Help to determine why racket broke

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by razorei, Nov 4, 2018.

1. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    Hello,

I would like you guys to help me on this case. I got a NR GZ to be strung today with BG65 at 11.5kg.
    The racket seemed very new and no particular trace of wear of paint chips were present.

I've placed the racket the way below on my machine and used 10% PS with Wise 2086 pulling machine.

[​IMG]

The racket cracked at 3 o clock. I don't know exactly when the racket cracked as i didn't heard a loud cracking sound as it usually have.
    But i noticed it when pulling the last main.

[​IMG]

Did i placed well the support? It's known that the NR GZ is a weak frame so i would like to know if i've made a mistake or if i was unlucky with this one.

For information i've tightened the 6 and 12 o clock support after pulling the 2 first mains.

Thank you.

2. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

Applying (11.5kg + 10% =) 27.8lbs to a frame with recommended 22lbs ? max tension ...

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Now that's going to be a tough case for CSI BC.

My first thought was bad luck (plus bloody weak frame) or pre-damaged. Side support positioning looks good, and if you didn't mess up the mounting or tension setting big time, I don't see an obvious issue what you could have done wrong there to cause that crack.

Any special pattern used or standard Yonex 2-piece bottom-up?

4. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    i used standard 2 piece pattern, planned to goes up-bottom but couldn't even finish the mains ...

i should have refused to string it at that tension or warn the owner that i wouldn't apply any warranty.

I decided to refund it so bought one at direct sports. Unlucky me ...

5. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    thank you for giving your point of view :)

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Can't see anything wrong with any of this. I reckon you were just unlucky, mate.

7. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

You sure it wasn't cracked before the stringing? Could be collision in doubles???

I believe that's should not be a problem for modern rackets, even the thinner ones should go up to 30 lbs no problem. I think I had quite some NR GZ at least at 28 lbs without any issues.

8. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    thank you guys for your opinion. I'm currently feeling quite depressed and confidentless about my stringing after this issue. It's good to hear that it might probably not due to an stringing mistake.

From what i know, the racket was quite in a good shape, there was just a small paint chip at 1 o clock, i don't know the previous tension applied on this racket as it was the first time i strung it.

I've myself strung a NR GZ at 12kg few years ago so i didn't see any issue about pulling it at 11,5kg but it seems that the one i have in hand is weaker than the previous one ...
    just unlucky...

9. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

You should do bottom - up. According to experience people in this forum it's a lot safer. I know you even start the cross yet. Also I see people don't tension the 11th main. They double pull the 10 main which is the last one to tension. This leave less pressure on the frame. You can do that. Or You are just unlucky.... could happen to all of us.

I'm not charging a lot... if I break a racket it will take a lot work to repay... I fully understands you feeling.

10. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    Yeah it's exactly that, i'm charging quite cheap for the job and it will take a lot of work to repay it.

So what happened already happened i wan't change that but by posting this thread i wanted to know if there is a way to improve my job to avoid this in the future. Your suggestions are among them and i take note of this.

I should also warn people that if they want to go over the recommanded tension for known weak frame (such as this NR GZ or AS FB for example) i would get the responsibility of this breakage.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

This. I would plainly refuse to be held responsible for a breakage if the client requests a tension that much outside the warrantied one. And even more so on those known play-doh frames. But for sure you will have a problem with that one since you haven't said anything before you accepted the job, but make sure to be aware from now on. Massive even think about having a waiver document that the client needs to sign in case you have some "delicate" clients.

#11 s_mair, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  12. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Yonex Glanz - rackets (REXIL FIBER Material) are really weak racket-frames. Yonex recommended with 10kg and you pushed the string with 12,5kg.
    + light racket
    + flexible racket

Racket-World, a good german shop with very good stringers, strings these rackets with maximum 10,5kg! In my opinion the absolute maximum is 11kg, but then at the owner's risk.

I know two people who have a Nanoray GlanZ at 11kg and a Voltric GlanZ at 11.5kg broken from two different stringers.

13. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student

I've once strung a NR GZ at 12kg without issue so when my clubmate gave me this one and told me to string it at 11,5kg i wasn't worried.

I will be more careful about weak frame from now and warn the owner + deactivate PS mode

14. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

You really should tell clients that stringing outside manufactorer recommendations are at their own risk.
    I had a guy that somehow broke his string within the first 5 strokes (according to him) and wanted a refund, so you should always tell clients all the things that would be common sense to stringers :)

15. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Guys, stop saying as if the racket was broken from the stringing. It just doesn't make any sense... And not from 12 kg, really...

There is no way it would break in the middle been pulled by the main, even the last one... Why didn't it break at the point where it was pulled?
    I would think, if there was no any damage from before, than the only explanation is that the frame was defective? Perhaps you can see if the thickness of the frame was too thin at the broken spot? Does it separate all the way so you can see inside or is it still partially attached?

16. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

could it be his tensionner just overshoot. he said that he use pre-stretch, maybe his machine overshoot a lot during the pre-stretch time. Just maybe..

I just did a 28 lbs on a lining racket on a 2pt(prince machine) mount machine, and the racket held. it came a bit round though. the customer wanted 28 x 28, I told him maybe better 28 x 30, he said no. I told him no warranty..

17. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    i've strung many rackets at much higher tension than 11.5kg. As said before by the others, NR GZ is known to be a very weak frame but i thought that 11.5kg was ok. Maybe the 10%PS was too much.
    I'm pulling it with wise machine which is quite reliable. The value displayed by the tensioner seems ok too (never above what's expected)

18. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Double check that the towers aren't creeping inwards after every pull. Only thing I can think of and it was a problem that my own pro's pro had.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

19. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

This thread is so useful, I learned that with Yonex GZ, not string over 10kg... anyway I will not string glanz...

also cheap machine can have tower creeping...

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If I may make on O/T suggestion while I'm here? Remove the yellow pads from the 12/6 supports - no need for them if you've got spreaders.