China team withdrew from SS Final

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Dec 11, 2008.

1. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I think they should just combine the Super Series Final and World Championship into one and call it Super Series World Championships.

Just have it at the end of the year as a grand finale, and they should receive points as well.

2. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player

I totally agree. The fans needs to contribute to popularity of the sports as well as the player. Staying at home and live streaming the matches will not make the sport anymore popular.

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It's definitely a bad thing that top team/top players choose not to participate. The basketball example is not appropriate though. Basketball is already a very very popular sport, so it doesn't matter whether NBA is dominant or not. Countries which suck in basketball still put big money in this sport. Furthermore in the case of basketball, the dominant country (USA) is very supportive to the sport (not because they are LeiFeng of course, but because of money -- the blood of modern societies). Anyone from any country has chance to join NBA.

For badminton the situation is totally different. Given the current situation, maybe the only hope is that one day a good league (like NBA) will appear in China.

Btw, I think it's not fair to say those non-Chinese players haven't trained hard enough. t's like saying France is not as good as Brazil in soccer because French players do not train as hard. Smaller countries have less talents and are therefore less consistent than bigger ones.

In fact, if we look at say top 10 MSs, I would say the Danish players have already trained too hard. :D

#23 ye333, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We cannot make Badminton more popular by just offering big prize money

I have indicated in other threads that perhaps we have made a 'wrong' move in our current development for Badminton. We have paid too much attention on the big prize money (the US$500,000.00). Furthermore, rich sponsors are not easy to find, so it has made the SS Finals more difficult to organise.

IMHO, under our current situation, we cannot make Badminton more popular by just offering big prize money.

Yes, Badminton is trying to follow Tennis. We are thinking that by offering big prize money, more interest and participation could be achieved. But Badminton has missed out the one important thing that Tennis has done some 40 years ago. Tennis organised to recruit players to be professionals. Tennis arranged for players to sign contracts, to get them committed to appear in tournaments.

Currently, I would not call our top players in Badminton as 'Professional Players'. They are actually 'National Team Players'. Our top players have no choice but to obey instructions issued by their National Associations.

:):):)

5. badadum

badadum Regular Member

QFT. Unless the players can decide for themselves, they'll be always at the mercy of the corresponding National Associations.

6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    The one really got screw are the organizers/sponsors, is not easy to come out with US$500K and now the main attraction Team China decided not to attend ... It will be much harder to sell those expensive seats. For those who already bought the tickets in advance, just go there and have fun.
    I think it will be very hard to find any organizers/sponsors for the future Super Series Final. I don't blame the Chinese players but screw those Chinse coaching staff for making such ill decision, shame on them!

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

I am also very disappointed at their decision of no-go.

However, the BWF has not had very good track record either. No one knew for sure that this will go ahead. There is also virtually no break between the grand finale and MO/KO.

If the Chinese league goes ahead next year, I don't know how many more no- shows we will see.

There must be a coordinated effort to put the competitive schedule together better.

8. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a fact that most Malaysian fans on this forum claim that they prefer to watch matches without Chinese players especially China vs China???:confused: Now their wishes have came true... and nobody is happy.:rolleyes:

To everyone who thinks badminton can be more popular by having bigger prize money tournament and China participate in every one of them... LOL... that's not going to work.

If you want badminton to be popular... DON'T HOLD over 70% of tournaments in ASIA!!! Especially the so-called special events.:mad:
    Change the image of the sport from being a sissy sport(or Asian sport), by not having so many short/skinny/chubby/tomboy players, and replace with some well build male, and prettier female players instead... Then maybe badminton won't be look down so badly in most western societies.

#28 bananakid, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

10. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    the grande finale would look great at SBP in Ottawa XD...i'd buy so many tickets..lol...

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Please do not reply like this.

When you insert your responses in a quoted post, others wishing to reply are unable to correctly use the Quote function :eek:

12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, I read through ANTARA News Agency yesterday that reported TH decided to pull out from Masters Finals due to waist injury.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Apologies Mr. Mod :)

14. indra

indra Regular Member

with or without China...this is a good opportunity for other players to get easy money....when else?

The most important at this moment in time is get the money....so..other players must "celebrate" and be happy for the Chinese team's non-participation...

If China team decided not to participate in MO and KO, wow.....that's better and it's a good opportunity for other players to collect more dollars...:D:D

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I think its not going affect the tournament even without team China.......no big deal.....if they dont want to play no body can force them to..........:p:p

I will still enjoy this touney and up coming MO in Jan 09.......cant wait....:D:D:D

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Do you know where is Simon Santoso?

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

More the tournament format makes it very difficult for CHN to win.I remember reading CHN was offered the opportunity to host SSF through Lining as the sponsor but it fell through.What to do? Even at their doorstep, they rejected it.
    But I believe CHN's need for proper preparations.CHN team has to work twice as hard as others to win. And compete in a big enough group per event to enable their LYB strategy for increased chances.

18. K14N2

K14N2 Regular Member

Demand Planner
    I don't read all posts before... So can anyone help me to inform the final participants of this SS Finale after TH and all CHN team withdrew? Thanx!!

19. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    LOL. I read before in here many for the devate about the Quote given to players for countries, especially against the china.
    Arguing need to to continue now as China officially withdraw from this tounament.
    A big slap in the face to BWF.
    They might as well forfeit it for next year.
    Unless they awarded the host for china LOL

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

with or without china team participate in this tournament, the tournament and the excitement must goes on for sure..
    nothing big deal although china whole team withdrew from this tournament..:rolleyes: