Eindhoven or Birmingham?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Dec 5, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am considering traveling to watch one of the two big events next year, either the Sudirman Cup in Eindhoven, Netherlands or the World Champs in Birmingham, UK. but not both...

given that i have never been to either cities, but i have been to various places in UK before, which one would you recommend? it will likely be a one week trip including sightseeing.

2. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I would say Eindhoven coz I've always wanted to visit Holland. IMHO and with no offense to any of our Dutch friends here, it is one of the European countries that tends to be overshadowed by its neighbors and I like to be different. Hah. If I had an opportunity, I would definitely take a trip there sometime next year - maybe during my spring break? Unfortunately that's not going to coincide with the Sudirman Cup. On the other hand, my friend who went to Birmingham for last year's All-England says it's a really beautiful place.

3. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i would go to holland, i've been there, but i'd still go.
    unless you are filthy rich, you'd think about the lodgings and currency conversion.
    UK has quite a strong currency, and the conversion will be a bloody mess.
    living over in Holland, no offense, would be cheaper than UK plus Holland is really nice.. UK is nice too lol.. trying to please everyone

but there is the lanuage....
    chances are in UK they'll understand you, but you may not understand them
    but in Holland, they won't understand you, and you won't understand them :p

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, the semi/final is on the 22nd/23rd of March, you can probably catch those even if you have exams on the very last day...

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    HELL! MY winter exams end on the 21st. Let's see... if I can come up with a superb excuse like having sth urgent and impt to attend to in Netherlands and forward my exams to reading week... I may actually be able to make it after all. Sounds like a good entry for the badminton fanatic column eh? :D

6. NL-player

NL-player Regular Member

Hi Kwun,

I am from holland, and you should definitely visit holland if you have never been there. The Sight-Seeing in Eindhoven is not very interesting, therefore you should go to Amsterdam. The distance between Amsterdam and Eindhoven is 120 km.
    If you need any info about Holland, trains, visits, etc. please let me know.

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I live not far from Birmingham (about 18 miles) and I went to the University of Birmingham in my youth. I've been to Amsterdam and Rotterdam but never Eindhoven. Holland is nice.

Badminton aside, I think it might depend on what sort of sight-seeing you want to do. check out www.birmingham.org.uk to see what's available.
    London is between 1.5 and 2 hours away by train.

The road network around Birmingham is very congested. I think that would be the only negative I would give for Birmingham.

Neil

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Kwun,

Go to the quater finals of the world champs, i'll be there!! :) Not playing, of course :)

Matt

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am leaning towards Holland too. i have lived in the UK for a few years and it won't be too new an experience for me. yeah, Matt will there, but it is not like Matt will be handing me a whole bag of Ashaway rackets for free, are you, Matt? :)

yeah, there is the language problem. but what the heck, i managed to survive 3 weeks of Japan without knowing a word. i think i will be ok in Holland. worse come the worse, i will knock on NL-player's door and beg for food. thanks for the tips NL-player. i wll definitely make my way to Amsterdam.

10. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Kwun,

lol, i wish i had loadz to give away! Ahhhh c'mon, come to lovely sunny (?!?!) england! Me and a few friends of mine are going to the world champ quaters, then on to the pub after, i'm sure you can have a few drinks with us, it would be nice to see ya and talk badders for a WHOLE day. Come to england, and there is no language barrier ;)

Matt :)

11. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    don't worry kwun

Dutch people know english quite well....but never say anything in german unless you state your american origin.....

I would love to be there( and in england too, ) and my trip is considerably shorter than yours since i am from denmark.... but i might choose a 3 month asia trip instead; playing badminton and visiting companies. Such a trip would surely include china and m'sia......
    If you come to the netherlands don't hesitate to call me, i might give you quite a good run for your money..... THE EUROPEAN BC-CHALLENGE!

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Fourcas, thanks for the invitation! i will love to play some badminton while i am there. in fact, i think from now on, wherever i go, i will make sure i bring my rackets! :)

13. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    bip bip idea precessing...

it wouldn't be a problem to borrow one! But hey, let's arrange s'thing, maybe others would join in! (HINT! looking for dutch person to arrange court reservations!) Anyway, denmark is only 300 km away, and i live close to the german border in a city with plenty of courts(well, taking the size, 7000, and the # of courts= 15, into consideration.) I could host quite many, say 20.... well, better stop dreaming. Holland could be just as fine!

14. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Kwun,

What about moi?

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, Essex isn't too far from Holland either, just swim across the channel with your Ashaway rackets strapped to you back. ;)

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: bip bip idea precessing...

Fourcas,

if there is badminton, i will be there. it is as simple as that! i think on Sudirman Cup week, there will be a lot of Danes willing to tread across the border to Holland. may be even some in this forum. heck, may be we can drag Jonas over and play some games with us, he will be damn bored though. :)

17. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Kwun,

:( It's ok, i can handle rejection. Well, i'm off to watch the world champs, and then to the pub after. If you came i could always treat ya to a pint, but seeing as your not, no problem :(

Matt

18. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Heck I missed this thread today!

Kwun, great idea to visit Holland ! like Fourcas said, there is no language problem cause it will be harder to meet people in Holland who can't communicate in English than people who can.

Of course you are welcome to knock on my door as well for nice foods and chats :cool:
    Would be fun to meet and play some games too !!
    Then you can finally show me how to do the pinky-finger technique ! :D

BTW, I live near Rotterdam and The Hague, both cities very much worth visiting.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Another reason is Eva's in Holland and so, who would you pick to visit?;)

20. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Isn't Janet tagging along? :D :D