Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Lee Chong Wei and Tai Tzu Ying.... !

2. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    For LCW's doubters, CL will beat LCW every time they meet. LCW will beat CL in 2016 Olympic. For LCW, 2016 Olympic gold is his ultimate redemption and his only goal. He would not care if he loses to CL 10 more times, he only needs to beat him once. The only hurdle for him is another sleeping lion-LD. LD has the same goal, the third Olympic gold. LD doesn't care less if he exits early in any competition.

3. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    we have the same thinking ... =p

just like before 2012 Olympics , most of the time lcw was defeated by CL , at that time , I till remember many ppl were doubting on lcw , whereby his main competitor not only lin dan,but CL is also a strong contender. And CL was the men to beat . But when it came to Olympics , LCW proved the game by a one sided affair . :)

4. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

He was preparing himself to play a never ending running game with CL. But CL can run forever!

5. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

LCW said he and his coaches had a game plan on how to counter CL, but it didnt work. and he will continue to find ways to counter CL, he will find and find and if he fails, he will find again and again. thats the spirit!

6. Poppe

Poppe Regular Member

LCW should play his own ass- whopping style combined with long rallys because cl has less control of the ball. To do that LCW needs good condition and clear sharp head.
    Cmon, LCW dont need to work hard in rallys with cl if he doesnt look for early opportunities.
    Imho?

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wow, I almost can't believe the stats - Chen Long beating LCW 8 times in a row !? I was thinking with their standards so close, Chen Long would at most win 3 out of every 4 encounters or so in any given year.

It turns out that Chen Long has done to LCW what Lin Dan didn't or never did. Perhaps age is finally catching up with LCW imperceptibly.

Anyway, there is still a few more tournaments before the year is up, I'd expect LCW to get one back from Chen Long at least. Too bad it didn't happen for him at the Jakarta WC, that's life.

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

not quite, 4 in a row twice since 2012

9. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Yeah but that was 2012, where LCW was 3 years younger.

Sadly age catches up with all pro players one day...

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the post-match interview, LCW admitted he couldn't match Chen Long's fast pace and was reduced to passivity most of the time. So how do you expect LCW to go all out attack against Chen Long whose retrieving ability is superb?

If LCW tried that gameplan all the time, I'm afraid he would be exhausted after just one set which means even if he wins G1, he'll be too tired and lose the next two sets, imho.

The sad thing is that LCW can impose his fast and furious attacking game on almost everyone else and beat them by a clear margin, for instance against JOJ in the semifinals. Just that he couldn't do the same to Chen Long, and that's telling.

That said, past results as a whole is an indication but not a guarantee of future outcome - there's still hope for LCW to beat Chen Long except we don't know when (CL off-form, having a bad day, unforeseen circumstances,LCW playing above himself, who knows).

11. Poppe

Poppe Regular Member

At the post-match interview, LCW admitted he couldn't match Chen Long's fast pace and was reduced to passivity most of the time. So how do you expect LCW to go all out attack against Chen Long whose retrieving ability is superb?

Fast pace may mean short fast play and back and forth play?
    When lcw smashed under the game he was gaining points which is ass-whopping style. If he do this by quickly raise the pace in the the game, may be the game-plan. Like LD plays kinda.

12. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
  13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

14. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    No problem

15. visor

visor Regular Member

What does everyone think of how the 5x11 points game will affect LCW's chances against CL? Would the shorter games allow older players to have more rest and better chances at maintaining higher intensity?

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    CL is a bit of a slow starter, which is where LCW tends to capitalise. Usually LCW is able to get the better of CL in the first game unless CL is nervous and edgy which is when he gets straight into full-attack mode like he did in the WC this is when he is dangerous.

Not sure how the 5x11 pt game would help LCW but I personally think LCW needs to shorten the rallies early on in the match, play some safe backhands rather than run around them to conserve energy and then pick up the pace later.

LCW is fast but his work rate is higher than CL's who uses less energy to move around. I think if LCW can save enough energy for the latter stages of the match, he will stand a good chance of beating CL whatever the scoring system is.

17. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    LCW should play like when he won All England 2014, he tried to not use any energy if the rally went long.

18. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    CL's a different man than in 2014's All England. Not sure if that'd still work.

19. Poppe

Poppe Regular Member

Exactly!
    According to jo jourgensen, LCW is the fastest player. Save energy in long rallys and quickly raise the pace which would cost alot of energy for cl.
    I think LCW will loose if he tries to shorten the rallys using alot of energy against an defensive cl who will raise the pace when LCW is tired. Same as WC-final!

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Having watched the final and semis again, and paying attention to the speed of play, I had the impression that LCW could have done much much better then he did. It was actually one of his worst performance in recent time I believe. The following points did strike me, specially in comparison with the second game of CL-Momota:
    1. When CL lifted or cleared to LCW, LCW many time was left with no reaction for short moment before going for the shuttle. His reaction time was so bad, it was a bit like me playing. This is the most important factor in his defeat I think.
    2. If an attack is close to the side line, CL's defense is not so good : there are many opportunity to follow with a push or a drive. LCW did not do that.
    3. LCW totally gave the net to CL. Normally this is quite a strong area for LCW, but for this final he was under par. He did almost no pushes and surrendered the front court. This made CL give him very few opportunity to attack (Momota got many smashes opportunity that way in the second game).
    4. Normally LCW would regularly put his hands on the floor so to defend smashes ; he did nothing of the kind and CL's attacked went through so easily.

There are other points and the coaches will talk very long about it to their pupil. I am not saying LCW could have win the matches if he would have performed better in those area, but it would have been a close three setters for sure.