HSBC BWF WORLD Tour Finals 2022 : Group Stage & Knockout Phase (7-11 December)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

He is not 100% commited.

i feel the same. Yesterday he is like 100% against Jonatan just like Fajri vs Minions in AG. Ass.

2. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

Axel has had the single greatest 2 years in the sport. he will be the GOAT. for sure, not a shred of doubt.

3. ChildrenOfBadminton

joop

#243 ChildrenOfBadminton, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  4. ChildrenOfBadminton

3 losses in a year , ridiculous

5. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

What a year for VA.
    MS will be exciting next year

6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Axelsen is like LCW and LD combined in that he has great consistency and wins the big titles

7. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

Expect different results in the same way #ASG

8. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Are Ginting and coaches even trying to find a gameplan vs Axelsen? So many defeats to VA and everytime the match looks the same

9. Habisin-Habisin

The sun begins to set and the sky begins to turn golden, everything has its time #thedaddies

10. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

XD matches getting faster n faster......INA xd girls are meanwhile stuck in Natsir's half leg era

11. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

lame 3rd set

12. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

What a last game this year, see you guys next year

13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Axelsen getting good but I'd still pick peak LD/LCW over him anyday

14. Habisin-Habisin

I still have hope in lisa ayu, the others like you said #nohope

15. Jaykoh8

Jaykoh8 Regular Member

ZSW/HYQ is the most dominant XD pair this year. 10 tournaments titles in 2022, only 1 loss in over 50 matches. If they were not split earlier this year, may be able to beat Momota's record of 11 titles in a year.

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

2022 BWF Male and Female Player of The Year cement their status and close this season on convincing note, Yamaguchi increases winning record over Tai TY who found deadlock to shake the Japanese steadiness and break her solid rhythm, both players demonstrate world class quality shot and entertaining show in tiring long rally. Two-time World Champion was unfazed and stay composed to execute well when Tai saved two match points. An anti-climax MS final as Axelsen stamps his authority to control the match as he’s too familiar with Ginting attacking shots, pattern and elementary mistakes. The Indonesian tried to make comeback in second game to inject the pace but it was too late to turn the tables. Another superb year for the Dane to pocket eight titles in 2022 including this Finals, four season-ending crown since Super Series era (2016, 2017, 2021, 2022) to emulate one of badminton legends achievement, Lee Chong Wei (2008, 2009, 2010, 2013). Credit to Prannoy and also Naraoka as well here to challenge Axelsen superiority, being under pressure and puzzled.

China scoops three titles in doubles category, Liu/Ou conquer two Indonesian pairs in a row that powered by thundering and powerful smash, the veterans Ahsan/Setiawan shift second game momentum but struggling physically in final game, the victory is unavoidable for the Chinese duo. Predictable winners, Chen/Jia overpower the blossoming talents Aimsaard sisters and Zheng/Huang did their routine to dispose Bass/Popor, this time in much more complexion in first two games then the Thais consistency waned in decider.

Thanks to Bangkok once again as host replacement in last minute preparation, the venue initially would took place in more spacious IMPACT Arena but the schedule was clash with other functions there. The bidding for next year Finals host which offering US$2,000,000 is still open and hasn't determined yet.

BWF World Tour 2023 will kick off on mid January in KL, MAS Open S1000, who will shine next year?

#256 CLELY, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    It'sMeMeMe, kurako, xzavire and 2 others like this.
  17. sen

sen Regular Member

I have a mixed feeling about this
    Hendra is my favourite double player for a long time, but if they just play without having a target to win the tournament and accept that final is good enough since they are no longer young, then I don't think they can achieve good result. Especially if they are still ranked high and bwf require them to play at almost all the top tournament

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I fully agree. In fact, I even think if LCW were still actively competing today and , say, at age 35, he will certainly be able to take on VA with a 55-60% chance of winning, in my opinion.

I'd add that both Viktor Axelsen and Kento Momota were lucky that they arrived on the scene and started rising just when both LCW and LD,especially, as well as CL, to a large extent, were all in the tail end of their career. Chen Long, I think, at his very best is also somewhat better than VA, just that I wish he could be more proactive and aggressive which he's capable of but didn't do so often enough and instead relied more on his amazing defensive and timely counter-attacking abilities.

I say this not purely based on personal preference but more after studying all their games played. Of course, that's still my personal opinion.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The MS Final today is such an anti-climax that if you ask me about this match weeks or months down the road, the only thing I can recall would be what VA said in the post-match interview that his wife is even more beautiful than his daughter.:p:D;):)

Didn't Ginting watch or know about how Kodai Naraoka gave VA a scare yesterday? I'm sure Ginting has what it takes to do the same to VA if he takes a leaf from KN, not to mention from Prannoy.

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

CHN - 20 SS
    JPN - 10 SS
    INA - 9 SS
    DEN - 6 SS
    KOR - 5 SS
    THA - 5 SS

not bad year for INA badminton, definitely can win more S500+ with many Runner Ups.