Inter-Constituency Badminton 2005 (Singapore)

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by Sealman, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Dear all badminton-crazy Singaporeans,

Its time again for the Inter-Constituency Badminton games starting this Sunday 27th March 2005 onwards. For fixtures, please refer to the link below:

http://www.pa.gov.sg/csc/fixture_ICBAD.asp

Heard on the grapevine that some "foreign" coaches based in Singapore will be playing this year eg. Aman, Dicky, Zhang Qingwu etc. Believe they are qualified to play since they are already permanent residents of Singapore.

Mr. Loh, if you are reading this, hope you will be providing coverage of this tournament. Its always a pleasure to read your interesting writeups. :)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you Sealman for your compliments and timely reminder of these constituency matches. I think these games are good for Singapore badminton as a whole as many other not so well known players will have a chance to participate.

As far as I can remember, the inter-constituency badminton team championships have been in existence for a very long time although I have never witnessed any of them because of poor publicity, unlike the tournaments organized by the SBA. And if the foreign coaches have now fought off their shyness and come forth to participate, then it will even be more interesting and motivate the organisers to set a higher standard all round. Hopefully, the coaches will be well-spread out among the constituencies and some sort of a rule be applied to ensure a more even playing field. I heard that the constituencies tried all sorts of means in the past to 'collect' good players like the ex-nationals players, to play for them. But they may now have new rules to prevent this from happening.

Do you know about the current situation?

I will try to attend some of the matches, if convenient. (Do they play all over the place instead of a single venue? I think I'll look at the website later to confirm.)

Maybe this time, you can make regular reports on the games for a change? :p How about starting off with an introduction - history, format, teams participating, past records, personalities, etc? :D

3. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    hmm.. there are still CSCs which 'kope' players from other CSCs, i prefer not to name them. one need not play for the CSC he is under, just as long as he is under the same GRC and there are only 4 GRCs in the whole of singapore. rather unfair system :crying: my CSC is going to lose! i heard no changes will be made this year, but next year they will most likely change this to make it a fairer playing ground.

4. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    One of the players whom I know, managed to get hold of the list of participating players and found that these "imported" players are all playing for the same top constituencies. I suppose the results of some matches will be lopsided.

FYI the matches will be held at Hougang Sports Hall and the finals will be held at Choa Chu Kang Sports Hall. Being a newbie in badminton, I regret that I do not know much of the history/past records of these inter-con badminton games.

If you are interested to know the teams participating and last year's results, here are the links:
    http://www.pa.gov.sg/csc/grouping_ICBAD.asp

http://www.pa.gov.sg/csc/fixture_ICBAD-Finals.asp

Interestingly female players are allowed to compete in the women’s singles only. There are no Women doubles matches.

Cheers

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks Sealman for the links.

I am really pleasantly surprised that there are so many constituencies from all over Singapore participating - 60 teams in all! This must be a record of some sort. And that is why, for the sake of time and yet to encourage more teams to remain in the competition, they have devised a combination of round-robin and knockout systems like Group Double Knockout, Group Single Knockout, with both Winners' and Losers' Pools. Yet the tournament is stretched over a long period from 27 March to 21 May, with matches on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Round 2 fixtures

I suppose the poaching of good players still persists, but with the stricter rules now in place this will become more difficult in years to come.

The match format is quite interesting with a rule on the min. and max. no. of players based on the following: MD (1st), WS, VMD (Veteran of 45 yrs and above), MS and MD (2nd). If they stick to this format, then the 2nd MD will be crucial in the decider if the teams were all level at 2-2. Maybe it is high time they introduce XD, but as always, it is difficult to find more women players.

Yes, I will attend some of these matches to sample the atmosphere and proceedings. :D

6. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi all,

do u have the time schedule of the matches?
    can go see see look look.

Hi fanatico,

do not worry, yr team still not the worst team. There is a team in Spore more worst.

ceng

7. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  8. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was at the Hougang Sports Hall yesterday afternoon at about 1.30 pm and was taken aback by the huge number of badminton players gathered for the second session of this Round One tournament, the first session having started at 10 am and the next session will begin at 4 pm. Never have I seen such an impressive congregation of badminton enthusiasts and I must have missed many of these tournaments during the past many years. I saw some familiar faces, friends and fellow combatants, but most of them were new to me.

The Singapore Sports Council was originally the organisers but had since passed the baton to the People's Association two years ago. The SBA supplied most of the qualified umpires who had a busy time scheduling the fixtures.

60 teams from the various constituencies are participating with half of last year's 8 seeded teams enjoying byes in this first round. Last year's champion, Mountbatten CSC (Constituency Sports Club), was unfortunate in the draw and had to play Round One.

There was a change in the order of play in the five events. Now, the Veteran Men's Doubles (45 yrs & above) will have to bear the burden of deciding the winner if the score is tied at 2-2. The format is now MD (1st), WS, MD (2nd), MS and VMD.

This tournament will be a long-drawn affair that will last until 21 May. The Finals will be played at another venue, the Choa Chu Kang Sports Hall.

I recommend our Singapore BFers to go to HSH or the Finals at CCK SH, to have a taste of the popularity of constituency badminton in Singapore. Hope to see you at the Finals at least.

Attached Files:

10. choonghannrulez

choonghannrulez Regular Member

the last pic is Jarrod tan from RI, oso in the national youth team but he lost to the former Juying guy, loooong game though ;)

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I saw this match briefly and was quite surprised that he lost. It must have been a hard-fought match and his opponent, though not quite having better strokes, committed to running for every shot and it must have frustrated Jarrod who must have given up mentally! ;)

12. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Great work Mr. Loh!

13. Z1985

Z1985 Regular Member

slack
    Yep.. i saw tt match too.. tt juying guy's khiu ke wei..
    damn.. he's fast.. and persistant. must really bow to him to hav won jarrod despite of jarrod's beautiful strokes.. its the match between geylang and nanyang rite? i heard the ppl making alot of noise for the decider match..
    it seems like a tough ride..

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Loh.. you just love to take pics man!...

My gosh.. so many pll in the sports hall.. how many of them there?? 1 to 2 hundred?

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yah, I was surprised to find sooooo many people, most of them would be participating in the competition. Easily over a hundred! An eye-opening experience for me!

There were 12 courts at Hougang Sports Hall, 8 of them used for matches and the remaining 4 courts at the far end were used for coaching.

The next time you're here, I'll take a pic of you, so bring your best racket! :)

16. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Tomorrow's match between favourite Mounbatten and Eunos should be quite interesting ie Indonesian imports vs Chinese imports. Those interested can go down to Hougang Sports Hall 12/4/05, action starts 7.30pm onwards.

Cheers

17. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  18. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired