Melboure 2006 Commonwealth games

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by Sudda, Oct 14, 2005.

1. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

been told that full black racquet signifies the player NOT using racquets produced by his sponsor (i.e CCM may be using a non-Yonex racquet in this case). i noticed that it's got an oval shape as opposed to the isometric one too.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think now that Aamir Ghaffar has been put in his place, we can put this to rest. Onto the individual events.

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    You guys have too little faith in Wong Mew Choo. She has stronger nerves than Tracey :p

EDIT : Aamir Ghaffar is a pom

4. bdbc74

bdbc74 Regular Member

Know somebody where one can buy this very cool tiger-stripes Malaysia t-shirts?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    so, is the thomas cup next after commonwealth games?

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Anyone know if the seeds play today or if they have byes into Rd. 2. Can't be bothered to click on every match link on the website to find out–terrible design.

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Team England land mixed silver

From the BBC website:

Team England land mixed silver

Robertson and Emms could not save England from defeat
    England missed out on the mixed team gold in badminton after losing 3-1 to a strong Malaysian team in Melbourne.
    Olympic mixed doubles silver medallists Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson got England off to a good start, beating Choong Hann Wong and Stock Ai Ooi.

But Aamir Ghaffar lost his men's singles before Tracey Hallam went down 25-27 22-20 18-21 to Mew Choo Wong.

Malaysia sealed victory when Chong Ming Chan and Kien Keat Koo beat Anthony Clark and Robert Blair 14-21 14-21.

England coach Ian Wright said: "We gave it our best shot, it's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

"Malaysia were the big favourites and we got really close to them. We couldnt have done a lot more.

"It was a strong performance and it bodes well for the individual events."

As each of the 10 Team England team members played in the mixed competition, they all receive a silver medal.

8. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    The coach told you?!!! Ants! Are you at the games or did you ring him or something?! *peers suspiciously* If I found out you're here and you didn't come and say hi, I'm going to so open a can of whupass when I see you next time! :p

The atmosphere at the finals were amazing! You guys who got to watch the WMC and the men's doubles would know what I mean..it was edge of the seats stuff! It took me until 2am to finish my article for IBF because I was trying so hard to capture what happened! Took lots of pics with the victorious Malaysian players too and WMC even let me borrow her medal, she's such a sweetie! I'm going to try and convince her to come play in the Equinox NZ Open! Woot!

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If i'm there i will surely meet up with u, Loh ,FEND and others. If not i really deserve the Whoppass! . It thru Phone call and text msges... i have to work also. Some of the players are really estatic about the win.I guess i have to ask them to treat me for dinner when they come back to KL. Gold medal means good cash incentives from the government. :D. Hopefully they will land more medals in the individual events.

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    So confuse

So I take it as Adelina think 21-point still can have different suspense? I think the true test for 21-point system is during Thomas Cup SF and Final where teams are more balance. The 21-point did pretty well in China Master, IMHO. As a older player, I prefer 21-point(had tried) as I don't lose because of my stamina and able to go all out without worrying too much about my durability. As viewer, I think 15-point is more exciting to watch but sometime games can drag too long and for the 5-events per tournament, is not easy to concentrate in watching ...

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No, there are no ranking points available for the Commonwealth Games.

12. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ant you mean you know some of the players who won the gold medal yesterday?

13. terry

terry Regular Member

I guess Ants knew everyone of them :rolleyes:

14. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

their men's Singles coach is Lee Jae Bok from South Korea.
    http://melbourne2006.com.au/Participants/Participants?ID=103932

their MDs were previously trained under Rexy b4 he came to malaysia.

#254 tutu_h, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ants is probably the unofficial big brother of the malaysian team ...

16. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

oh, is that how it works?
    hmmmm, that's a bit harsh then, i thought it would be alright as long as everything else he wears is yonex.
    weren't both of them using at-700s before the CG?

17. Sammy

Sammy Regular Member

Engineer
    Haha I know every single one of them but they just dont know me. :D

18. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I agree with HAN on the 21 point system. :) Also, I might want to add, with the new system, for older player like myself, I am confident I won't get thrash 21-0 21-0 by younger players. :D I hate making myself look like a complete fool when all I want is to support and enjoy my favourite sport, Badminton.

Looking forward to watching the Semis & Finals of CG. This will be my very first live match with the new system. :)

19. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    21 Points system

Seeing the system in action at the Melbourne CG, I can definitely tell you that it has more pros than cons because:

1. It gets the crowd going more because every rally counts and the games always seem tighter between players, even where the standards are miles apart. So more interesting for the crowd.

2. More intense for the players because they have to focus harder not to make silly mistakes and give points away. Less of good players mucking around with not so good players just to get some game time. So that's good.

3. Give more opportunities for not so good players to upset better ranked players as seen happening quite regularly at the MCG with the young Indian players upstaging their more fancied opponents.

4. So with players concentrating on making less mistakes and focussing more, it increases the quality of badminton all around.

Cons:

1. It sucks if it gets so exciting all the way until a player serves into the net at 19-20 to hand the match to the opponent without much as a rally. Lee CW pointed that out and I agree..that kinda sucks.

2. If there's drafts (and often there is in big venues), then it can affects quality of game when players don't deal with the draft well.

Overall, I think the 21 points system will be here to stay.