Is there really a need for badminton shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by daph56, Nov 24, 2004.

1. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    1 Must try on the sock. Good footwork + Good shoes + good socks. Much faster

2 Nittaku has the best Table Tennis racket and rubber. "KVS" or "Violin" racket + Morristo2000 rubber. Super control and power + speed.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A bit of advice on when to buy badminton shoes : don't go straight into a sports store and try on a pair of shoes. The best time is to choose a hot or warm afternoon, walk for some distance with badminton socks, and then and only then, go into the sports store to try on a pair of shoes for size. :D

3. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Thank you for your help. This make shopping easier for me. Thanks.

(don't forget to try the Nittaku socks)

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe the Mizuno 7KM 34014 has been replaced by 7KM 34009. I have evaluated the new 7KM 34009 and the 7KM 42062 and they are no where near as good as the discontinued 7KM 34014, with anti-twisting and anti-centre "collapse" properties as disappointing as the Yonex shoes. If you shop around a bit you may come across some unsold 7KM 34014. :crying:

5. Mr.Sir

Mr.Sir Regular Member

Hi dear,
    I personally have known a lot of persons get permanet injury in knees just because they don't wear the correct shoes. It's a must. Each type of shoes has special features to protect the person for the specific sports.
    Best regards

#45 Mr.Sir, Dec 2, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  6. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    of cauz shoes is a top priority.to me.i play at least 3 times a week.but really if you only play like 1 a month or something like that then using normal shoes is ok.but if you are like doing all the drills and everything and playing competieive than without shoes is just like not wearing your underware.hahax

7. K-MusclePower

K-MusclePower Regular Member

There isnt exactly a need for badminton shoes. any shoes will do. just that some places have rules against marking courts and others just like the comfort. No need for court shoes most ppl just want them

8. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i will tell u something that would make myself look stupid. i wear soccer shoes for badminton.(without studs) last time i tried normal track shoes and i burst 2 of them. my feet just came out of the shoe while doing 'emergency brakes' during the game

9. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    I didnt think Badminton shoes are really necessary before, but now I think a good pair is really important. It provides more comfort and feels alot lighter too, you could really do with the extra "cusioning" for landing after a jump smash. ;)

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I would argue against not having badminton shoes (even volleyball shoes are better than running/tennis/cross trainers). Those non badminton shoes tend to have higher arches/heels and you can roll your ankles easily due to the nature of badminton stops and starts.

DivingBirdie, I think you have been extremely lucky in not injuring yourself playing in studless soccer shoes.

11. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    Back a long time ago I went without badminton shoes and just used a pair of light decent trainers or running shoes over a year or two when I'd just started to play badminton. I had no injuries.

However...badminton shoes Are important. I'm not saying with 100% certainty that Everyone who plays badminton without shoes will get injured, because that would of course, be absurd.

But given some injuries can be very serious, is it worth risking it? I seriously think not, especially not when to prevent injury, a pair of reasonable and cost-effective badminton shoes can be really quite cheap. My current shoes only cost £15 to £20 over the years that I've used, and they are fairly good, there are most likely even cheaper ones out there.

A good pair of badminton shoes is even better, particularly with cushioning and such which is even More important for constant, and particularly competitive play. They have many advantages.

Primarily what I'm saying it, Badminton shoes are important. Yes, there is a need for them, Really. They're essential because they prevent potentially serious injury; it's not worth the risk using just running shoes and such. It's safer to use appropriate footwear.

Also, this thread is old. :D

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Obviously, you haven't been playing the sport for a long time... at least competitively.

13. gDon18

gDon18 New Member

Air?

(my first post, go easy on me pleease:D)

I quickly scanned through the 3 pages of replies on this thread, and i was wondering why an air bubble was so looked down upon? When i think of an air bubble, i'm thinking technologies such as Nike Air max and even their zoom technology (which is actually lots of little air pockets rather than one giant air bag which is used for guards and lighter ppl). If badminton has a lot of quick starts and stops, then i can't imagine basketball not being considered having a lot of quick starts and stops (see Allen Iverson's double cross-over the other night...)

In terms of rolling ankles.. well there's always Wince..:rolleyes: ahem Vince Carter... but most of the time, basketball shoes are meant to protect against ankle rolling by having the higher tops and technologies such as the straps, or inverted monkey paws with exterior skeletons (see Nike Air Ultraflights). Btw.. no i'm not a Nike rep, i just really like kicksology.net back in the day and was a little intrigued with the disdain for the air technology. :confused:
    [​IMG]

14. illkid

illkid New Member

Receptionist at GGBC
    hahah shoes are really that important.. well recently i have been playing in nike shoes.. and yes.. i sprained my ankle.. now it looks like an egg.. ahha but i still play.. so what baminton shoes do you forumers suggest i use?

15. mandm

mandm Regular Member

If right shoes were important and were designed to save us getting serious injures than why we still see African athletes running w/o shoes…….

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If that's the case, why don't you try running barefooted yourself:rolleyes:? Fact of the matter is that there are different surfaces we walk/run on and not all of them are friendly to your joints and feet. Badminton requires adequate level of grip that a sweaty feet on a hardwood floor can never provide;). A good pair of court shoes will save you from injury later. Not every situation is the same.

17. Gosupizza

Gosupizza Regular Member

a very important reason why we wear badminton shoes is that like other court shoes, their non marking so the caretakers wont bite your head off:)

and the lower heal is very important as you hafta be extremely mobile and not mess up your ankle

also badminton shoes have soft padding on the heal to prevent damage from jumping and repulsion padding on the front to increase your vertical.

18. leehsim

leehsim Regular Member

I can only think of the following:
    1) No sponsorship from ADIDAS, NIKE, etc to the African athletes;
    2) can't afford to own any shoes;
    3) prefer to go natural;

19. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    well they probaly run with bare foot since day one
    do u?

20. Baddict_2006

Baddict_2006 Regular Member

Chef
    But of course..YES!or unless you really want to hurt yourself?or you were born with a large feet that no shoes can fit?hahaha.(just kidding):D