Olympic Consolation Prize

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by bad_fanatic, Aug 21, 2008.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't want to open a can of worm, but don't you think the players who deserve (ranking) to participate but did not get a chance should given some award?

In CHN team, we have CH, CY, WYH, WL, ZL, ZTT, etc. Some of them (e.g. CY) might never to participate OG, else they decide to represent another nationa in 2012. I am not here to debate "limited entry" again, but somehow, I really feel for these guys / girls. They dedicated their life for the sport, ranking as high as world 4, but not given the chance to perform on the biggest stage... How sad it is...

I am sure there are athletes from other nations and other sports might face the same kinda issues. I think we should salute to all of them. ;)

2. copadh

copadh Regular Member

They gave two bronze for two badminton semifinalist only in Barcelona 1992. Maybe IOC think, no physical contact, less risk, and possible to do, to reduce financial budget for medal production :D :D
    could you imagine, being beaten, punched, and kicked all the time, and still have to fight to get bronze? be generous...:D :D

3. copadh

copadh Regular Member

the 4th place finishers should get consolation prize for their effort, and the high ranked players who could not participate because of that reason should not be forgotten either...

4. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I totally agree that it's unfair how some player with good standing/ranking but didn't get a chance to compete on the ground of Olympics. I've always given them respect and recognize their performance. But I think this is an error of the Olympic format where they only select the top 50th rank and each country can only send a max of 3 representatives.

But if they open up and let more people compete, then it'll make the Olympic a little less prestigious.

The Olympics is about the best of the best in your country versus the best of the best of other countries. In this perspective, I think that the Olympic has the right format.

For some that was ranked 4th or lower due to injuries or other mishap that prevented them gaining the position. That is what we call tough luck and there's nothing that could be done about it.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

imo, the olympic consolation prize should be given to lee hyun ill.