Fight during badminton session?!?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bchaiyow, Jun 26, 2007.

1. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Hi,

So this is not a club, it's a community drop-in gym. So the only rule is, stand in line for the next shift, and be courteous ie dont cut into queue and let players who has just arrived to have a game first before rejoining the queue. Really though, this system has worked for quite a long time, most players follow these rules even for those good players and of course the not so good players.

As for A's buddies in the other court, they were taken by surprise as well, and no, they did not stop the fight, it was the people off-court who came over and stopped the fight.

But really, there seems to be a history between A and B, butI think the history is just "don't play with us cos we're better, and you're not good enough". As to who runs the place? No one really, we have a cashier, that's it. luckily that nite thoough, we had a coach who coaches in that gym, he kind off ran the place after that fight and made sure everyone had a chance to play.

I have been to other clubs and even other community centers, there's never such a problem and the good players would always play with beginners, and even play real games, and the good players will always keep the rally going instead of just killing all shots, and they will even purposely hit "soft" shots to beginners so that they at least get to be part of the game.

Anyway, will be there this weekend again, will see what happens.
    oh, someone asked what rackets were used in the fight, it was yonex against karakal. B did not have visible scars, but A did on his face.......

2. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Who had the yonex and who had the karakal?

3. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

A has Yonex, B has Karakal

4. Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool Regular Member

badminton
    what racket model ?
    i bet it must be cheap ISOmetric racket....surely not AT900P....hahaha !!!

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Fighting with racquets? I will let the player A swing at full speed and block it so the racquet will break. Seriously, there must be some bad blood from before...

6. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    B sounds like quite a fair guy I don't know how he stopped himself from laying A out though. If I felt that someone had pushed me that far I would not be content until i got retribution. Hitting someone with a racquet is not on, be a man and do it the proper way. A just needs a good asswhooping to put him in his place.

7. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    A if you are listening to this!!!

BE A MAN DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!

Or else somebody is going to get a hurt real bad!!! I wont tell you who !!! I think you know him very well...

hehehhehe

8. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    maybe they both should be using old Ti10 2U ???!!!!
    Head heavy racket & good for smashing ..>!!
    hahahaha

9. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    use the steel racket then..it's really heavy.He wontl cry when he broke it as well.LOL..

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i've seen people fighting with tennis rackets before, but not badminton lol. Anyway in singapore almost all the courts have to be booked...$, $ and more $. i do wish there's such rules governing the community centres......free courts for all.....but then it's definitely gonna get real crowded too.

i haven't seen badminton related violence before. in fact i haven't even seen any 40-50+ years olds fighting ever. It'll be a plain shameful and ugly act

Blurry D likes this.
  11. kris1503dara

kris1503dara Regular Member

Jerks at badminton

We have some real jerks at our club as well, in Ottawa. They think they're all that, they try to hoard the court; however, unlike the display you encountered, these guys will move off the court when pushed. (My problem is that they don't let others play as well...they don't take their turns.) As far as playing with these jerks goes, I'd prefer not to be on the same court as them. If these are the only people that you have around you, other than beginners, good luck!!!

But you know... I was a beginner at one time, and it just took one or two intermediate to get me to the level that I'm playing at now.

I'd recommend to play with lots of beginners, and get their skill levels up, and not even worry about those other jerks at all. :D

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Good point about we were all once beginners. The better players when paired with beginners in a mixed group should hold back (i.e. not kill them) while playing with them to allow for a more enjoyable experience (but not in a patronizing manner of course). From my experience these beginners really play their hearts out and, although some may be a little embarrassed, appreciate the better players for taking the time.

I'm still convinced that while the popular court of BC has villified Player A, Player B is far from guilty for his part in the racket swinging incident. As a comparison, Player A might have been a jerk and provoked the incident but aren't bad guys always taunting cops trying to extract a reaction. Rarely do we see a reported incident of a cop striking back. But when they do they're charged with assault, making them guilty. In our case, Player B did strike back (inflicting some facial damage) so he is as guilty as Player A.

13. icantdrive

icantdrive Regular Member

haha, A got hit in the face

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Most important thing to do is not to start getting violent in the first place. Police don't get charged with assault if they have to defend themselves. I believe that officer being charged with assault might have retailiated after having secured the suspect.

It kinda makes me wonder where the line is where we have to stand up for ourselves if we're ever in a confrontation ourselves. As A struck first, B has the right to defend and strike back but whoever continued the fight could get charged under law.

15. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Bring a video camcorder with you next time just in case it happens again, and then post it up in the badmintoncentral's video forums so we can enjoy the action:p

If not, at least take pictures of how bad they were hurt, and we can make fun of them. LOL:D:p:p:p

I hope neither of them thought about "smashing/slicing a shuttle-cock" when they were fighting with their rackets.:eek: SERIOUS injury may occur which may never heal afterwards.

#35 bananaboy, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  16. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i think i agree that there must be something else in the the history of both of these players. because i never saw anybody fight for court time like that. really, i dont think it is worth the fist fight, or in this case the racket fight. i think there more than meets the eye. whatever it is, whomever it was that starts the fight, hopefully they can be better men and apologize and stop acting like children.

on the issue of very good player playing with beginners, yeah, they should be more patient. after all, like kris1503dara said, we were all at one time a beginner. like my father used to rally with me and let me enjoy the sport. now i am a life long fan of badminton. maybe if he was very critical of me, i would have hated badminton and stop playing altogether. i really respect advanced players who take the time to play with us, and give us pointers, and encourage us. I have always believed that badminton is a gentleman's game. so far i have not been persuaded otherwise. :D

17. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

This is a rare site. Player A is a jerk off, dunno why he even treats Player B so bad when he only wants to get better. Even tho Player A is better, doesn't mean he should start arguing with B. Player A is probably those who think only about him selves but not other people. I wounder if player A is any good... cuz I would like to play him one day and teach him a lesson about respect about other people's need of improvement and fun. Something like this should not be tolerated.

18. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Just an update, the week after the fight, both still showed up, they crossed each other, looked at each other...but no fight....

Last week, Player B did not show up.

Is player A good? He's ok, level B player I guess.

19. treilanin

treilanin Regular Member

When I grew up, I was always taught that Badminton was a gentleman's sport and should be treated as such. Unfortunately not everyone views it that way and when there is limited court time people will do everything they can to get more "quality" court time. In fact people find the idea of skill levels so insanely important that it become almost a laughable thing. We had a player in my club verbally abuse the coach/captain (accusing him of being racist) for not raising his skill level to the highest level in our recreational club. When I see this... I just shake my head wondering where it all went wrong.

20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    That's a pretty bizarre story to say the least. Over where I've played we'd normally comply with the timetable unless the other group is short of a quorum ie. only one around waiting - he can't play by himself. If so, the guy won't normally have problems with another group playing on their court, often a smile and a gesture of "go ahead".

And even better, the nicer ones might invite him to join them for a game - this being his court after all.

Otherwise the court owner (as in tenant) would normally have no problems waiting for the game to finish while they stretch about, change into their playing clothes, check out the girls ;) or simply sit down and chat with one another.

As mentioned, it was a timebomb waiting to explode.

And I just can't resist it - they must've made quite a racket. :D