India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

19 yo Ashmita Chaliha lost in first round of qualifiers of Vietnam Open against Wei Yaxin of China who's also 19 years old in two straight games.

As expected, Rohit Yadav Chittaboina also lost in qualifiers against a Japanese player.

2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

nilesh123 likes this.
  3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    even moreso to kim ji-hyun...

#3323 samkool, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    badmuse and nilesh123 like this.
  4. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    That's the worst written badminton article I've read ever.

Not to mention is a haphazard mock up of this
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.time...edical-emergency/amp_articleshow/71133163.cms

Hope Kim's husband recover soon.

Cheung, badmuse and Biglever like this.
  5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

KIM JI HYUN Resigned sighting Personal reasons.
    UNFORTUNATE SITUATION.

nilesh123 likes this.
  6. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Big big blow. But family comes first. Speedy recovery to her husband. Now, I think Park Tae Sang will do double duties?

7. mohans

mohans Regular Member

And this happens when PVS was able to peak after half year and in the most important time leading up to Olympics. Hope she carries the confidence forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baddie lover likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India are looking for a temporary foreign coach . It takes time to find a great coach like Kim Ji Hyun. Extremely sorry for her husband's health and her departure.

The plan is to take sometime and hire a foreign coach for a longer duration.

10. Baddyforall

I am extremely disappointed with the performance of Meiraba Luwang . He lost when it is extremely important. I am afraid his game is more of fast paced game . When the opponent slows him down, he is gone. He don't even know how to finish of the rally. He is the one who will make the mistake and finish the rally.
    I expected Indian team will field Satish kumar in the place of Meirabe Luwang for chines taipei tie. But they fielded Meiraba again even when he lost to Japanese player in the previous tie. Sad but this is indian reality.

Sumanth99 and Baddie lover like this.
  11. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Sumanth99 likes this.
  12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The Japanese player smashed more often than Luwang, Luwang need be quick while moving towards back line and smash more often.

13. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    I think he’s very talented and still very young. Speed is a huge asset that not many players have. Tactics can be coached and learned. This kid has a bright future.
    Japanese players are never easy to play against and this player actually beat the Chinese no. 1 as well in the team event.

Baddyforall, Sumanth99 and Cheung like this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

By the same token you could train a talented player and make him faster. You can't make general statements like that. Some players can be coached well, others can't. Some are tactically aware, others aren't. There's no simple rule such as "speed is genetic, tactics can be taught". Both can be taught/trained to a certain extent and different players have different limits they can't overcome.

15. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    Coaches are there to refine your tactics on the courts but players have to do the legwork themselves on court. Yes tactical acumen can be innate but speed cannot be coached if it ain’t there in the first place. Stamina, on the other hand, can be coached. Just an opinion

16. Baddyforall

I meant that he was always fielded as Singles no.1 for India even though he lost in the previous tie . Indian team selects the no.1 single all the time when they could have given chance to no.2 player and see how he fares against more fancied opponents. Actually speaking, Satishkumar was selected because he won senior ranking tournament last month when Meiraba Luwang lost in the semifinals to the runner up Pranav Rao Gantham who also got selected in this tournament.

That's why, i am saying , they should give chance to other players who have done well in domestic circuit.

#3336 Baddyforall, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's an opinion that is factually wrong. Certain aspects are genetic, others aren't. An athlete with a lower type 1 muscle fiber count can become quicker just as much as one with a higher count can - through proper training, both physical preparation and technical improvements (footwork, in this case). They will only fall behind if the player with better genetics for this particular task is training similarly well. Endurance is exactly the same - some athletes will have more of a gift for it than others. It also depends on the pacing of the match, and that's where tactics, technique and mental discipline come into play.
    Other aspects can also play a role in how fast a player is around the court, for example being technically better and more versatile, not having to get behind the shuttle as much as a more pan-handle-y player....
    People tend to pretend that everything mental/cerebral can be coached, when it cannot necessarily, and everything physical is set in stone, which it isn't. Every athlete is unique, limited in different ways, and predictions about potential improvements are always guesswork. Tactical awareness and good decision making can not be taught to all players, just as not every player can reach the same explosive speed.

Also, coaches are not only there to refine tactics. Good coaches will either have the knowledge of how to physically prepare their athletes or delegate it to someone who has. Usually, the most efficient setup at elite levels tends to be a work split between badminton coaches focusing on technical (both racket and footwork skills) and tactical aspects, and more general athletic coaches focusing on the purely athletic aspects. However, never is a coach limited to just tactics (in the training environment). I've never seen that and I really doubt we'll ever get to that point.

#3337 j4ckie, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    djake, Cunning Linguist and Sumanth99 like this.
  18. Baddyforall

Indian selection process itself is a joke , i think. Maybe some other person has different opinion which they can express here with explaination.
    Losing in the round 1 or 2 in world championships is not at all acceptable if they really need to show results in doubles . What is the criteria with which they select players?
    Is that national ranking or Selection process using tournaments?
    If that of national ranking alone, i am afraid we will not improve in the near future. I never heard of Iman sonawal winning any national level tournaments before but he was selected only to lose in R2 of Championships.
    Where is it going?
    Anybody has any insights regarding the selection of Iman sonawal and his partner in this world championships ?

19. Baddyforall

Nice to see @Morten Frost Hansen sitting as coach for Lakshya Sen in the ongoing Dutch Open 2019

Baddie lover likes this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree with you. However, in my location in HK, the coaches have a different view.

Our kids between 8-9 year old, in a government subsidized elite training program, will undergo an assessment for promotion to the next level. From what I have seen, skills is not the most important asset. It's speed of footwork. There is a definite preference for faster players and skill levels are treated more flexibly.

It may be that speed is harder to develop whereas skills and tactics are easier to develop.

The coaches here have a lot of players in the pool to select and it may be the same in India. However European countries have a smaller pool of kids playing. I remember one coach from England telling me they are happy to have any kid who is interested in badminton because the number of kids playing is pretty small.

j4ckie, Sumanth99 and Baddie lover like this.