Looking back at this WC

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by block306, Aug 22, 2005.

1. block306

block306 Regular Member

I guessed looking back, one can probably say that

Biggest winner is USA, blowing all odds possible to win the MD gold. Badminton is also the winner in the process.;)

China had a not-that-great outing: apart from the totally expected win both the Women events, they have failed to capture any of the other 3 events. Arguably China has great potential in these 3 events, especially the Men Singles but they came home empty-handed (well, runners-up in 2 events).

Indonesia had a great outing in capturing 2 gold and runners-up in one. While it is always highly likely that Taufik will previal in the Mens Singles, it must be a very pleasant surprise for Indonesia to capture the XD as well; though it will be slightly disappointed with runners-up in MD.

Malaysia had a reasnable outing as though they have the biggest contingent, the only realistic chance for them to come up tops is the MS event. Even here they are not really expected to come up winner. So in 3/4 placing for this event as well (the unexpected well) 3/4 placing in MD should count as a sucess.

Denmark will be disappointed. They are faniced to do well in MD but came up short. However 3/4 placing in the MS should not count as a disappointment as, like M'sia' LCW, he is only really expected to be at this placing.

Korea though not winning any medals, should count as a reasonable outing. They are not really expected to be winners in any of the events.

Biggest disappointment: the whole tournament was ruined by the draught factor in the stadium.:eek:

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I totally agree on the Team USA and the wind issue in stadium. Somehow, I think US gets a bad image in IBF now, as they blew their own chance, for not providing a usable stadium. Come on, this is world class tourny, and the playing condition is even worse than some "warehouse covered" local clubs. :cool: Sure, it's impossible to just build a brand new stadium, but I am sure there certain things could be done in advance, just to minimize the damage. However, the only thing was done was to durn down A/C, and that was after the tourny already started. Of course, the surprising win in MD did saved some face.

I don't really think CHN are the favor for 5 gold at the 1st place. No surprise the lady events become a all CHN match in the final. However, the other 3, CHN are never the alone favorite anyway. Lin Dan is good, but there should easily be another 8-10 names being metioned right next to him to be able to get the MS title (like always). Cai/Fu gave CHN high hope in 16 yrs after Tian/Li. However, They are the under dog, when to be compared with other pairs like Sigit/Candra, or the Dane pairs. This is not all about skill, but more on experience side. Give them 1-2 yrs more, they will be surely better. CHN's mix clearly showed a lot of trouble lately. Just the surprise win in Olympics made ppl still believe Zhang/Gao are still the best "besides Kim/Ra". No, no more "Kim/Ra vs Zhang/Gao for sure" days.

3. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Apart from the windy conditions,the WC was in fact really well organised.What i felt was missing was the fact that prior to the tournament there were not many ways in which the WC was promoted.Perhaps the organisers should have taken a leaf out of the way the Singapore Open 2005 was promoted through roadshows and all.That would have ensured a build up to the WC,but more importantly 'the hype'.

One good thing i liked was the changing adboards behind the players[just like in football]

4. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

Somehow I'd like to give the organizers the benefit of the doubt that everything that could have been done about the draft was indeed done. I'm sure they must have known about the problem and I can't imagine that every possible measure was taken. After all, what can you really do? It's not like you can turn off the airconditioning at such a venue.

5. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Another thing i would like to add is the fact that this WC was definitely the best tournament this year when it comes to participation of a lot of countries in the later stages of the WC.

I will just sum up this which should show that there was a lot more colour since many countries[some total suprises] actually managed to advance to the later stages,and not just the usual ones.

All acheivers QF onwards

MS-

For the MS[the most open event] Quarter finalists include-

[From]

China-3[ meaning that China had 3 players in the last 8,the QF]

Denmark-2

Indonesia-1

korea-1

Malaysia-1

So in all 5 countries were represented by players in the last 8,which is good.

WS-[Many Suprises]

China-2

Germany-1

Hong Kong-1

England-1

France-1

Chinese Taipei-1

Japan-1

7 countries represented in the last 8[best of them all even if it was known that the winner would be a chinese]

MD[The biggest suprise...u know what...US victory]

Denmark-2

Indonesia-3

Korea-1

USA-1

4 countries represented in last 8

WD-[probably the least interesting event in terms of results....there is no hope at all that a chinese wont win]

China-4

Thailand-1

England-1

Malaysia-1

Korea-1

5 countries represented in last 8

XD[WHile Tony/Howard are hogging all the limelight we must not forget that there were outstanding acheivements from both the kiwi and the thai pair to grab a medal ,even bronze will do]

China-3

Korea-1

Kiwis-1

Indonesia-1

Thailand-1

Sweden-1

So what i am trying to say is if Badminton has to get really popular,this is what we want ...more countries coming into picture.

China,Denmark,Malaysia,Indonesia,Korea,England are countries where Badminton is Popular.Singapore,Phillipines, are very interested in the sport and are doing a lot of things to promote the game there.Japan is hosting the Thomas/Uber cup next year and the game is growing there as well.

Hopefully perfromances by the US,Kiwis,Thai in the WC[winning medals] will be taken nicely at homeand the game gets promoted there as well.

If we have such results throughout the year,i.e a lot of players from different countries get results in grand prix tournaments then badminton can only grow.This is what we want.Dozens of countries fighting for medals and cups in International Badminton.Wider pool of players of all kinds from all sorts of nations to add to the colour.

The important thing is also to have better continental representation which is why it would be great to see the sport rise in Germany,US,New Zealand,Australia,netherlands,etc.

Of course on a personal note i would like to see Baddy become big in India and if it does sponsors will pour from everywhere.the good thing is we are for the first time having 2 Good international tournaments in a span of 6 months;The Asian Championships[after China masters] and The Thomas/Uber Cups continental qualifying rounds[in 2006]...So...

More countires,This is how Badminton will grow and as i see it, things are aldready starting....

6. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

Cant agree more.. as my nick suggests, i'm really CRAZY about badminton.. haha. really hope to c this adrenalin-level-raising sports to gain more popularity around the world - juz like soccer does :D

7. rachelchan

rachelchan Regular Member

Absolutely agreed with all your analysis !
    The draught problem was the key factor for most of the potential players, which
    deterred them to perform their best..like Lee Chong Wai / Lin Dan..
    so it has created an unfair environment for all players, some are at advantage due to the draught some are disaster of it. So, am very disappointed with the organizer, they have not solved the problem properly. :mad: Thus, this has brought a " not so good " experience for most defeated players I guess, because they were not able to perform their best ultimately!
    As an audience, I did expect to see a better match between Chong Wai & Taufik, and Taufik against Lin Dan. If their defeat was really partly due to the draught, it's just so unfair to them ! or they just don;t have the luck as the draught was helping their opponent ? having said that, not denying Taufit's best performance ...but I was hoping to see a more thrilling match on the SF & Final ...both against my favorite Taufik.

8. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Ahem..I think you forgot Malaysia...so that's 5 countries..How could you mention Korea and Denmark who had never won the Thomas Cup and forget Malaysia, the 1992 winner? Shame on jOO! :D

9. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Sorry I missed that,
    WHOOPS:p

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    One of the positive things that no one had mentioned is that the size of the audience is quite big. This may be due to the USA MD success, but still ... a WC with only a sprinkling of people is negative publicity.

11. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Speaking of which,do u know the attendance for the finals?How many people were there?i know it was n't jam packed but would like to know the figures.

12. jumpshot

jumpshot Regular Member

A figure in a local paper indicated approx 7500. I don't doubt the number.

------

I wonder why there were no WC/Yonex banners displayed at the front of the Pond like eg. next to Katella Ave? They had it behind the Pond well away from the roads. Were the organizers restricted in any way?

13. rudytjip

rudytjip Regular Member

The funny thing about wind draft from A/C...it affects both sides, not just one! You can't really use that as an excuse for losing. The player who adjusted better to the conditions wins...and that's part of the game.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Whatever outside factors that may prevent (both) players from playing their best should not be part of the game.

15. rachelchan

I do agree that the draught will affect both side, but my point is the condition set for this kind of world class tournament must be really world class..how can
    the draught can be an issue & eventually affected the players performance ?

And I am not using this as excuse for any players who lost their game, just point out that the organizer should not allow this happen, somemore they are a such country who emphizes alot in sports..don;t they know how to deal with draught problem in badminton tournament ???? if that is the case..why must we play badminton indoor ? outdoor will do right ?

If one player complaints about the draught, then it may not be true or situation may not be serious. But most of them face the same problem.

As taufik said there are 2 opponents in the court, 1 of them is the " draught "
    And i could not understand when you are a professional badminton player, you must learn how to fight the draught as well ?? or expect there will be draught in any countries hosting any tournament ?

Correct me if I am wrong ...thanks

16. rachelchan

Yup..that's exactly what I am going to say ...

players should be tested their skills, physical and strength so on..if they channel all their energy to fight against the draught, I think it left little room for them to perform their best..they can fight with the opponent skills, tactic or strategic..
    but the draught is quite unpredictable..this is not part of the game.:)

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    accept the fact we do not live in a perfect world.

18. rachelchan

Isn;t it a criteria to make sure the court is condusive & tip top condition to host
    such a big tournament ???

It is too much or asking for perfection if just to make sure all players will carry out a fair match under good condition ????:confused:

19. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    the venue is a bad choice for the WC that sums it all!

20. rachelchan

True enough !! Hopefully US will learn from this experience about its shortcoming in organising badminton tournament , if they do really want to promo / lift up badminton as a widely accepted sports in their country.