How to transport internationally your badminton equipment onboard?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by arfandy, May 9, 2011.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Recently (months back), most of International airports are starting to implement some regulation that limit passenger's hand-carry on board. According to all airlines regulation comply by most of International airports (especially Asia), each economy passenger is allowed to have 1 hand-carry ONLY with weight not exceed of 7Kg & size o the luggage is 23x40x55cm or the sum of these may not exceed 115cm.

If so, how do you transport your badminton equipment all over the countries? Let say, the bag that can hold around ~10 rackets + shoes... indeed the bag size has already exceeded 115cm while weighing may vary depending number of rackets on it. First, it is risky & may damage the rackets if checked as airline baggage. Secondly, let say you may bring your notebook/laptop/iPad onboard, as another 1 onboard hand-luggage. My question for those whom recently traveled on airplane, Internationally; would the security check-point in the airport (especially Asian airports, e.g Beijing, HongKong, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, etc) or flight crews allow you to bring these two bags (or badminton bag) into the airplane?

Thank you for any responses.

2. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

AFAIK you can't hand carry your badmiton racket... it must be check-in luggage. I'm not sure if it's global standards or only to certain countries(airports).

It happened to me...

3. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Was it safe enough not to break every single racket in the bag? I recall how tough the baggage handling can be for check-in baggage in/out of the plane. I was able to hand-carry a big badminton bag on December 2010 from Beijing to Thailand. Then lucky enough to hand-carry them again back to Beijing from Thailand on March 1, 2011. But i'm concerned for later in the nearby future shall my badminton bag got thrown out of the plane because i don't check it in on the plane.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

I'm not sure about in Asia but here in North America what they usually allow is checking in important bags at the gate, then you grab that particular bag right at the exit gate as you get off.

Check with your airline, they will know.

5. RocKai

RocKai Regular Member

Hospitality
    Maybe check them in at the special check-ins for "Fragile Luggage". Here in New Zealand, with Air New Zealand they do have a separate check in for fragile items.

6. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    I will travel back to Jakarta on 23rd June.. I'm wondering, does anyone have a 'sport-equipment' problem using JetStar Airlines? I just want to carry 1 racket.. i'm afraid it will break if i put it in my baggage..

7. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

If only 1 racket, then you SHOULD just take it with you on-board instead of leaving it as check-in luggage.

8. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I asked British Airways and they said it is fine to bring it on board
    but they said they don't know about Singapore Airlines though..

9. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

no way man ... even a single racket, AirAsia will not allow you .... especially from Kualalumpur

10. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

I'd rather pay RM 20 for double plastic wrapping the checking with FRAGILE sticker from AirAsia, it is very safe ...

11. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Are you 100% sure about AIRASIA not allowing hand-carry rackets? (especially from Kuala Lumpur?) because i just got email from AirAsia & it says i'm okay to bring badminton bag & 1 laptop as hand-carry on board. And what do you mean double-wrapping & FRAGILE sticker from AirAsia? Can you do double-wrapping in AirAsia counters at KL ?

12. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

Is it the airline or airport's prerogative to decide wether to allow or not allow to hand carry the racket? I believe airport security has the last say base on my experience...

13. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Airport security has nothing to say regarding how many luggage you're taking with you. It's the flight crew attendances whom able to refuse your carriage when you show your boarding pass.

14. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    i was carried my badminton racket with AIRASIA fr HK - KUL on board. no problem at all....

15. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    For airasia, i know they didn't have problem.. bcoz my senior's racket bag also has Airasia tag on it ( CGK-KUL-TPE )

But i noticed in Tiger Airways, they charged the sport equipment by 30$..

16. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

You are correct airport security doesn't care about how many or how heavy your luggage are but it's more of security reasons. I guess they are thinking you can smash someone's head with your racket. That's pretty painful... I imagine how fast and how hard would it be... hehe!

17. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

of course boss ....
    I'm working here in Malaysia, and almost every 2 months return to Surabaya, Indonesia. And the cheapest fare would be AirAsia.
    AirAsia will ask you have it wrapped at a wrapping counter.

So far, I have tried Singapore Air, Silk Air and ValuAir/JetStar plus AirAsia, I put all my rackets into 1 racket bag, wrapped it, request for FRAGILE sticker, all are safe at Juanda Surabaya, Indonesia.

#17 maa2003, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  18. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

well, that's strange! because i got email from AirAsia couple weeks ago and they say i have no problem whatsoever to bring all my 7 rackets in a bag on board. And i would transit in KL for couple hours before continue to Makassar.

Of course there is a possibility some stupid officials would try to take my rackets away! Thus i think i should just wrapped it and ask for FRAGILE stickers. That way i don't have to worry when bringing a big bag anywhere with me in airport!

Oh, about the wrapping... can i do my own wrapping instead of paying extra for the double-wrap?

19. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

On Singapore Airlines you can just hand carry your rackets even if you have another hand luggage.

20. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

AirAsia just start this year, previously I can carry 7 rackets onboard, but when I would like to return home on Feb 2011, eventhough I just carry 3 rackets and put it into one single cloth cover (it is for 1 racket, but I squeezed 3 racket inside), AirAsia people stops me, and ask me to put it into check-baggage.

many people do wrapping their goods by themselves, and ask AirAsia check-in counter to put FRAGILE sticker on it.

but you try it first, who knows they will allow you .... and keep me updated on it.