Issue with chudek frame support

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by razorei, Jan 5, 2018.

1. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    Hello guys,

Thanks to your advices, i've bought chudek's frame support and received them this week.

I manage to string my first racket with it (Z-strike at 27x28 lbs) but when pulling the crosses, the frame moves and tends to warp a lot. Every time i pull a cross, i see the racket warping which is quite scaring.
    I've tried to tight the support but this do not help.

My current machine is a pro's pro challenger 2 on which i've added a wise 2086 and AEF clamp and clamp support.
    I don't have this issue with the standard K shape pro's pro support (i've customised them by addind some felt)

Could you please help me? i think im doing something wrong but for the moment i don't know what

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Can you post a picture of your current setup and mounting position? Or even better, try to post a video that shows the warping.

I don't see many things that you can do wrong with the Chudeks tbh. It's kind of a plug and play thing.

#2 s_mair, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  3. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    Ok I'll try to post one tomorrow :)

4. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Sounds like one of your support arms is moving or your clamps/bases are slipping.

5. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student

Not really, i use flying clamp for the crosses (MBS).
    The racket is sliding on the side support, it's not the arms which moves

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    it wont be the crosses. If one of your fixed clamps slips even .5mm one side of the racquet will have less tension, it'll show when you do the crosses. Trust me, it was an issue I had briefly until I ditched the crappy pp clamps.

7. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    im using AEF clamp and bases for the main and keep on using the flying clamp for the crosses because i find it more practical.

I don't have problem when pulling the mains, the racket don't move, but when pulling the crosses, the frame constantly slidding on the side supports each time i pull the string.

8. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    So the racquet is moving, rather than one side narrowing?

9. radu_popeanu

radu_popeanu Regular Member

Sales Manager
    You should post a video with your issue. I’m using the same side supports and clamps on a Penta Premium Stringer 3600. I have no problems even with tensions over 30 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    I'll try To do that this week-end as I'll string another racket tomorrow

11. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Actually I have pretty much the same setup as yours.
    Z-strike 12,5 kg squared with a prospro, AEF and chudeks.
    I had experienced similar problems. The z-strike frame seems to be thinner and therefore a little more stretchable than a voltric 80 for example.
    Try stretching the 12 and 6 o'clock supports even more, afterwards u fasten the other supports tightly. This counteracts the compression by the mains and the decompression which occur when u get to the middle of the crosses.

Also it's nothing to be too worried about. My z-strike is still healthy and does good

One more thing. Don't use flying clamps if you have fixed clamps. The results won't be as good as they could be. Imagine having a Ferrari and only using the first three gears.

#11 Mr Arc2, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I can't agree more. The teeth gap of the AEF clamps are perfect and fit on every racket when doing the crosses. Using flying clamps when you have such good fixed clamps available makes no sense at all - you will end up with softer crosses than mains since it is inevitable that you lose a bit of tension with the flying clamps compared to the fixed ones.

Apart from that, I'm looking forward to your video clip to see what's actually going on there. I also can see the frame deforming/warping on my machine, especially on the outer crosses. Some rackets more than others. But there should never be any actual movement of the frame in the mounting points.

13. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    That's whatchu usually have with the old support. A minor warp on the outer crosses but nothing special. Now the racket warp much more and the frame is sliding on the support (the racket rotate as the string is pulled).

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If the rackets are sliding in the support pieces, then they are not tightened enough in the beginning. Simple as that. Or you have them positioned massively wrong.

Another thought - have you checked if all sports (main and sides) are at the same height? For example, I had to add two washers to raise the Chudeks to the same height as the main support surfaces.

15. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    I think is option 2, I've check the picture chudek sent me and the support are perfectly perpendicular to the frame and I didn't place the support like this
    My support touch the frame with an angle which make the contact on just a small point
    I'll try to do it right next time
    I'll post here to tell if it solve my issue

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You can be quite sure that you've found your issue. The supports have to be perpendicular to the frame at the contact point you ensure the biggest possible surface to touch the racket. Especially if you use them without additional plastic tube bits at the contact points. To have them turned could also cause dents in the paint since the load is concentrated in these small contact points. So that's a clear no-no with the Chudeks.

17. gilesports

gilesports Regular Member

I stopped using Chudeks supports a while ago, I found that the plastic front was moving allot

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You mean the white plastic parts at the front? If they have come loose, either glue them back in or replace them with bits of plastic tube. Problem solved.

19. razorei

razorei Regular Member

student
    i managed to string a second racket today, just finished with it.

It's much better than the first string job but the racket start to slide after 1/3 of the cross. After retightening the top 2 support, it won't move till the end.

The tension was low for this one (22lbs), i'll see if it still behave like at higher tension but for the moment im ok with this and it's quite the same behaviour with my K shapped support.

here is a picture of my installation :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    For minimizing sliding, you can apply heat shrink tubing on the supports. Your set up is good for bottom-up of the cross, but for top-down the position of the shoulder supports is bad. For loose supports maybe your ratio isn't perfect for your machine or you overstretch the 12 o'clock/6 o'clock before, so your should supports get not much load. Never stretch or compress a frame by tightening supports.