Net kill shuttlecock rule?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jimmy00, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jimmy00

jimmy00 New Member

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find the answer for it.

What is the rule on hitting the shuttlecock on your side when performing a net kill shot.

Does the entire shuttlecock (including feathers, cork,..) need to be over to the player's side for them to hit it or just the cork or point of contact?

I've tried looking at the law of badminton, but it doesn't say exactly:

13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;

2. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

As it says, the location where the shuttle hits the racket must be on your side of the net. Like a smash to a side line, it can be sometimes very difficult to guage where the exact contact point was.

3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I'm a little bit confused: The rules literally say that the initial point of contact must be on the striker's side of the net, so the answer is (3). The rest of the shuttlecock's position does not matter.

4. jimmy00

jimmy00 New Member

Thanks, I just had brain derp moment in processing that rule plus the weird ruling in axelsen vs chen long game today.

phihag likes this.