Hitting a duff shuttle out during a rally to claim a let?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by tubby, Mar 23, 2007.

1. tubby

tubby Regular Member

During a match last week an opponent hit a shuttle out of court and tried to claim a let.

What happened was during a rally the shuttle really deteriorated and became almost impossible to play. My opponent hit it sideways out of his side of the court i.e. trying to make a statement that he was not hitting it over the net and wanted to play a let because the shuttle had got so bad. Neither side really had an advantage in the rally at that point.

It may sound harsh, but I refused the let. I didnt think there was any basis for a let. Both sides were disadvantaged with the poor shuttle and the shuttle should only be changed between points.

If it was a club night then maybe this could be allowed, but i had never seen this before and it was a league match.

Was I too harsh?

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The rules only allow a let if the base separates from the shuttle.
    I wouldn't have given a let.

(were the opponents from a club that normally play with plastics? They tend to get the most annoyed about feather deterioration. But then we do moan about their crappy plastic shuttles when we have to play at their place...)

3. PeZyUaN

PeZyUaN Regular Member

College Student
    i think you did the right thing... if anything the change of birds happen after the point has ended XP

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    it's rules from BWF that the shuttle must remain in play not matter how crap the quality is unless the cork separates from the feathers. so even if it's flattened and flying like a rocket, you can't end the rally and play a let

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I agree with Neil, shuttle can only be switched after a point is over.

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    simply, you can't change shuttles in the middle of a rally. take it as teaching your opponents some basic rules. haha

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    the rules say, even if the shuttle is breaking apart you must finish the rally, unless the shuttle spoils during the rally, you cannot stop halfway and claim anything

8. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    Well I can totally see what everyone means and they are right but I think if that was me I would probably play a let just to keep the peace and not create a bad atmosphere.

Can I ask what the score was and to who at the time and also final score?:)

9. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Imagine you unjustifiably play a let and your side loses the match. So you consider keeping peace with your opponents who you would play maybe twice a year more important than keeping peace with your own club mates for the rest of the year ?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You can't claim a 'let'. It's against the rules. It's not a matter of politeness:) However, the opposing side might not know.

Or they might know but want to change the shuttle in which case it should have been done before the start of the rally. Alternatively. wait until after the rally.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Being polite is one thing, follow the proper rule is another. You can be as nice as possible, but if no one follows the rule or even abuse the rule, what's the point for the game then?

So, I can simply hit everything out, and each time provide a reason like, too slow, too fast, too heavy, too light, too whatever... :(

12. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Ive had a similar incident where the opposition player destroyed a perfect shuttle after the second rally of the game hit the shuttle off the court and replaced the shuttle.

It was blatant shuttle tampering.

13. tubby

tubby Regular Member

I cant remeber what the score was, but it was close.

I know what you said about keeping the peace, but it could have an impact if I had felt that they had got away with it. I refused the let, put it out of my mind and I was able to focus on the rest of the game.

If I had allowed the let then I might have dwelt on it which could have had an impact on my game.

Now I know what is the the right thing to do within the rules of the game.