IBF Should Sack Jane Hancock

Discussion in 'All England 2004' started by Justice, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Re: -

I wanted to do that! but the TV wouldn't let me!

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Ha Ha,

We are proud that we are better than Indonesia,

why do we want to be compared to them,

we should compare ourselves to progressive people like China, Korea, Japan,

Europe or America.

We should rid ourselves of thies kampung mentality and "boleh"

for creating 'Jaguh kampungs".

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Re: Re: Re: -

There are so many pll there.. i dont think they will know its you , unless if you are the only one throwing bottles ahaha :D

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I'd say Jane is now as famous as John in the badminton fraternity because of that call, especially in Malaysia I guess... Eriksen joked with Wan Wah that she should not contemplate holidaying in Malaysia for the time being. Funny, but kinda enforce the thing about kiasu-ism coming over from our neighbours through the causeway... ;)

I won't say that she's biased. It's just a bad call. It was a mistake. If indeed she was biased, then we should not harp on it also - because that's IBF's concern.

Choong / Lee can make amends during the Olympics! Victory then would be even sweeter as they will be winning the very first Olympic gold in Malaysian history. By then, people would go, "Hancock who?". :)

Ants and Cheung, I won't contemplate any attempts to throw bottles into the court - it'd spoil my TV! :D

5. Justice

Justice Regular Member

Lee and Choong definitely need to improve on the psychological aspect of the game to be more successful. He did said in the postmatch interview that he was affected by it but he did not use as the excuse for his failure.

What we r saying here is not about losing the match. It only a game. However, it’s a matter of principle! Sometimes bad things can only improved if it is looked into properly. Mistake sometimes got overlooked if complaints are not made loud enough. There is definitely no political agenda here, Bbn. (So, are you BN or Bbn stands for bukan BN ?). Bad mouthing fans in Indonesia would not give any good impression to us in anyway. Possible discrimination on whatever basis should be dealt with so that it won’t happen again. The possible mileage gained is probably the advance in civilization. We should not just swallow unfair rubbish, Bbn. We should not also too shy to protest against unfairness like a frail old lady.

There are many good umpires out there. A character like Jane is only one too many!

The least these voice of protest can do is hopefully urging IBF to ensure umpiring of better quality in the future!

6. Justice

Justice Regular Member

Be it a mistake or a discrimination, it should not happen again.

Plz don't say anything disciminating against our neighbours in Indonesia and across the causeway too.

Yellow cards to you people!!

Myself and probably Bbn are now worried about the impression our people projecting to the world.

Justice and fairness, please.

#26 Justice, Mar 16, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  7. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

yes!!!

send emails to IBF to ensure that this kind of stupid calls doesn't take place in future....... ... email them... urge them to tighten up the selection and prevent incidents like this happen........

i believe our danish fans would react in the same way if a bad call was made against the danish pair and they literally gave the rubber game away...........

i do hope that we don't see umpires like JANE HANCOCK appear in TC Final Or Olympics Final...

these two are considered the most important events in badminton................ hope umpires like JANE HANCOCK won't appear in the finals to screw it up././.

8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Why not make a petition? It's good to have petition from those who protest as well as those who defend, using BF as a good channel to relay the views of the grassroots to the governing body.

Eh, Justice, please, please don't pull Barisan or DAP or PAS or Keadilan into this - it's badminton, for chrissake! Leave Bbn and politics alone. ;)

9. Justice

Justice Regular Member

The worst thing about making a mistake is trying to cover it up.

We think Hancock was realising she made a mistake by not giving the let and also not allowing the tournament umpire, she was then try to shut Wan Wah up by pulling up the yellow card!

Obviuosly, those are the rights of the player according to the laws of badminton. Or else, me might as well go lawless and all be outlaws.

Bbn and peers, just in case you have to stand before the court of law, do u want your verdict being passed down by a judge with no freaking idea about any law?

Just the thought of it is frightening!

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Remarks made by some in this thread kinda highlight the difficulties of umpires' work. For work of such demanding nature, I doubt that they're sufficient compensated, let alone appreciated. I think we should give the umpire some slack for making tough (but not always right) decisions under pressure. If you're gonna fire someone for making a mistake on the job everytime, nobody's gonna keep the job. Alexander Pope's quote is apt in this matter.

Jane Hancock may have somewhat 'contributed' to Chong/Lee's loss, but ultimately Chong/Lee's failure to brush aside mental distractions cost them the trophy. Only mental fortitude set apart both teams when they're pretty much equal in all other aspects. No excuse for them, they just got beaten by a better team this time.

11. Justice

Justice Regular Member

You are quite right, no politics depite Bbn thinks that some political mileage could be gained on this, since the big Saturday is coming.

We should not be so kiashu but if we r kiasi, then we might be bullied!

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Although i havent watch that final MD match but i think:

1. IBF should use experienced and seasoned umpire for final matches of star tournaments, especially MD, the toughest to officiate because players (and audience) emotion is high, shuttles are fast, nerves are tense.

2. I dont mind the disruption in games if the issue is serious and errorous call is obvious. There are delays in other sports for call clarification, why not badminton. Better yet, when popularity increase, instant replay should be use on questionable line calls.

3. I dont think we need time allotment for server and receiver. Current procedures are fine, we just need common sense ruling. For example, if the umpire feel the server rushing his/her serve, a warning should be made. If the umpire feel the receiver raise his/her for too long (too frequently don't count), same warning can be made on the receiver. If this extra task is too much for the umpire, then this task should be given to the service judge.

4. I think malaysian coaches should have made some fusses or ask for time out. Even if the call wouldnt be reversed, it give the MAL team to recollect thoughts and resume play with focus on the game. Leaving your players confused and angered on the court alone is not right.

13. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Hopefully...

...these kind of comments are made tongue-in-cheek.

14. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Original by cooler:
    4. I think malaysian coaches should have made some fusses or ask for time out. Even if the call wouldnt be reversed, it give the MAL team to recollect thoughts and resume play with focus on the game. Leaving your players confused and angered on the court alone is not right.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is a very valid point. The coaches should have done that, question is would they be allowed to.

On the same point, it is rather interesting watching the semi bet Lundgaard/Erickson and EngH/limpele. I cannot remember whether it is the 1st or 2nd set, the Indonesian pair was leading and scored a few points in a row and the Danish pair was rather rattled. The camera switched to show the Danish coach shouting instructions from the sideline and more incredibly, he was signalling to the Danish pair to ask for a change of shuttles! It was very, very obvious that he was attemoting to coach from the sideline while the match is still in progress. I really doubt this is allowable behaviour, not to mention sportsmanship. In fact, if I remembered correctly Hall/Clark (commentators) actually made comments that this was not allowed or acceptable. yet he got away with it.
    I guess the IBF should have a post-mortem of every tournaments and look at the behaviours of all the officials (I incl coaches and umpires as officials) especially those caught on tv (well, the whole badminton world saw it) and politely warn or alert them to the misdeeds so that it will not be repeated again. If the same is repeated, then more severe action can be taken- this can be the istuation applying to J Hancock.
    On another note, having an accredited rather than a certified umoire for the final of a prestigious event like AE really calls into the judgement of BAOFE as well as the officials of IBF who sanction such a move.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    This thread should be called, "That call; the topic that will not die".

I can almost see a lock on the 'submit' icon already,

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: Hopefully...

no they are made in earnest.

18. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Good for you...

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Thank you, where's the next bomb going off?

Tu.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think your points are well-considered and I fully support.

I also think that on point 4, the coach/manager concerned should try to intervene diplomatically and help his players. Affected players are naturally agitated and are not composed enough at that moment to properly convey their message across to the umpire, who may also feel threatened and therefore have to guard his/her position regarding his/her decision. But, having so many years of experience in the international circuit, it is disappointing that the aggreived party did not employ his options well and allowed matters to deteriorate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.