EX vs JP vs SP Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by reyevil, Dec 9, 2015.

1. reyevil

reyevil Regular Member

DPT Student
    Hey guys i was ordering some BG 80 and BG 65 strings on MBS and wondering if anyone knew if there was a big difference between the EX JP and SP strings available for both and if its really worth it or not. Im sure there must have been this question asked previously but it seems all my search efforts come to no results.

2. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I wondered the same as well. I asked MBS too and he's unsure if there are any differences (other than packaging) as well. I took the plunge and ordered some JP and SP Aerosonic strings. Once I receive them (in a few weeks), I'll be able to confirm if there are any differences.

3. reyevil

reyevil Regular Member

DPT Student
    Oh thanks!!!

4. detailermart

detailermart Regular Member

Profesional Detailer
    This is where my mind right now. i am thinking of getting a reel of bg66um. should i get an ex code or jp one? cost is quite differs. but is the cost difference worth?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Depends on the batch I suppose, but I've ordered BG80 and BG85 for a friend who says the SP version doesn't feel as good or last as long as JP. So it's worth the extra dollar for him.

6. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    The only thing I noticed was the JP lightened my wallet more. *badum dish*

I had a bunch of BG65 from different sources and it resulted in having a mix of JP/SP/EX. Out of curiosity I compared the 3 briefly and I didn't feel there was a difference that I couldn't attribute to expectation bias. Asking a fellow coach if he felt any difference, he said all 3 were equally dull feeling compared to ZM62 strung at 28lbs, and that was that. Then he proceeded to commandeer all my racquets that were strung with ZM62F. :p

7. reyevil

reyevil Regular Member

DPT Student
    Thanks everyone. This definitely helped my decision!

8. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    Thanks for the input. but i am still wondering what you meant with the 3 versions of yonex strings being dull?
    and about z62f, is it nearly the same as lining ap62turbo. i just used that string on my Ti10 and quite like it. but dont know about the durability though since its only 2days old

9. Loki7950

Loki7950 Regular Member

Student
    Interesting it would make sense to buy the JP version string bc the quality might be better. Long and behold skimming price influences customers to associate high price with higher quality. Sorry off topic.

But it does make sense why my MBS victor vs 890 JP version string tension last longer than my Ashaway zymax f 69.

10. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    I just knew that there was a jp version of Victor strings. i thought they are all made in Taiwan

11. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I got my JP and SP Aerosonic strings from MBS. Haven't got a chance to string them up yet, however based on physical inspection, they seem completely identical, except for the packaging. They appear the same in texture, stiffness, smell, thickness, etc... I couldn't find any difference between them. I will report back again once I get a chance to string them up. But at this point, I strongly doubt I'd find any difference.

12. Hairy_Porker

Hairy_Porker New Member

Senior Application Engineer
    Hi,
    I used to believe that JP coded are the same quality with other code (SP, CH other haven't tried)
    Until I tried it myself.
    A small background, I have been playing badminton for quite sometimes but I consider myself as average player (that won't be able to level up to advance or even pro XD)

I used to play with bg66, 21lbs for long time, until feel lack of "feel" / control then "upgrade" to 24lbs then 26lbs (until now).
    That was times when bg 66 broke too fast, then I switched too bg 66um (very nice, my current favorite if durability not an issue).
    Then still find not durable enough (1-2months)
    Then until today I use bg 80P, as I found this is the best performance, durability and price ratio.
    Then I normally can use up to 3months on average.

Long story short I went to Japan for vacation. As badminton is the only sport that I really love doing since I was kid, I bought myself a present, VTZ2 JP coded, and strung it with JP coded BG 80P @ 26lbs.

I just realized few days back that it has been more than 6 months!
    It doesn't feel as nice as freshly strung, but for average player like me it is still very playable.
    Ok to be fair, I normally rotated with my other racket(ns9900 and vt70), specially when my arm feels tired. But other racket that strung with BG 80P SP or CH coded were broke faster, last only 3 months max.

Well at least that's my experience ;)

Performance wise, as I haven't tried the VTZ2 with BG80P SP/CH coded. This might be because of the racket factor.
    It feels more control and the hit sound during smash sounds louder like loud "tak" instead of "tik".
    Which made me initially tot I didn't hit the sweetspot. However it did hit the sweetspot.

So my suggestion, give it a try :)

13. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

So I've had a few go comparing SP vs. JP Aerosonic strings, both freshly strung, at same tension, on two JS10 4U, as well as on two VFII 3U. Conclusion, I could not tell the difference at all. Both feel the same, same tension retension, same repulsion, etc... However I restring my racquets very frequently, hence I rarely get to test out the long term durability, hence cannot comment on that. Nor can I comment on the short term durability on mishits, since I did not have any string breakages on the 2 packs of SP and 2 packs of JP Aerosonics that I've put to the test.