NBG 98 vs NBG99

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by khalvin, Sep 25, 2017.

1. khalvin

khalvin Regular Member

Student
    Hi there! Newbie here!

I'm still considered a newbie. Been playing for about 2 years. I've mostly played with the BG66UM or BG66F at 22-24lbs. I'm actually quite curious about the NBG strings or control strings.

Whats the difference between NBG 98 and NBG 99? Any comments regarding personal opinions, experience or anything related badminton strings are welcomed!

Thank You!

P.S - Would you recommend the NBG series or Aerobite for me to try?

2. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    If you're just curious about control strings, I'd suggest BG80 over everything up there. Mind you, total opposite of 66 and really hard feeling string.

NBG98 is really slippery and purely repulsion based. Great string to maximize repulsion while retaining decent durability. 99 can't really comment since I didn't feel anything from it.

3. Renshuu

Renshuu New Member

NBG 99 is a very very good string at 30+lbs. The control on net and drop shots is astounding. You might not like it if it doesn't suit your playstyle but since it's so different from the rest I think you should at least give it a try.

4. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

NBG98 and NBG99 are two strings that are almost on the opposite side of the string spectrum. I would suggest to notice thicknesses of the strings. If you are used to 0.65mm control strings like BG66 you will NOT like NBG99 at all which is more of an all around string at 0.69mm. It would feel thick, soft and slow for you. NBG98 on the other side is a more similar string to BG66 with improved durability however you pay for it by a duller feel and slipperness.

If you are in the 0.65mm string camp you should really try lining no1 before nbg98. That is amazing string, my favourite today. It is more lively, crisp and long lasting compared to bg66.

Said that note that different companies measure string thicknesses differently so it does not always relate presicely. Like Ashaway strings will usually be thicker than Yonex of the same claimed number..

Khamenman likes this.
  5. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

This maybe OOT but still related to strings, how does LN No.1 compared to BG80? BG80 is my default string as I really like the crispiness feel of it. And BG66 Ultimax vs BG80 (never tried BG66 Ultimax)?

6. stradrider

It is not a very easy to answer question... BG80 is probably the best string that was ever created by Yonex, used by most of the pro players today I think, at least in Europe.

BG80 used to be my go to string as well, but since I tried LN no1 I couldn't go back. It is even better than BG80 in crispness with great repulsion and control. I now use hybrid BG80/ LN1 actually which I lately like more and more. But you should remember that BG80 is thicker at 0.68 mm (although it feels more like a 0.66/67 string) which is slightly more solid on impact. It is hardest feeling string out there and it has an amazing control due to it's rough vectran winding.

Khamenman likes this.
  7. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

Thanks for your answer! So you would consider BG80 and LN No.1 better than BG66 and BG66 Ultimax?

8. stradrider

I like both more than BG66. The main problem with BG66 is that while it's quite nice in the beginning it looses the quality very quickly (I am talking 1-2 weeks)... However please remember that you cannot directly compare BG80 and BG66 as these are two different kind of strings. I know people who like BG66 and cannot stand BG80. It's all about your playing style.

LN1 is more similar to BG66 and better in any way I think.

9. khalvin

khalvin Regular Member

Student
    As a person who played with BG66UM at 24lbs most of the time. Can you give me a list of string for me to try, why I should try and maybe pros and cons of that particular string? Thanks

I agree with BG66UM getting numb really quickly, I'm also trying to find a string which will maintain its tension longer and with on the "repulsion" side

P.S: Any thoughts on BGAB?

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    khalvin likes this.
  11. stradrider

You should really try the LN1. I cannot comment on a lot of strings, but from the ones I tried it's the best. It keeps playability better than BG66 or Zymax62. The BGAB is a good combination I heard, but cannot advise from personal opinion - was planning to try it and didn't get to it yet. Should be somewhat similar to BG80/LN1 I think. Likely to be a bit more solid or "heavy" feeling compared to plain BG66 or LN1.

khalvin likes this.