India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Srikanth said in an interview that he will play still 4 tournaments this year.

1)China Open
    2) Hongkong open
    3) Superseries finals
    4)?

I don't have any idea.

2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

4) PBL starts around Dec 23, 2017- Jan 14 2018

John I'm likes this.
  3. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Seriously, all this does is ruin the chances for other talented and qualified players. Winning the Indian Nationals or getting to the final can change the life of a player, and get him opportunities to travel the world and achieve his dreams, perhaps even becoming the next Indian superstar. The way it is now, these top players will just romp to victory and no one will be able to tell who are the future talents. The Indian Nationals has long been a stage to identify future great players from the days of Prakash Padukone. These top players participating only takes away opportunities from future talents

nokh88 likes this.
  4. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Maybe it's a Grand Prix Gold? Macau or Indonesia perhaps?

5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    • for nat'l pride
    • it will give more fans a chance to see them play in person
    • it will elevate the status of the tournament
    • it will inspire the other participants in the draw
    ...and give them a false sense of security. any athlete who is serious about being a professional athlete wants to play against the best. if you think a better player is taking something away from you by playing in 'your' tournament you need to try a different line of work, because with that attitude you won't be the next superstar.
    was it really only to identify future great players? maybe because there were rarely current great players. interesting. i would expect a tournament with that kind of purpose would be held at the middle school and/or high school level... certainly not your country's 'national' tournament.

the landscape of india badminton has changed, so the purpose of the tournament must change as well for the greater good of the sport.

btw, i doubt any of the players are upset their nat'l heroes will be playing.

nilesh123 and badmuse like this.
  6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

It has generated a lot of excitement and it is a very strong field! I am happy to see the top players in action.
    Prakash Padukone as a 16 year old kid had to beat India's best players to win the Nationals. Saina Nehwal had to beat Aparna Popat before she won the Nationals. Saina lost in her first try and won on her 2nd attempt. The organisers have spent as much as one does to host an SS event. :)

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

The legends have arrived in Mumbai!

8. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

Where can we see the live broadcast of legends vision India

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

9. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    You aren't going Mumbai?

10. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

Na bro

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

11. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Never in Indian history have there been this many players who are literally world top 3/5, and having the ability to beat anyone in the world. That sort of ability happens through careful development of a player. India has a huge population, so identifying future stars is key, and giving them proper development. The purpose of the nationals isn't explicitly to identify future talent, but it has always been implied. Look at last year, when Lakshya Sen reached the final, now he is hyped as the next great Indian player.

Perhaps there is a talent in the draw who can become the next Indian great, but he gets whitewashed by Srikanth or Prannoy (Or Saina and Sindhu if it is a girl) early in the tournament {I don't see anyone getting a game off these guys, unless they go easy}, then who will notice them. The nationals have long been the place where talent is identified. Right now, India is starting to create these talent development systems {It's probably the best measure because you see the performance of players in high pressure situations, their mental game can be a much better indicator of their future than their techniques or physicality}

It doesn't create a false sense of security, it simply gives them an opportunity to actually be world class. Of course you want to compete against the best, but everyone knows that no one simply gets to world class, a lot of development is needed for that, that the other Indian players have yet to undertake. The nationals is the perfect place to see who should be given those development opportunities. Adding these top players in, who will just massacre through the tournament with ease makes it extremely hard to find who will you get. Will I take the guy who got 21-14 on Srikanth instead of 21-12 like another guy, it makes no sense, score isnt the best indicator of difference in level, the actual match has to be dissected in order to find that out

All your points are valid about why it is good, but there is more money here than in a Superseries event, why don't they spend it on a tournament of that class, and get world class badminton from all around the globe into India, it would be a much better investment for Indian badminton. It would be a fair fight {Unlike the massacre it will be at the moment in the Nationals}, give Indian fans the opportunity to see world class badminton every match and inspire everyone.

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Legends having fun matches!
    The highlight match was Lee Chong Wei/ Lin Dan vs Saina Nehwal/PV Sindhu 4-5
    Saina/Sindhu won a 5 point thriller! :)

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal and Peter Gade

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Saina Nehwal and Lin Dan

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Winning moment for Saina/Sindhu! Short clip. :)

16. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Wonder if these Jump clears from LD and LCW would actually be viable shots in a real match? :)

John I'm likes this.
  17. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Look at the elevation LD and LCW have on their jumps, they still got it

18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Srikanth Kidambi / Lee Yong Dae vs Lee Chong Wei/Lin Dan 9-8 Short clip on winning point with match at 8-8. :)

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Senior Nationals, Upcoming player Shreyanshi Pardeshi wants to play Saina or Sindhu! :)

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan to LCW : ''Bruh, You had one job! '' :D

samkool and badmuse like this.