Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I am in no way saying LCW used it for that purpose but c'mon really? LCW was stretchered off in the wc2013 final due to lack of endurance, It is critical in badminton. Many times have we seen games being won and lost due to a player tiring out.

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    yes, i read most of the comment but could not understand much about those chemical, however i plan to use those banned substances to improve my game since I am not under testing

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I can understand your confusion what with all the medical experts here. Maybe this question will help clarify your thinking : if LCW had more endurance and less skills, would he even reach the finals?
    Which MS do you think are in the same league as LCW in terms of skills?

4. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Good one. Funny.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Go ahead. Give it a shot. We won't miss you except for the "players by countries" thread during tournaments.

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

don't be silly, of course you will.

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Tell us the difference!!

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thats why I specified 'the way cycling does' - it's a different type of endurance. A cyclist has to endure hours and hours of low-mid intensity stress, whereas badminton has intervals of high intensity followed by short breaks. Cyclists will spend most of that time below the aerobic/anearobic threshold, whereas badminton players are above it during the rally and have to regenerate as much as possible during the small breaks between rallies.
    If you compare the muscle fibres of cyclists (not sprinters), badminton players and short-distance runners/sprinters, you will most likely find 3 different compositions.

My point, basically: badminton players and cyclists train completely differently when they want more endurance, at least if theyre smart.

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

#10649 eaglehelang, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The answer to your first question is unanswerable! and in terms of skill probably only a handful of players, if you include speed and determination probably only LD but I don't see any relevance.
    I was replying to Jackie who said/implied that endurance training has little or no benefit in badminton which imo is ludicrous. In fact coincidentally using the example of the wc2013 in the run up I saw pictures of the China team doing that very thing, endurance training at altitude (running up steps of some mountain). Anyway Badminton players do train for endurance and it does have great benefit in the tail end of finals after a week of badminton. (e.g lcw v LD wc2013, tago v jan o couple times in final)

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

My point is badminton players would, could and do benefit from high altitude training, so you can not rule out the said drug for it's performance enhancing abilities to negate side effects in high altitude training(apparently you said it not me) based on the fact that badminton players do not need or use this type of training, because they do.

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I don't think you know how regular testing is done. Also, the more tournaments a player competes, the higher his risk of being dope detected. You re suggesting previous tournaments testing was negative because of luck? You think their testing is as poor as your Maths?

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Let me try and make the question answerable. Which LCW is more likely to make the finals? A) LCW with a lot more endurance and a lot less skills or B) LCW with a lot more skills and a lot less endurance. May still be unanswerable but choose the one closest to your mind.

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You flattered him. The " players by countries " thread is too elementary for the space consumed.

15. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Being angry does not mean you are right :eek:

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    If the B sample is positive, some members will be elated, some members will be disappointed..because of their comments.

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

First of all anti-doping is always a cat-and-mouse game between the cheaters and the enforcers. Whoever gets the deeper pocket always has the upper hand in terms of getting the latest technology/method to detect or to evade.

Not in a million years do I believe badminton is 100% drug free nor the cleanest of them among all other sports. With one positive test once every few years is not the reflection of the real world.

So, why is the detection is so low? Either badminton is really drug free or the cheaters have the upper hand.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow, so now you're hinting that BAM is also involved in this?

Btw how did the Lance Armstrong affair affect you?

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think you may be missing the point. Sportsmen in any sport at the top level all have great skill. It's that edge that counts. Everything makes a difference at the top.
    Now my point is addressing people cloaking this drug saying it has no relevance or possibility for providing an unfair benefit in badminton using ill logic.

Put it this way if I were to say Jan o was using anabolic steroids to improve strength, but badminton uses skill and technique and strength does not matter that much because a wee girl can smash harder than a body builder so wada should not take action, you would think I am stupid, same thing. I could easily explain every drug on that list to be irrelevant to badminton although I would be talking nonsense.

As i said before I don't think LCW has used it in this way but it is on the banned list and it is there for a reason, It is up to the individual to prove the matter in which it was used and to prove it was not used in a performance enhancing way and I wish LCW well.

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: A new development has taken shape in the investigation on world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei’s doping case.

On Thursday, Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said that they were awaiting for another random dope test result of Chong Wei conducted on Aug 15 to shed some light on the presence of the banned substance dexamethasone in the shuttler’s urine.

Chong Wei was tested positive for dexamethasone during a doping test at the World Championships in Copenhagen, Denmark, on Aug 30.

Dexamethasone is not a performance-enhancing drug but a type of steroid medication with anti-inflammatory effects that is usually used to aid an athlete’s rehabilitation.

Khairy said a thorough investigation on the shuttler’s recent medical history revealed that dexamethasone was administered into his body on July 17 to treat his injury.

Then, Chong Wei was nursing an inner thigh injury. Despite being the defending champion, he pulled out from the Glasgow Commonwealth Games from July 23-Aug 3 in his bid to recover for the World Championships.

“We are looking at another test right now. The athlete had taken an out-of-competition dope test on Aug 15 in Malaysia and it was conducted by WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) before he left to compete in the World Championships in Copenhagen,” revealed Khairy.

“The test was sent to a laboratory in Barcelona, and it did not show any trace of dexamethasone. This is because dexamethasone is allowed during out-of-competition tests.

“Once administered into an athlete’s body, dexamethasone should metabolize within 10 to two weeks. It should not be in the system for more than a month.

“We are checking the sample again (in Barcelona). If we find traces of dexamethasone, that will confirm for some freak reason the slow metabolism process of the substance in the athlete’s body.

“It will give us some clue on how it can be in his system for so long (from July 17-Aug 30). It will help us to establish a point that will help us in the mitigating process,” said Khairy.

He added that various independent tests were also carried out by the National Sports Institute (NSI).

“The NSI have also conducted tests on the athlete’s supplements and drinks, his bird’s nest consumption and even his hair gel. We want to be as thorough as possible,” said Khairy.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...velopment-to-Chong-Weis-doping-investigation/

While you all are busy debating, here's more ammo for tommorrow's ...discussion