I feel so very foolish...

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Charlie-SWUK, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So I saw on e1981 that you can buy Li Ning insoles. I figured, why not see if I can take the insoles out of my current Li Ning shoes and maybe replace them; I wasn't sure if mine were glued in or not.

I took them out, and found some slightly compressed insoles. Easy, they just slid out.

So, with that in mind, I figured 'Well why not see if I can take my Yonex insoles out?'. And surely enough, my SHB 02 insoles just popped right out.

What I found had me in dismay.

The stock Yonex insoles were absolutely horrendous. They were maybe 2mm thick at the toe and heel, with a big bit of padding at the arch. I am actually swapping them out for my Li Ning insoles in my old shoes - because despite having been used for several months longer, the insole and padding is substantially better.

The technology in the soles of Yonex shoes might be good - power cushion and such - but my god they cheaped out on the insole.

Anyone got recommendations for good insoles? Otherwise I'm going to stock up on Li Ning insoles and change them out every 4-8 weeks.

2. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    try Spenco insoles. can get them on amazon at a reasonable price.

3. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    but yes i have found with all brans of shoes the insoles go first. victor sell replacement insoles. i really like them too. but hard to find in uk.

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    These are what I was looking at, but they don't look like replacements, they look like they go on top. Do you just buy a few sizes up and shape it?

http://www.e1981.com/product-2794.html

5. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

I've tried some of the insoles from Spenco, Sorbothane and Sofsole, and they're all head and shoulders above what you get as default in any shoe, badminton, running or otherwise.

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I saw some Sorbothanes, but they weren't textured. I'm a little worried about slamming my toes into the ends of my shoes.

Do you know any with texture Rimano?

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I know that you had some issues with sprained ankles so be careful not to buy insoles which are significantly higher than the original ones. I bought Spenco Total Support (I think) and installed them as replacements in my previous Victor shoes. Due to the better cushioning and better supporting structures, my feet ended up around 0.5 cm higher above the ground compared to the original insoles which I think was partly a reason for the sprained ankle I got just a couple of sessions later. Since then I prefer a little less cushioning and thus keeping my feet closer to the ground.

The insoles that Victor is currently using in the SH-A920s is pretty good and looks almost identical to the Li-Ning ones you linked. But I think the Li-Nings are even a bit cheaper.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Well, my legs have been getting sore while playing, especially shin splints. I guess I'll give the Li Ning ones a good try. I'll find out tonight.

I was recommended Scholl insoles but I think they may be too thick.

9. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    In my opinion, I found all insoles that come default with shoes (even the top end shoes from Victor, Li Ning and Yonex) are mediocre when compared to the insoles from Superfeet (blue and green) and the Spenco Total Support (original).

When someone stubs their big toe in their shoe, its most likely that:
    - the shoe size is too big or has expanded through use
    - the shoe size is too small to begin with (the toe box area is not wide or tall enough)

If you are concern, you can get silicone gel rings for your big toe: http://www.oppomedical.com/footcare/detail_fc.aspx?serno=17

Charlie, if it helps, I am using the lower end model of your Metal-X (i.e. the Saga models) and I pair it with a Spenco Total Support (original) and couldn't be happier. I am looking for a replacement too myself (I have been using it for a number of years and am looking for more cushioning to protect the knees). I too have previously rolled and fractured my ankle due to basketball (grabbed a rebound and landed on someone's shoe), so I understand your concerns and injury fears.

So far, none of the current Yonex or Victor models fit my feet and judging by your use of the Metal-X, you have wide feet so I would stick to Li Ning or the older Victor models like 8500 or 9000 ACE.

Hope that helps :)

Justin

10. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
  11. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I'm going to order a set of the XD8s from Eric, I wanted to order the 7 but they have no larges.

For now I'm going to use my Li Ning insoles. They feel a bit more lively. Postage from e1981 is a little expensive, and I needed other stuff from Eric anyway. If these don't work out I'll buy some Li Ning insoles with more string. Maybe I'll try No.5.

14. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Whose eric?!

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    RKEP Squash Eric!

16. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    oh can we order from him? if he does a good price for the xd8 i might order from him too....

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    He has them; because it comes from quite a long way, I try to order large quantities of items.

18. justplaynow77

justplaynow77 Regular Member

@s_mair i also had a sprained ankle and that made me took out the insole off my Victor AS35. But without the insoles my legs become sore after each practice. If I buy a more serious shoes (like Victor P8500), am I going to experience less of this pain?

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mate, I think you went one step too far there. No-one recommended to take out the insoles completely. They play an important role in terms of cushioning and stability on movements, so not a surprise that you ended up with sore feet. Just don't overdo it with adding a super thick one or one on top of another for example.

20. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

It's better to hv a mid-end shoes w/ excellent insoles than to buy a hi-end shoes w/ a regular insoles. The outsoles is of less importance because of little difference on gripping power, esp. on carpets