front-yard this afternoon, so I'm not sure whether I can make up a decent opinion by tomorrow.

2013-08-21 14.36.31.jpg 2013-08-21 14.34.05.jpg 2013-08-21 14.38.37.jpg

20. Juni88

Juni88 Regular Member

Geography Teacher
    Despite the blister and some sudden shoulder ache I was able to try it out on the court today. First game my shoulder prevented me from making smashes or hard clears so I was forced to make more dropshots as usual. I was surprised by the accuracy and feeling when performing those dropshots. For a moment I thought the rate of control is no less than at the Vapour Trail Tour. But in order to judge that I need some more playing time. After massaging my shoulder with FIT-balm it got warm and loosend enough to make the more powerfull shots and even when I was a little precautious and held back since I don't want the shoulder issue to become a serious injury I dare to say that I can generate power to a level that is satisfactory to me, using this racked. This leaves me with high hopes for upcoming sessions.