Is it legal to block the net?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Slanter, Jun 27, 2002.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    In support of my statement, i have viewed many many video tapes of international tournaments and watched many high level tournaments and i have not seen block shots made closer than 1 feet from the net.

I like to clarify my last statement, what i meant was i rarely see block shots been made or attempted by pros or advanced players from the tapes and tournaments i have seen. Of those rare occassion, those block shots were made no closer than 1 feet away from the net.

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    the person I play with would probably never play in tournaments so I doubt he cares. what he does is literally shadows the shuttle so that his racquet is probably no more than 1/2 ft away from the shuttle on his side. It is a clear obstruction but he claims he has the right to block the shot since his racquet is still on his side.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Well, I've been involved in similar cases like this.

Once u try to explain some rules to them, they just totally ignore u, and think u r just making a damn excuse for losing a point. To be even worse, they even use this to show off, how cool their "invention" could be. Since, most ppl don't know this kinda rule, they always get the majority to support them.

Well, to me, surely I was upset sometimes. However, I think since it's just practice, I will just try to let them get away. If they don't care about the rule, that's their business. As least, I have to follow the rules properly, and make sure won't lose easy points for illegal moves in tournament.

Also, anther excuse: give them several easy point, will make the practice games more competitive for me. :eek:

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

That is the spirit Lazybud. :) People who don't want to listen or learn is why they are where they are.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

It is like smokers saying he/she has the right to smoke in front of non-smokers. They don't know or care that whether their rights infringe upon other people's right.

6. Zhang Ning

Zhang Ning Regular Member

Some players in my club have this kinf of habit :

When they did drop shot or net play, before I take the shuttle, their racket is ready to block at the net, so when I flick the shuttle, it touched their racket and bounce back to my court . they do it like they are playing volleyball. Is it legal to do that??:confused: :confused:

7. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    From what I understand of the rules, you can't block a shot at the net with your racquet held still in anticipation of the lift. However, you can attempt to block the shot by swinging your racquet, even in a very small movement, with anticipation of the lift. The difference between the two being, in the illegal case you're holding your racquet still, the legal case you're swinging/moving your racquet in a stroke.

I've seen a lot of beginners play weak net shots, and when they see their opponents coming in for the kill, they rush the net themselves and their racquet held up to block the kill. Not only is it really dangerous to do so, but illegal as well.

#27 timeless, Apr 22, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
  9. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    I thought you can do whatever you want as long as your racquet don't cross the net.

I've also played with players who played a net shot too high and see their opponent coming to the net for a kill, they just kill the shot themselves so they wont get hit with the kill from the other guy.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's only illegal if it is considered to distract or obstruct the player. If you obstruct the follow-through of a lift, for example, by placing your racket head in the way. Blocking, of itself, is not illegal.

11. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    :eek:, LOL.

12. other

other Regular Member

Student
    lol......i thought that would be pretty dangerous what with the other player coming in at full steam, about to make the kill......

surely they are allowed to "block" if the shuttle has crossed to their side of the net? and if it hasn't, and they still hit it, then it is a fault.

please explain how exactly they block?

ok...having read the other thread.....how do i interfere with their follow through unless i have my racquet on their side of the net?

#32 other, Apr 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2004
  13. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

They're are allowed to follow through over your side of the net. Not likely to happen from a lift though.

14. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

You got to be bloody kidding!!!! That got to be the funniest thing I have yet to see in badminton.

Blocking a net kill is legal..and risky? If you can block a smash, why not a net kill? As long as your racquet doesn't cross over the net.

15. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

It's definitely illegal. They have to wait until after you hit the birdie to do it.

16. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

No, you can't do it even if your racket doesn't cross the net.

17. SmashingBird

So technically, I can't move my racquet after I hit a shot until the other person hits the bird?

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yup! But you can raise the racquet to protect yourself if you are infront of the netkill's path.

19. SmashingBird

So say I smash, as soon as I hit the smash with the follow through, I have to keep my racquet down, I can't even bring it up.

20. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

So what is the differenc? You play a net shot & your opponent do a net kill, your racquet was up:- protecting your face/ready to block/or just in a ready pose; the net kill bounce off your racquet and goes over the net. Your racquet was stationary.
    :confused: