Lin Dan punched coach Ji Xinpeng

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by rwchen, Apr 9, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Whoah..

...look who's back!!..I'm shocked, too!;)..Well, it didn't take much of a topic to have you back and post again in BC, eh, Jason??...:p :) *looking at the last post you posted was abt 8 months ago*..:cool:..

2. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I'm a fan of Lin Dan but I do not agree to certain action of his. But there's probably more to it then just what journalist says. Speaking of journalist, it is said that the event was witness by teammates, coach and journalists, but how come there's no pictures? Journalist just travel with just pens and paper now?

If Lin Dan and Ji Xingping exchanged some harsh words then it must have attracted some attention and I'm sure that the journalist has the camera ready on hand. Beside, it's a huge event right? It's like the selection for the Thomas Cup team. Don't tell me that the China badminton team held an event like this and no came with a camera.

3. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Nah, I yelled him up on MSN to inform him about this incident and gave him the BCentral link. Within a few minutes, he was back alive and kickin' :p:D

4. angle409

angle409 Regular Member

5. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Shouldn't we at least wait until another report, pictures or statement from any witnesses before jumping in and calling LD this and that?

6. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    hm..I cant read chinese...care to tell us the big picture?;)

7. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Lin Dan just denies firmly, and says he'll maybe take legal actions. And LYB states that it all isn't true.

8. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

This is very true. How come not a single picture? Where is/are the pictures?
    Is someone trying to make a BIGGER April Fool's Joke than our Oldhand. :p
    If it's true, it's not funny. :mad:

9. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

If this is an open event, there must be quite a number of media, n LD should know that...so, he punched Ji Xin Peng in front of media? not that logic...n this event provide no cash money, no olympic points...what for he go and fight with the coach????His own coach, from the same province...not LM, Misbun or other coach...??????

But, if he did...then, I m very dissapointed with him...it seems that he had not learn a lesson from KO08 (his is lucky for not being punished) + he called himself Army....don't you think army is taught to abide to instruction n respect your Superior? I thought our chinese teaching, our 5000 yrs of civilization emphasizes on moderation? If he did, the image of China Badminton Federation will be badly torn....

But if it is not true...then serious action/penalty must be imposed on those media...

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Taken from South Morning China Post ( April 11,2008

Attached Files:

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Scmp

Bad-boy Lin in spotlight again after 'fist fight' with coach

Martin Zhou in Beijing

Updated on Apr 11, 2008

World number one Lin Dan has been caught in a publicity storm after allegedly being involved in a fist fight with one of the top national team coaches.
    Lin, an Olympic gold medal hopeful, came to blows with Ji Xinpeng, the 2000 Olympic men's singles champion, mainland media reported. The punches flew over a petty argument during a training drill on Tuesday in Jinjiang, Fujian province, according to sport.cn, a website affiliated to the General State Sports Administration. The national badminton squad have been stationed in the coastal province for their final preparations for the Olympic Games.
    The outburst reportedly erupted after Lin's group suffered a defeat in a practice drill. Lin, affectionately known as Super Dan, complained to Ji he had been unfairly placed in a weaker group. Ji did not take kindly to the criticism and their verbal exchange spiralled into a fist fight, which was stopped quickly by fellow players and coaches.
    It was the second fracas this year involving the 25-year-old reigning world champion. In January, he engaged in a war of words with South Korea national team coach Li Mao, who is Chinese, over a flurry of allegedly biased line calls in the Korean Open final against Lee Hyun-il. Lin threatened to attack Li with his racquet, only to be restrained by tournament staff. Lin eventually lost the match 2-1.
    The Korean team filed a complaint to the International Badminton Federation, which later ruled Lin's argument as legitimate after identifying errors in the judges' calls. Lin was exempted from disciplinary measures by the international governing body and mainland sports authorities, who usually come down hard on athletes who disgrace themselves on the international scene.
    On Lin's web blog yesterday he said he had an altercation with Ji, but said some aspects of the reporting were not true. Head coach Li Yongbo could not be reached for comment.

#51 Pete LSD, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  12. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Ji did not voice out anything till now. I guess it might be true after all.

13. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    got any pics of it?? ahha :D

14. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i hope it is not true. i hope the press might have sensationalize things a bit. what happened is not good for the image of badminton. but i agree that we have not heard the whole story yet and thus should wait to find out more.

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

In my opinion, I believe that what Lin Dan wrote was true...."there was an altercation"...ie: dispute during the Thomas Cup Simulation match held by Team China. As for the punch....we shall wait for more clarification.

Further quotes from sina.com.cn:
    “当时是发生了争执,但我没有打人,就算打也不会打吉新鹏。
    Lin Dan himself admitted that there was arguments and even if he was to beat ppl, he will not beat Ji Xinpeng :eek:

#55 badMania, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    To me, Taufik is still the bad-boy of badminton! :p LD has to do much more to wrestle that title from Taufik. ;) :D

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    maybe that can be arranged:p

18. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Hahaha TH is still the "bad-boy" in badminton. LD is the "bad-man". :D:D

19. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    It's a new challenge for Lin Dan, I'm making an assumption. As a supreme singles player, winning and losing is entirely up to his prowess, and personal responsibility. He has extremely high standards for himself, and shows in his win-loss record.

Putting him in a group format a'la Thomas Cup, his fire and passion for winning has not diminished, but now the responsiblity for winning has shifted from personal ability, to team make-up, now in the hands of Ji, the alleged punchee.

It's possible that Lin Dan expected the same high standards to secure a win, and was sorely disappointed that Ji was not taking this standard as seriously as Lin Dan would like it.

A case of having a passion for quality above all else.

Or else.

And I guess it's the "or else" part that everybody wants to focus on, tabloid style.

-dave

#59 wood_22_chuck, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    TH is married, has a child, no longer a boy:p
    u r just reminiscing them good (or i mean his bad) old days:p

#60 cooler, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008