How much does the string/tension/stringing affect how well the racket play?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, May 12, 2019.

?

How much does the string/tension/stringing affect how well the racket play?

1. 10% - I use fishing lines at 10lbs tension

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 20%

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 30%

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. 40%

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. 50% - equally important

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  6. 60%

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. 70%

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. 80%

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. 90%

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. 100% - The string is everythiing - i use the best string on steel rackets

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    When we buy badminton equipment, a lot of emphasis are paid towards the racket itself. Even engineering and market spend a lot more time on the racket. But what about the string? the string is not as sexy and marketable as the racket. How much do you believe the choice, quality, tension and stringing of the strings contributes to how well the combination of racket/string plays?

None? a little? half half? totally?

decoy and badmintony like this.
  2. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Totally.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

3. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

You've got to select the best string for your style of play and the correct tension for your skill level. Every string has its advantages/disadvantages of course.

4. Nate1121

Nate1121 Regular Member

It’s just as important as having the racket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

90%, or,

It depends.

How much would the string deviate from my preferred set up?

I'd rather play with a metal racket with bg80 at 27 than with my preferred racket with any string at 18. I'd also say tension matters more than the string itself. I'd choose any string at 27 or lets say between 25 and 29 over bg80 at 18. But if the deviation is small, for example, If you'd ask me to choose between a metal racket with bg80 at 27 or my preferred racket at 25 I'd probably take my racket at 25.

So,
    A different racket, a different string or a different tension can all make a difference, but tension can make the greatest difference, then string, then racket.

Lemollin, boby, kwun and 2 others like this.
  6. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I believe tensions and stiffness of the rackets are most important. Every player should find the magic combination by trial and error. Sounds of the strings play a role in players choosing strings. Players should play more attention to the results rather than how they feel.

s6edge likes this.
  7. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I'm assuming that we are talking using normal Yonex string with a tension that suits your play. In that case, I'm not sure the combination has any relevancy. String basically just completes the racket but I'm not sure there's a lot of "this string at this tension is very suitable with racket A but not racket B." Well, unless the tension is too high for the racket or something.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am talking about the possibility that, using another string/tension/stringjob combo has the potential to transform a previously so-so performing racket/string combo into something very different and much better.

in other words, emphasizing the % of contribution the string plays vs the racket.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I would especially like to hear everyone's experience, and everyone's thought on how much they value the string / tension / stringjob vs the racket.

10. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Well if the string/tension/stringjob were not suitable for you before, then clearly changing them would make the racket play much better. I guess I'm not sure of what you're asking. If you're asking do strings play a very important part, of course, in the sense that grip also plays a very important part. If you currently use a very slippery grip, would using a non slippery grip has the potential to transform a previously so-so performing racket into something very different and much better? Of course.

11. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

for example, pro player A normally use racket abc-99 (highend type) with string x at 30lbs

scenario 1 : racket "abc-77" (downgrade material, similiar flex) with same string x at tension 30lbs (same string spec and tension preference)
    scenario 2 : racket abc-99 (same racket) with string "y" at tension 28lbs (downgrade string spec and lower than preferred tension)

which scenario is better if he can only choose between those 2 option?

Personally i think its more like 60 string 40 racket - scenario 1 (if the racket quality is not that much different). For example voltric zforce and voltric 80. would be completely different story if the disparity is too much like nanoray900 and nanoray300

kwun likes this.
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well obvious to maximize performance, find the best racket and string combo that suits you.

however, the question can be reframed as, if you have limited funds, would you put more emphasis on the string, or on the racket? which one is more important?

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    majority of badminton players spend more time thinking about the racket than the string. they just pick some string they used without giving it much though as some tension that they are used to. while over time, they buy dozens of new rackets to try, they don't change the strings.

manufacturers, the same. every year Yonex come out with a couple dozen new racket models over the whole spectrum, they come out with a new string every... 3, 4 years? players are still regularly using BG65 which came out in the in the previous millennium. most players won't even know what racket model are the most popular back then.

so is it because the string is just a wear and tear item? string do not give enough profit margin? or string just not important enough?

14. khoai

khoai Regular Member

You'll be amazed how many ppl out there playing on a fairly good racket with "stock" string and it's not as bad as you might think. Grab a kid's racket (with "stock" string) and try it yourself.

15. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

For advanced players, I'd say on the racket since getting string tension correct is free while they need to get a racket that can take high tension. For low level, it doesn't matter. As long as you get a quality racket strung at suitable tension, your skill is what's important. Racket accounts for maybe only 10%.

16. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

String+tension can definitely make a huge difference and give the player something they are looking for in their experience that they currently lack. Though the stiffness of the racket and the tension of the string is not the same, to a certain extent, they can perform a similar role. If you're current setup leaves you with shoulder pain and you have trouble with the length of your clears, a more flexible racket can help you play clears more effortlessly, but lowering your string tension a bit would get a similar result and would likely be more affordable. The similarity runs in the opposite direction as well, where a stiffer racket and a higher string tension both give you a sharper feel, more control and potentially more power.

In the best case scenario you have the perfect racket with the perfect grip and the perfect string at the perfect tension. But most people are not enthusiastic about dropping £120+ on a racket. In my opinion there is a negligible difference between a u4, headlight, medium stiff £50 racket and a u4, headlight, medium stiff £150 racket. Discovering your preferred racket specifications will definitely make a far greater difference than upgrading from a $50 to a $150 racket of the same specs.

But even before you dismiss a racket because it doesn't feel right, maybe it's not the racket but the stringing setup (or both). Talking to your stringer (and coach) about what you want from your racket (and string) or about what you feel you are lacking is definitely worth it and can potentially "save" the racket that initially "didn't feel right".

Unfortunately it's often a long and expensive journey of trail and error to find your preferred racket specs and stringing setup.

darrengsaw, kwun and Swat like this.
  17. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

It could be because there's more room for development on rackets than on strings that's why the turn over of technology on racket are more than the string.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

18. Nate1121

Nate1121 Regular Member

The racket, the string and the tension are all equally important to a player. If the player is not comfortable with either, it will throw their game off.players who emphasize on the racket and getting other rackets or trying other rackets already have a set string and tension they can lay at. I think if strings came out as often as rackets, people might start looking at more strings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    For demoing rackets I think it is quite difficult to say "It's the racket" or "It's the job". Especially when you demo something outside your comfort zone which became your comfort zone because of important reasons and not randomized.

I demoed in my life maybe 100 rackets!? Most of the rackets I didn't like beauce of a) stringing job too low/old or b)grip, which was 95% too big. How can I really judge the racket when I hit, how it feels compared to something I'm used to? Impossible! I can sort out by "too light" or "too heavy" but with a loose job I hardly can tell that a racket is too stiff. Especially when you compare close frame.

If I need to make the decision in my life to play with a 30€ racket at my prefered tension and chosen string or with a 200€ racket with a 3 month old 22 lbs job, I would always go for the 30€ one. The reason behind this is the racket is the connection between me and the shuttle. How can be the part which touch the shuttle become less relevant than the frame the bed is strung in? Same for the grip. Based on the informations I get out of a full racket I would say it's 60% string bed, 30% grip, 10% racket itself.

swsh and kwun like this.
  20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh yes. many years ago, i tried playing with my kids short length racket, with maybe 10lbs of tension. i can clear effortlessly baseline to baseline!

khoai likes this.