Choong Hann puts the team first

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by ants, Mar 10, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    NST

March 11:

IT is likely to be Wong Choong Hann’s last appearance in the Commonwealth Games but the veteran shuttler will play a crucial role in confirming Malaysia’s golden assault in the men’s singles and doubles in Melbourne.

Choong Hann, the 1998 KL Games champion, will play a supporting role to Lee Chong Wei in the singles and will partner Choong Tan Fook in the doubles and wants to reach the final in both events.

Choong Hann, despite not being the favourite to win in both events, wants to play his role to perfection so that Malaysia secure the two gold medals even before the finals are played.

Chong Wei is the favourite to win the singles gold while Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat are tipped to clinch the doubles gold.

"I would love to earn a gold medal in Melbourne as it could be my last Commonwealth Games. But I must fulfil my role in the team first and that is to confirm Malaysia the men’s singles and doubles gold," said the 29-year-old Choong Hann at Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

"I must reach both the singles and doubles (with Tan Fook) finals so that there will be no pressure on Chong Wei and Chong Ming-Kien Keat.

"The semi-final stage is very important and I must win. That’s the main reason why I’m in the squad.

"Even if I miss out on gold in the individual events, there is a good possibility that we can win the team event and I may still be lucky."

In the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, Malaysia settled for a one-two in the singles where Hafiz Hashim pipped Lee Tsuen Seng for gold while Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng edged Chang Kim Wai-Tan Fook for the doubles title.

Choong Hann is unlikely to face any trouble advancing to the singles final but he will have his work cut out in the doubles where his pairing must stop England’s top pair Anthony Clark-Robert Blair, Malaysia’s major threat in Melbourne, in a likely semi-final showdown.

In the mixed team event, Malaysia are the top seeds and are expected to meet second seeds England in the final.

Choong Hann, playing the utility role, will play alongside Ooi Sock Ai in the mixed doubles where the pair are capable of producing a few shocks.

Besides winning the singles in 1998, Choong Hann was also in the men’s team which clinched gold and a third gold looks a bright possibility in Melbourne.