Hi all

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by SRune, Sep 14, 2004.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hahaha, it's ok. I can take it. I know what's good for cooler :p
    If tennis are played and compete (ie tournaments) under 3 conditions (hard court, clay court, grass court) why can't badminton be played with 2 kind of shuttles :confused: instead of saying only real badminton players play feather :mad: Remember that tennis has gone to all synthetic these days ***(ie. carbon fiber rackets, nylon strings, synthetic balls, man made concrete court) while clay and grass courts are less common. However, badminton is still behind the time in regard to using feather shuttles. You see, imo, yonex, rsl, victor, and other feather shuttle makers loves feather users because feather shuttle is a highly consumable and e z to degrade product. There is no incentive to make a better plastic nylon. ie, what business incentive is there to make a plastic nylon that fly just as nice and last really really long time??? One assembly line spitting out good plastic shuttles can potentially kill off the feather shuttle industry that employ tens of thousands of workers and endless stream of cashflow.

*** matter of fact all racket sports are using standardized synthetic type equipments...except feather shuttle in badminton.

squash - rubber ball
    racquet ball - bigger rubber ball
    tennis - fuzzy rubber ball
    table tennis - plastic ball
    All of the above ball are standardized with unmeasurement difference when it's new.

badminton - plastic and feather kinds. LOL, so inconsistent standard
    where as every feather shuttle is slightly different even when taken from the same new tube. LOL

#21 cooler, Sep 15, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Sorry SRune for hijacking your introduction thread ;)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

one more thing, even in high level play, synthetic mats are place OVER the NATURAL WOOD floors. The only part of badminton (or any racket sport) that still use natural ingredients (feathers, cork) is the feather shuttle and it's based on 100+ years tradition LOL Everything else have changed already

#23 cooler, Sep 15, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Cooler, only the feather shuttles are "legal", nylon shuttles don't even exist in the rules and certainly can't be used for official matches.
    Anyway this is not the subject of this thread, open a "Nylon vs Feather" thread in the equipment forum is you want to discuss about this! :p
    (I won't discuss it anymore, the case is clear for me)

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

nah, i'm sure many people here have heard my views from many other threads in BC/BF :D

Analogy: indy racing stipulate the use 13" wheel rims, does this mean it's the best wheel size for the racing and handling application?

#25 cooler, Sep 16, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i should rephrase that: indy racing stipulate the use 13" wheel rims, does this mean men and women that use 13" wheels on their cars are real racing drivers?

7. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    if i understand what you mean, no. i think what is meant (below) is that any badminton player of some standard would appreciate the better feel of feathers in contrast to using plastics.

and not that any player who uses feathers are real badminton players.

#27 laughable c., Sep 16, 2004
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is the elementary logic that any beginner's logic class in philosophy, math or computer science would teach:

if A imples B, that does not mean B imples A. but it does mean that the inverse of B implies the inverse of A.

so in the feather bird example:

if true badminton players uses feather shuttles.

that does not mean anybody who use feather shuttles are true badminton players.

however, it does means that those who doesn't use feather shuttles are not true badminton players.

substitute appropriately for the 13" wheels example.

9. laughable c.

oh, hi Srune.
    it's sure pleasant to hear that badminton is one of the favourite sports over at yours. it makes my head swim with envy knowing there's a 17-courts-in-2-buildings dedicated to the sport. AND that you live so nearby! seems almost like a paradise to me!! :D :D

-laughable centipede-

10. SRune

SRune Regular Member

Engineer
    To answer the question on shuttles, yes I play only with feather shuttles and I play four times a week. But when I started training many years ago we used mostly nylon shuttles. I trained for 11 years before I went to uni and now I just play for fun but I´m going to participate in amatour tournaments this year. Almost everybody here plays with feathers, you just see beginners with nylon.
    Pecheur:
    In the metropolitan area where I live the population is 170.000 people and we have these 17 courts and also many sports halls that have sceduled badminton times. Icelanders really are into sports and football, which is called soccer in the USA, and handball are the most popular ones.
    I´m sorry but I havent read Red storm rising so I can´t comment on that.
    But about the terrain, this is a volcanic island and we´ve had many lava flows here and we also have many hot springs so it can be kind of an alien terrain.
    And no we don´t live in snow houses.:p

P.S cooler, my ....profile is fine thank you. :cool:

SRune

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I agree with your reasonning! :D

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You don't??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sorry just joking! :D

Nice to learn about badminton in Iceland anyway! :)

About players, I know Tomas Viborg as a good international player (thrashed french number one in last Sudirman Cup) and also a WD pair (Jonsdottir/Ingolfsdottir).
    I don't know any other players though... (except SRune of course ;) )

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Good find. Yes, it's logically correct in an idealized or theoretical world.
    Let me extend the application of that logic to the 13" wheels example as u had suggested.

Case 1

a. Real Indy drivers drive cars with 13" wheels (check, by regulation)
    b. Does not mean 13" wheels cars is driven only by indy drivers (check, there are many civilans drive regular cars with 13" wheels)
    base on the logic of ~B-->~A, then
    c. Those who don't drive with 13" wheels are not Indy Drivers :)confused:, do not check)

I think this part (~b --> ~A) fail the real world test. I'm sure there are many indy drivers also drive porsche, ferrari, mercedes benz, bmw and/or corvette with wheels much larger than 13". :p

Case 2

All i need to do is to find one case or one real badminton player who i can capture him or her on video playing with nylon shuttle, then the entire logic of real badminton player only plays feather deduction by Seven can and will be invalidated.

Here is a real life example of Case 2.

Johnnie Cochrane : If the glove doesn't fit, you must aquit. The verdict? OJ Simpson was aquitted even under mountain of evidence against him LOL.

:p :D :cool: :)

#33 cooler, Sep 16, 2004
  14. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Cooler, what's the point in carrying on? (you are getting completely mixed up anyway :p )
    Start a new thread if you want to discuss this, I won't bother argueing anyway. :rolleyes:

15. laughable c.

Uh, well you should be!! :D it's almost two whole pages there!! NHM. :)

maybe he's righte.