How many knots on a strung racket?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by S H Yeoh, May 13, 2004.

1. S H Yeoh

S H Yeoh Regular Member

When a racket is strung, how many knots should there be. I have seen two knots, three and four knots. The norm is usually two. If there are more than two, does it mean that the string has been broken and has to be restrung from that point?

ANother question is I have seen string tension measured in lbs. At my place my stringer measures the tension by 41, 42 etc. 40 being the average. When I asked about the measurement, he just says that multiply the lbs by 2.2 and that is how he gets the 40, 41 etc. Is there such a tension on stringing machines becasue this is neither kg or lb.

Thanks

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. There are 2 string method: 2 knots (1 piece for main and cross) or 4 knots (2 separated piece, 1 for main, 1 for cross). If there are more than 4 knots, very possible there's a "patched" job (just replace the broken pieces).

2. when convert from kg to lb, there's a ratio of 1:2.2. Therefore, 10kg is about 22lb. But mult by another 2.2??? never heard about it myself... :confused:

3. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT

Sorry LB, should read:

"There are 2 stringing methods: 2 knots (1 piece for main and cross) or 4 knots (2 separated pieces, 2 for main, 2 for cross)."

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    4 Knots: using 2 separated string pieces, 1 for main and 1 for cross. Therefore, 2 knots for main, 2 knots for cross. ;)

5. Ian_C

Ian_C Regular Member

College Student
    I have just strung my racquet.......Yonex ti swing power.....using the new pro ace 65mm repulsion with 22 pound of tension and it suppose can withstand high tension then yonex bg65.......but it just snap on the 1st day i play it.......any idea on how i should prevent this from happening after the next stringing session....????

6. altreality

altreality Regular Member

Sometimes an awkward hit can just snap the strings...

sometime back, my Prince racket could never hold its strings for more than one game....then I realised that one of the grommets was broken so the string was tesioned around the racket itself.. since its thin, any hit whout have caused strings to be cut.

7. altreality

altreality Regular Member

From previous threads, seems that 4 knots are better than 2, at least where yonex is concerned...!!!

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I doubt if it's the case. Many experienced stringers also use 2 knots method for their work. ;)

9. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    You should say that 4 knots is safer than 2 knots:D

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The reason why 4 knots is safer than 2 knots is that the 2 knots stringing system has no choice but to string the cross starting from the throat end, and this poses greater risks of frame breakage at its weakest spot, the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock spots. With 2 knots you cannot string from the middle on the cross strings, which you can when using 4 knots. But stringing 2 knots is faster and can be safe up to 32 lbs if you know what you are doing.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is no difference in any stress risk to a racquet frame with 2 knots or 4 knots when they are out of the stringing machine. The risk difference is there only when the frame is on the machine and when stringing and pulling is in progress.