Edmonton, Alberta

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by John_Luu, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

But at the same time as one would be better at the lower, more offensive fast shots, an opponents high clear, which one would not be used to because of training under a low ceiling, could throw the timing off, causing one to misshit the bird, or even miss it all together. This depends mostly on skill level tho, but it's a common problem in many players training in low ceiling gyms.

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

haha, i dunno about that..:rolleyes: ;) ...at a certain level, i would think that returning clears is not a problem..not even if they're very high. Playing at the glenora, they have quite a high ceiling..but who ever hits that high anyways?

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    We are indeed fortunate to have some variety in our badminton facilities. Thanks to previous municipal administrations' emphasis on lifestyle and recreation in our fair city, we have a decent number of varied facilities for badminton and other sports. It's just that some of the better ones are either in private recreational clubs (only one that is exclusively for badminton) or built by post secondary institutions. Can't play there unless you're a club member or a student/staff of said post secondary institutions. Majority of the clubs that accept drop-ins in our city plays in highschool gyms. We have many badminton clubs, yet I have the impression that we are slowly outgrowing present facilities:(.

Even with fast-pacing offensive doubles, I would like to have the option of occasional high clears. You'll be surprised how even some experienced players would misjudge the timing of their shots:D.

With regards to Derrick club, I was just as concerned about surface and lighting as height of the ceiling. I felt claustrophobic just watching the tournament being played in Derrick club. Have yet to play there, but I don't think that I would miss it even if I did.

4. BLind.caT

BLind.caT New Member

student jailed in Vernon Barford
    If the club gets build up, I'd liek to sign up as student!

I've been looking around for badminton lessons for quite awhile. My mom's not supporting me on Derrick club cuz the fee's abt 1500/per year. Other badminton classes are either too full or too far. And as long as the price for this club isn't too high. I'd be more then happy to join.

Plllllllzzzzzzzzz succeed in the club. I'm dying for badminton lessons!!!!

5. phungurl1

phungurl1 New Member

registered nurse
    new place to play

Hi
    this is a good idea. I'm interested in joining. I need to find people to play with since i'm not very good right now. I played before, and i have pretty good endurance but I'm not that skilled.. yet.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Phungurl1,

It's gonna be a tall order to find a decent club around Edmonton. Most clubs operate out of school gyms. Depending on where you live, I could recommend a club to you. You could also google Edmonton District Badminton Association for more info. The clubs under that organization use nylon shuttles and usually has no coaching program for adults, but they usually have room for new members.

7. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I'd be interested in joining a new club in Edmonton.

Would the club be more adult-oriented or all around? I'm a 14 year-old that is about a high-intermediate player that would like to get a lot more competitive.

As long as the price isn't outrageous, I wouldn't mind paying over $150 to be part of a club. I'm not sure what my limit is, but I know I could pay that amount if necessary.

School gyms are much cheaper to rent out, some of them renting them out for free.

8. HappyPlato

HappyPlato Regular Member

I need to find a place to play during the July-August period. Can't afford to join the expensive clubs like Glenora.

9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

heres the link for the EDBA club listing... http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba/clubs.htm

give the contacts a call and ask about drop-in information during this period.
    after you give them a few tries and find a place you like, you can ask about joining, right?

keep in mind that some of the scheduling will be different now due to summer hours...

10. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Hi all, im attending U of A next year and i was hoping on meeting some new people for dropins around the University...so if your interested, please give me a pm. Thanks!

11. junp282

junp282 New Member

Any new clubs in West Edmonton Area?

Im just wondering if there are any new clubs to play with in West Edmonton Area. I think most of the clubs here are too expensive and just use a feather birdies.

12. inferno32

inferno32 Regular Member

Student
  13. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

well if theres a club in edmonton id definately join :D

14. ruleroftheapes

ruleroftheapes New Member

University Student
    hmmm sounds interesting, if club is successful (been about 3 years now from the post dates), or still running, give me a link or email about the clubs info (like i read b4 training, gamedays, location, etc...)

my email is chung_yep_fung@yahoo.ca

thanks in advance ^^

15. inferno32

inferno32 Regular Member

Student
    What edmonton needs is more Junior/Youth clubs... the only one that I can find isn't even running this season. How am I supposed to practise for tryouts with no access to a club, with the wind blowing almost all the time outside, and a basement ceiling 3 ft above my head?

16. andrewlaw

andrewlaw Regular Member

go to glenora..

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Glenora is not a drop-in facility. Membership itself cost over $1000, and private club players are notoriously snobbish. 4 courts only. Recommend joining if you already know someone in the club.

18. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I think it's actually over $4000, and it's 5 courts (maybe 4 courts waayyyy back? not too sure)

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Huh? $4000 per month:eek:?! Man, inflation really sucks ass. I haven't been back in Edmonton for quite a while now, but I did visit Glenora before in 2003. Did they really add one more court? A full court? Or was it a halfcourt for practice?

20. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    not $4000 per month :D that would be outrageous. the rates are listed here https://www.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourID=4018 but I always have trouble understanding any kind of club rates because of all the different age categories and sports.

and yes, they have 5 courts. I've never been to glenora before I went there about a month ago, but they definetly have 5 now regardless of how many they had before.