INA vs. CHN group match : deception or real?

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, May 10, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in the long anticipated group match tonight, INA and CHN fought and bloody battle as predicted. however, although much blood was shed in the battle, CHN surprised everybody by handing INA a golden duck of 5-0.

i am sure even the most extreme Chinese supporter would not have dreamed of such a scoreline. anybody with much analytical ability would predict a scoreline of say 3-2/4-1. but a 5-0 is beyond everybody's imagination for supporters and non-supporters of either side, especially when the match was at home.

while we must congratulate CHN for preparation well done, they had used loudspeakers and teammates with thundersticks to simulate the expected hostile cheering from local INA supporters. as a result, players seemed to be unaffected by the locals.

however, this is only a group match afterall. as mentioned by one of the member, it was only a battle won, but not the war. the real fight happens in the later stage. i cannot help but to wonder, was there any strategic reason to the lost?

CHN has put up their best lineup as far as we can tell, at least, one of the best that we were able to come up with and the coaching staff certainly has even better info that us, and they've shown that they've fought brilliantly.

but what about INA? nobody expected INA to come down so tamely.

Sony narrowly lost first game but seemed to have given up 2nd game.

Taufik who was able to disect Bao so brilliantly in SC lost in 2 straight sets.

Simon's lost was expected but the first set wasn't exactly a push over either.

Luluk/Alven - not sure

Candra/Trikus - shouldn't Flandi/Hian be a better choice?

i see questions in both the lineup and the way it was played out. perhaps it was a INA strategy to give CHN a false sense of victory and superiority only to take them down in the final by surprise?

if so, it was certainly a risky move as they will have to go against two strong teams in the later stages.

but perhaps not a bad strategy as the Chinese team are rather young and may not have the mental preparation for such a move.

but i think the full strength of INA will show soon during the later stages, when a match lost will lead to immediate elimination.

so what do you think?

this TC is certainly playing out to be the most interesting one in recent years.

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Loosing deliberately is a bad plan

I think that any strategy to loose deliberately by Indonesia is bad. For one thing, the looser will have a harder quarter finals against Malaysia (assuming the looser beats New Zealand) while the winner has an easier quarter finals against Japan (or South Africa). Given that Malaysia is also strong enough to beat Indonesia (both teams are probably about equal with Malaysia having stronger singles and Indonesia having stronger doubles) while Japan should be an easy win, such a strategy is very risky at best.

Second, if Indonesia wants to throw a few matches, it might be a decent strategy, but loosing 5-0 can be devastating on one's moral. If they wanted to loose, they should try to loose by 2-3.

My guess is that China completely outclassed Indonesia.

Now the Malaysia/Thailand game may be thrown by Thailand. At that point, the quarter final opponent is not known so it makes sense for Thailand to throw the match and hope to play a weaker opponent in the quarters. It might have made sense for Malaysia to throw the match to avoid either China or Indonesia in the quarters. However, playing S. Korea is probably as difficult as playing Indonesia. My guess is the Malaysian coaches sent out a weaker team but instructed them to win if possible. I am not sure whether the Thais tried their best.

Ron

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Lin Dan was clearly in a class of his own,as were Cai Yun and Fu Hai feng,

so their victories were deserved. Sang Yang & Zhenng Bo were probably fitter.

Bao still has weak mental strength and loses concentration , in set 1 allowed Taufik to catch up from 14-6 to 14-13.so you could say Bao still has a lot of work to do.

Xia is Xia, putting Simon Santoso against Xia is like putting a lamb to slaughter.But Simaon Santoso has the silky skills of Taufik.

The Chinese team are well prepared and I think Cai and fu have really improved with new skills displayed.

Dont think INa lost purposely, probably a bit shell-shocked and weak in some depts but dont be surprised if they bounce back!

4. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

I doubt very much losing to CHN 5-0 is part of a strategy of a bigger plan. Now INA has to get by NZL, then MAL and DEN to get to the Final. But on the other hand, CHN need to get by potentially... JPN & KOR
    No way it is a deliberate loss by the INA. CHN looks very strong, looks as if they are going to steamroll all their opponents. :eek:

5. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I concur. Getting through New Zealand is easy but getting through Malaysia and Denmark are not. At best and with home crowd, either match is about 50-50.

Getting through Japan and then a weakend S. Korean team is much easier. Also, Indonesia's strength is in their doubles and the injury on the Korean side makes their doubles weaker.

I think that China has exposed the weaknesses of team Indonesia. At this time, I anticipate Malaysia to win the tie and knock Indonesia out of the competition.

Ron

6. pyeap

pyeap Regular Member

last nite, i have been sitting in front of the TV for more than 5 hours (CHN Vs INA).... i would say the INA very unlikely were loosing as planned..especially for d 1st single and double...which the INA was trying very hard and putting what they got to win the game....the environment was like playing in d finals..sooooo exiciting...neck to neck...point to point...

anyway, my opinion is: CHN is back..after handing over the trophy to INA for the past several years... i would say they are well prepared this year to gain back honour..

7. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

I think Indonesia was trying to win, but China was really strong. If Indonesia wants to beat China, their players have to play all out 110%, I think Indonesia would get better if they can survive in quarter and semi. If they can reach final and play China againt, they will not have anything to lose, which is even more dangereous for China.

8. pyeap

pyeap Regular Member

Agreed..especially for the 2nd Singles and Doubles cases..they must hv thought of something to improve their performance, and to give their opponents d very tough fight in d coming games...to me, INA will never give up so easily... hence, CHN has to be prepared n not under estimate them...

9. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

were INA playing not concentrating or what??? i cant believe they got defeated 5-0...

it certainly boosts the confidence for cai/fu and bao though :D :D

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    some thing that Christian Hadinata said about the INA vs. CHN match. he says China played a "perfect" game, they were hoping to win from 2 doubles and one single from either Taufik or Sony.

they think Luluk/Alven have been playing quite well and Candra/Trikus have experience over Sang/Zheng. if they can get one of Taufik or Sony's match, then will be go home with a victory. despite the INA players not playing their best, he says Chinese players played absolutely perfectly.

he hope that would wake the INA team up from now on.

11. ymq03

ymq03 Regular Member

It was a bit shock see the 5:0. But if we looked deep into it, I believe INA can put up a fight with China if they can reach final.

1st single: I think Lin Dan outclassed Sony. Even for the 1st set, Lin was leading all the time until last moment. Like Peter Gade, he normally took the 1st set, but eventurally lost. Once Lin put him into another gear 2nd or 2rd set, no one can stop him.

1st double: this is the major focal point. Somehow Ca/Fu are very effective to INA pairs. I do not think they can easily beat Malaysia or Demark pairs. INA supposed to have the best MD, they need to figure out a way if they want to keep the TC.

2nd single: Taufik should take a point for INA regardless whoever played for China. I doubt Chen or Xia can beat him at home ground. Bao's playing style somehow give trouble to Taufik. Bao is the best pick for China for this spot. Even that, it was the weakest link for China.

2nd double: INA should take it anyway. I could not imagine why INA lost this point.

3rd single: If Xia plays for this spot, this point is China for sure.

So overall, 1st and 3rd single is for China. 2nd double is for INA. If China get 1st double, INA 2nd single would be in great pressure. And for Bao has nothing to lose (everyone think Taufik should win). The pressure is much less. For weak mental issue on Bao, this may help. But if China lose the 1st double, whole thing is the other way around. So the 1st double could effect the whole game. I do not think INA chose to lose this time. This was a wake up call to INA. If INA can reach final, the game will be even better. I do not think another 5:0.

12. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

I dont think that Ina purposely lose to China...I totally agree with everyone's opinion... Regarding the bao-taufik match yesterday, its obvious taufik is not concentrating on the game...Do you think he was affected by the car accident issue?I think bao played really well yesterday but taufik was just not himself...He looked as though he was dreaming during the game, just like sony in the 2nd set...I was very disappointed with sony's performance yesterday...I thought it would be an interesting 2nd set... :( Lin dan, needless to say, always a class above every other players...Alven and luluk did well too but still not there yet...I didnt get to watch the candra/trikus-sany yang /zheng bo match...How did candra perform yesterday?I know they lost but is it because of him?

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    As an unbiased observer I feel the result isn't that surprising. It reflects the world rankings. Cai/Fu are the best pair in the world right now,when they play well. All the Chinese singles players have outperformed the INA players over the last year, even China second doubles are ranked above the best INA pair.

Having said that , assuming that the two sides meet again later I feel this result will help the INA side, it will be difficult for China to perform well under pressure knowing that they are expected to win easily...

14. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yup you are right dlp, but that is assuming INA will make it that far.

I have a feeling someone else will be in the finals, and it could be the team China fears most :)

15. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

Hehehe, I really doubt that there is a team China fears, rather all teams fear China now after yesterday's 5:0 over INA. ;)

16. sen

sen Regular Member

I watched the first 3 matches.

Sonny, Lulu/Alven played their best. The match are quite tight.

I believe the 3 Chinese singles player have to perform in order to impress Li to select them to Olympics. They played well under pressure.

I think the Indonesian were really outplayed.