Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Kitty, May 9, 2004.

1. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

Oh! Must be my joking about "hello kitty" give you that impression!!!

I am definitely a mature adult as well, just still pretty young at heart! :p

I was exposed to badminton when I was a kid (just like most other people), but I won't really count those playing in a park with wind blowing in all directions as real badminton!! Started playing at community centres drop-in not until 2-3 years ago.....and seriously playing and taking lessons at C1 from Darryl and also taking private lessons from another coach within the last year!

Does that give you some idea about my age??!!

2. TTT

TTT Regular Member

did you take the adult intermediate lesson with darryl the last couple of weeks? If so, I was in your class!

3. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

Sorry, nope!! I took the group adult intermediate lesson with darryl long before last couple of weeks!

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Tsk! Tsk! SmashingBird:D! Don't you know that it's impolite to ask a lady her age:rolleyes:!

5. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hi Kitty,

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer mixed doubles over the other disciplines?

There are a lot of BF.com VRC members! To name a few off the top of my head there are:

myself
    badrad
    PeteLSD
    SchrodingerCat
    15Love
    TTT
    Marky

Sorry if I left anyone out. And there are other BF.com members that drop in from time to time as well. Most of the members I listed play weeknight & weekend evenings as well, so you've probably already seen a number of us around. I know it's difficult at first but you should just ask people to play. Good weeknights to get pickup games are Mondays after the doubles ladder, and Wednesdays Mixer and after the mixer as well. Playing in a lot of pickup games might help you find a steady mixed partner for Thursdays mixed ladder as well. Don't sit around watching the paint dry! ;)

I think there's a recent message thread in the "Places to Play - Canada West" forum regarding our last local "BF.com outting" that has most of our photos in there. Don't be shy, just come up and introduce yourself! :D

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    if you are looking for a ladies doubles game, maybe you can link up with mrs. badrad for a game or two. she's an older lady but i guess she can still hit the birdy pretty hard without her false teeth falling out...

if you are more interested in XD, just introduce yourself to most players at the VRC, and your weekly XD dance card can be filled to the max. there are a lot of players often looking for a ladies player for xd pairing.

7. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    false teeth?

Hey Badrad, are you sure you can get her out of her walker?

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Okay, so everyone else who haven't met Mrs. Badrad ... I've played against her, and she can beat me AT WILL, if she wanted too. She's just too nice to do so. :D

-dave

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Oh come on, Dave, it's not that. She can do it with her non-racquet hand too. :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, man, just couldn't resist... :cool:

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Bwahahahhahahha ... with me sprawled on the court and Badrad Sr's foot over my neck :D

Welcome to BF, Kitty! Once you hook up with the Badrad'es, you'll have too many games to choose from. Make sure you introduce yourself at our next BF outing :)

-dave

11. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

Hello Timeless,

Thanks for your message, it was definitely very encouraging! :)

Cool pics from BF outting!!! :D Looks like so much fun, wish I were there! From the pics, I think I already know a few of you and had played some games at VRC before! I bet we've seen each other as well and you probably have a good idea of who I am. I was just too shy to introduce myself!

Of course, I'd love to play all types of games but it'll be a guaranteed loss to me and to my partner to play against guys, and I haven't been seeing much girls playing single games other than in tourneys! :confused:

Ya, I also heard from someone else Monday nite at VRC is a good nite to pick up games. I'm dropping by tonite with my partner (not sure if he's fit to play yet?!)

12. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

See...:eek: ....that's exactly why I was so shy in introducing myself and initiating any games!!!!!

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hmm... it's a good thing you joined this year. VRC had an unfriendly reputation in the past. If you're shy, you won't be able to pick up any games there. Thankfully, the place has gotten more friendlier now. Totally agreed with wood_22_chuck, try to hook up with badrad and family... they're really friendly and helpful:). If you're self-conscious about your skills, then playing with stronger opponents will definitely help bring your game to a higher level.

#33 cappy75, May 11, 2004
    Last edited: May 11, 2004
  14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    don't listen to these guys! i'm mean and just nasty. i yell at kids to get off the court. i make kids do pushups until their arms fall off. i'm bad.. rad..

kitty , but if you do want a game or two, let us know. i'll make sure to have an even more nasty face on... :p i'm still off court for another few weeks, but i may start to get back to some light hitting. physio sucks!

15. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    LOL

Welcome to the community Kitty.

Yup, there are quite a few shuttlers here, that are somewhat nutty... as you can tell from Badrad's posting.

I've heard horror stories LOL jk ;)
    Badrad, when are you guys planning the next BF group meeting for?
    Is Kwun & Wifey planning on another trip?
    If so, I'll drag cooler and a few other Calgary BFer's who seem to like to remain anonymous out to Van city for a few rounds, am also anxious to check out Darryl's place, it sounds great.

Anywho... it's late, and bedtime for me.
    Night all.

-Kelvin

16. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

Haha!! How can anyone here be mean or unfriendly when I'm getting so many warm welcoming messages!! :D Thanks everyone!

Thanks! Badrad, for sure I'd love to have a game with you and Mrs....when your injury recovers, and hope you recover soon! But.......you'll have to describe yourself to me, otherwise I have no idea which one is you at VRC?! :p

And of course please let me know when the next BF meet will be, and I'll try to make it to meet some new friends! ;)

17. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No no no... the other way around...

One month ago, I went to VAN for my vacation, and had a great time playing with VAN BFers. They threw up 4 "torture sessions" on me, and really made me dead on court. However, really made my trip worth. Great ppl, great games, and great cramps... :D

For the detail of my trip , u can check this thread: http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13822

Just don't laugh, when u see my below average skills. :p

Note: In my thread, there're tons of pics and video clips about VAN BFers, use for "identification" tools. :D

19. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

I figured out that I got it the wrong way after I sent you that message! Since I'm still new to the BF thing, I had no idea that's the way they welcome new friends!! OMG!!! :eek: Thank God I live in Vancouver and I won't need "welcome sessions" !!

Timeless already sent me links to some pics and......I couldn't help smiling over some of the pics! :D It looks like lots of fun!

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sure, a lot of fun... but not really fun if I had cramped twice after 7 hrs... hahahahahah u will know why, if u watched the video clips. :D