New racket missing top cross string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sweet_Assist, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Sweet_Assist

Sweet_Assist New Member

I ordered the racket online so shipping it back is not really feasible. Should I get it restrung locally? I broke year old vt80 in a clash and was hopping to use it tomorrow but don't want to risk damage. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Some stringer seems know some trick or string pattern that are uncommon.

Many times i saw a racket with string that skip the 2nd cross on top, bottom, or both. Not sure what gained from those pattern or would it break yhe

Sweet_Assist likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yes, that racket misses the topmost cross string. Correct stringing pattern see (https://www.yonex.com/media/wysiwyg/YNEX0007_02.jpg). This doesn't endanger the frame in any way though, it basically just increases the risk of snapping the string with a mishit towards the top of the frame.

However, there always is one downside with Yonex rackets under warranty that are strung just slightly outside from their recommended patterns: They will plain and simple decline warranty in case there is an issue with the frame. So I would send this picture along with the recommended pattern to the shop and ask for a partial refund to cover having it re-strung locally. This is an obvious mistake by the shop's stringer so I can hardly imagine that they will decline that.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!". No... sometimes a mistake is just a mistake and nothing else.

Sweet_Assist likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Im not sure if its a mistake as i often saw it. At 1st i tought someone string are snaping but he didnt realize it but looking at it closer, actually its not. & As i saw some people had it, makes me wonder what use skipping 2nd cross at the bottom or the upper or both up & bot.
    Tho never in my life i end up with those string pattern & didnt bother to ask my stringger to do that afraid it would harm my racket.
    But still im curious why is it & what its benefit.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You mean the third one is missing and that's the TTY signature pattern. It doesn't have any effect, except in someone's brain who wants to believe that it does. Don't let yourself be fooled by that kind of mumbo jumbo without seeing any kind of facts to prove it.

Barkov Maxim and Budi like this.
  6. Sweet_Assist

Sweet_Assist New Member

I think I'll let it be if there is no danger to the frame. Even the reputable local stringers don't always follow the Yonex pattern. They tie the knots at different grommets but I have not seen a missing cross at the top location.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sounds reasonable. I'd still try to get that partial refund though... :cool:

Cheung likes this.
  8. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Oh I hate that pattern. It is so ugly. You can only add the last cross if you have a 4 tooth clamp. So its possible the stringer had to omit it because he did have the more common 5 tooth clamp.

Sweet_Assist, Cheung and s_mair like this.
  9. Sweet_Assist

Sweet_Assist New Member

Thanks for the explanation! I ordered online from a shop in Toronto. I've never seen stringers do this in Vancouver. Like no one I play with had a missing top cross. It's $300+ for a racket and stringing and they void the warranty before the customer ever touching ito_O.

10. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

I can understand why some stringers does that, on a basic or intermediate 72 holes racket, the most common stringing pattern is last string at hole 7 and tie off at 5.

This astrox 99 pro is slightly different, last string at hole 6 and tie off at 5. All racket is slightly different, a more experienced stringer would pay attention to new emerging patterns. Saying that, I made a similar mistake in the past but on my own racket as an amateur DIY stringer :oops:. Shop should not make this mistake.

11. SIM YUN KIAT

SIM YUN KIAT Regular Member

12. Baddyman#1

Baddyman#1 Regular Member

It's not common to see stringers use different patterns, knots and tie point. Even amongst Yonex credited stringers across the tournament circuit.

For the mentioned 5 teeth clamp issues above. It can be easily solved by doing the last cross then back to second last and tension it twice then tie off. This will result in the last cross being a bit less tension but a lot of Yonex stringers advocate perimeter strings to be slightly less. Otherwise two flying clamp will do the job too.

Yonex asia, finish knot of the cross string at the share hole on the 11th vertical string grommet to take pressure off the 5th vertical string where often snapped string occurs. The procedure as follows- a stringer reach the cross at the 11th vertical shared hole. They then work from the last cross down to the 11th grommet to finish knot.

I have since adopted this method and seems to have lower the chance of the vertical string snapping where the knot is typical situated on the vertical.

As seen on youtube video European stringers are adopting the Yonex asia method i explained above.

plane.

SirWabbs likes this.
  13. SirWabbs

SirWabbs Regular Member

Thank you for sharing this video.

Interesting starting knot for the crosses too. I will try reversing the top 5 strings next time.

Baddyman#1 likes this.