Comparison between Gosen G-Tone 9, R4x110 and BG80?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by baddie9905, May 31, 2016.

1. baddie9905

baddie9905 New Member

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these three strings and could give a comparison? I'm currently searching for a go-to string and these three seem to be most appropriate to my playing style - doubles, offensive with a preference for smashing :)

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Watch this space - just got a set of GT9 in to test, and R4X110 is my current go-to.

3. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    My two main go to strings are GT5 and R4X110. I hit harder with the GT5 and I love the sound. But I like the feel of the R4X110 more.

dsmbooster likes this.
  4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

GT9 is a bit of a let-down. Hasn't got the metal feel or the powet of the other two.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Have you tried the GT5? It's the hardest thin string I've tried. Too hard for my liking; still prefer No. 1.

Daniel™ and visor like this.
  6. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    It feels kinda like metal if you pull it beyond 32lbs, but I don't think it quite has the feel Mark is looking for.

7. isben

isben Regular Member

Engineer
    Have tried GT5 & 9 but have since changed to bg80 as that gives me the highest DT. Was a hardcore bg66um.
    GT9 feels like the BG65 where GT5 is like a slightly harder BG66

8. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    Would you rate and compare durability of Gt5 , R4x110 to other thin strings, I've had 2 sets of gt5 @ 24 lbs on Mizuno jpx 8.0, and the don't last over 20 hrs.

9. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    Would you rate and compare durability of Gt5 , R4x110 to other thin strings, I've had 2 sets of gt5 @ 24 lbs on Mizuno jpx 8.0, and the don't last over 20 hrs.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

What color GT5?

11. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    I tried both, white and blue, in other thread BC members rated better than 66ultimax, nbg98. I really like it's playability but durability is short. 2 other factors could effect the durability are play style and shuttle cock.

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Tried all 3 in the past 3 month in the same rackets, strung by me at the same pattern and tension.

Durability/Tension loss: All 3 played well at the first day. I get around 2-3 weeks with BG80. RX110 is a bit of gambeling. Gosen strings are prone to defects at higher tensions. Also the coating is fragile at knots or for nicking. RX110 popped after a few days and GT9 losts it's crispiness with a few days. Winner: BG80.

Repulsion: Fresh I would rate RX110 over BG80 and GT9. Settle BG80 has much better repulsion, maybe because the GT9 dropped very, very quick and RX110 also holds tension IMO not as well as BG80, but much better than GT9. Winner(fresh): RX110, Winner(overall): BG80

Feel: FME the Feel of RX110 was the best when fresh, went strange after some sessions to metallic but noodlely. GT9 had also great feel when fresh, but turned blur after a few days. BG80 is superb after the first session and plays at a good plateau until it dies. Winner(fresh): RX110, Winner(overall): BG80

Control: I would rate them all nearly the same. Maybe GT9 stands a bit back.

At the end all 3 strings were great for a moment. BG80 is my personal winner, because of economy. If I have an ape who strings my racket for free every 2-3 days I would go for a Gosen. Please take my review with a pinch of salt. I good friend us RX110 strung by me at a tamer tension and is very happy and amazed by this string. For my tension Gosen strings don't work well over along time, but perform great.

Tinu Anand likes this.
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

So far I found white GT5 to fray severely by 10 hrs and blue to nick severely by 10 hrs also, both of which is quite unusual and unacceptable. Both at 26x28 lbs. They play wonderfully up to that point... great feel, crisp repulsion, grippy accurate, very sharp sound.

Currently trying out yellow... and it looks like a winner! Around 16 hrs play and no fraying, only very very slight nicking. Play was great until about 15 hrs, when started to feel nunbish and lose its flavour.

Orange will be on the next restring.

#13 visor, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  14. dsmbooster

financial analyst
    This GT5 is truly performance tournament string, break before loss it's flavour, I'll try yellow for last time. Cost 2/3 of other thin strings such as bg66, 66 ultimas, 98, . I haven't tried zymax62 fire, so can't comment. BTW, where to get a real for $70 Us?

15. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I have just 1 set of BG80. To all of you BG 80 users out there, if I'm ok playing with RKEP70Ti/Li Ning No.1 at 30lbs, where should I go for with BG80? Thinking of dropping it down to around 25~27 somewhere. Don't want it too soft but I don't want to end up with the stringbed being too hard at 30.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Keep in mind that it has less repulsion than No. 1, but is thicker. I'd not go too low.

17. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you can play a thin string at 30 and a thick string at 30, a medium thick string should also be playable at 30. If you don't use 10%PS, 30lbs should be a good point and fair assessment.

18. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Went for 27. Hoping to get a bit of extra bang in my smash.

19. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I consider #1 and BG80 to be almost the same thickness tbh.

We just went from #1 to BG85 in my sons ARC11s, and the sound is just so sweet. The BG85 cannot be thicker than #1.

20. Tinu Anand

Tinu Anand New Member

Rx4 110 has a better metallic sound compare to gtone 5 . G tone 9 is also better when compare to 5. Winner is 110 in repulsion , sound and power. Next is gtone 9 . Bg 80 still to check. G tone 5 is like BG 65. Its OK . Not to the mark