Olympic Games 2008: Day 3 (11 August)

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by ctjcad, Aug 6, 2008.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The "real" MS matches will begin today.

3 matches involving INA players:
    MS R32 Taufik Hidayat [7] vs Wong Choong Hann -- on paper, Taufik should beat the veteran MAS player, but, you never know what you're gonna get with Taufik, esp since he just recovered from his illness. He has a slight slight edge.

MS R32 Boonsak Ponsana vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro [6] -- a repeat of the bronze medal match at the Athens Olympics, which was won by Sony at that time. With his form, Sony should take this one.

Other interesting matches in MS R32:
    Lin Dan [1] vs Ng Wei -- the Chinese top-seed is usually slow in his start, so, Ng Wei might capitalize by taking a set off him. Yet, nothing less than a Gold will satisfy Lin Dan (and Li Yongbo) this year.

Shoji Sato vs Anup Sridhar -- the Japanese to win.

Lee Hyun Il vs Kenneth Jonassen [5] -- this could potentially be the first upset, with the Korean winning it in a tight rubber-set.

Marc Zweibler vs Andrew Smith -- two equally matched Europeans....but I PAW for Andrew.

Ronald Susilo vs Lee Chong Wei [2] -- a potential banana-skin for the second-seed, but, he should progress.

Other players who are likely to progress to R16:
    Bao Chunlai, Chen Jin, Park Sung Hwan, Erwin Kehlhoffner, Peter Gade, Przemyslaw Wacha, Ville Lang, Shoji Sato, Nguyen Tien-Minh, and Kestusis Navickas.

WS R16 Maria Kristin Yulianti vs Tine Rasmussen [6] -- Maria has fulfilled her task in progressing to R16. Another win or two from now onwards will be considered a bonus which bodes well for her career. But, the Danes has Gold Medal in her sight and will win this one!

Other interesting matches in WS R16:
    Wong Mew Choo [8] vs Petya Nedeltcheva -- the MAS player should progress to the QF.

Saina Nehwal vs Wang Chen [4] -- young Saina has done well in progressing to R16. But, Wang Chen should be superior to her.

Eriko Hirose vs Pi Hongyan [5] -- an upset is likely here...with Pi slighty having the edge.

Jun Jae Youn vs Zhang Ning [2] -- a potential huge upset is possible in this match, given that Zhang Ning took 3-sets to beat Salakjit.

The ones who will also be progressing to the QF:
    Xie Xingfang, Lu Lan, and Xu Huaiwen.

In the WD QF, no questions who are likely to progress to the SF:
    Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen, Du Jing/Yu Yang, Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen, and Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung.

2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I cant wait.... 30 more min to go for our LCW vs Susilo... sticking my eyes on TV now... I hv confidence in LCW... Msia Boleh...!!!

3. CrouchingRabbit

CrouchingRabbit Regular Member

Have some faith! Zhang Ning aaaaall the way! :D

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    SCARY DAYS!!! UPSET DAYS...just dont who will be........!!!
    PAW!! PAW !!

5. DoublesPlayer

DoublesPlayer Regular Member

Engineer
    18 more minutes, i'm going to have 3 computers in front of me :) ... watching all 3 courts, NBC streaming is great!

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

omg, im very excited now..
    malaysia boleh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    arrggghh!!!!!!!!

7. george@chongwei

some one please hepl me to cheer chong wei here as i will watch that match in front of my tv..dont have time to post here..:(:)

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Damn!!!!:mad:........:D:D.......how lucky you are! you have only 2 eyes.....hehe

9. george@chongwei

ok..my drum and ambulans outside my house had ready in case chong wei lost, i pengsan:p:p
    oxygen air also beside me..:D

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    How much do I get paid for cheering LCW? LOH has paid me already....:D

11. george@chongwei

let the match begin!

Sparks set to fly when men’s action starts

EXPECT fireworks when Malaysians Lee Chong Wei and Wong Choong Hann begin their campaign in the men's singles badminton competition at the Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium today.
    After receiving first-round byes, Lee Chong Wei will take on the unpredictable Ronald Susilo of Singapore while veteran campaigner Choong Hann will be out to put an early end to Indonesian Taufik Hidayat's bid to become the first back-to-back Olympic champion.
    Other interesting second-round affairs will see top seed Lin Dan of China taking on another temperamental player in Ng Wei of Hong Kong while Lee Hyun-il of South Korea will be up against fifth seed Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark.
    Chong Wei has performed consistently well in tournaments this year and is favoured to advance. But previous Games have seen seeded players meeting their match in the early rounds.
    The second seeded Chong Wei is well aware of Ronald's reputation as a giant-killer. The Indonesia-born player beat Lin Dan in the second round of the last Olympics in Athens and he sent another Chinese, third seed Chen Jin, crashing out at the same stage in the World Championships last year.
    Chong Wei also lost to Ronald in the first round of last year's Swiss Open when the 26-year-old Malaysian was suffering a drop in form. But he bounced back to beat the Singaporean en route to the Japan Open title a few months later.
    If Chong Wei can beat Susilo convincingly, it should put him in the right frame of mind for a possible quarter-final match against Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro.
    As for Choong Hann, it will be his third and final appearance in the Olympics and he is fancying a shot at grabbing the limelight early.
    Choong Hann, who lost to Taufik in the second round of the 2004 Athens Games, has a 3-3 record against Taufik and is hoping to go one up although his opponent is favoured to prevail.
    “He has not been playing as well as before but I believe I have an equal chance to beat him. I am familiar with his game and is ready to challenge him,” said Choong Hann.
    Also in Choong Hann's favour is the fact that he had plenty of time to improve on his physical condition. His last tournament was the Singapore Open in early June and he skipped the Indonesian Open immediately after that to get ready for the Beijing Olympics.

12. indra

indra Regular Member

Announcement!!!!

TH and SDK stay in Beijing will be extended.....

WCH and Bonsaak, the plane is waiting for you...It's boarding time....:D

13. luyi80

luyi80 Regular Member

Let me join the party as well...:D

MS
    SUSILO Ronald vs Lee Chong Wei
    LCW to prevail by judging from the current form. LCW will learn from the lesson of LD in Athens and make sure the dark horse can't run far.

Lee Hyun Il vs JONASSEN Kenneth
    I won't call this as an upset, as LHI is a very good player. The Korean has an edge.

PONSANA Boonsak vs KUNCORO Sony Dwi
    BP may create a surprise here, very tight I think, but Sony will prove he's a better player.

LIN Dan vs NG Wei
    Just look at how XXF thrased CSC last night. I'm sure LD will do the same. But as usual, LD is a slow starter, expect a quite tight 1st set and a relatively easy 2nd.

HIDAYAT Taufik vs Wong Choong Han
    On paper, TH should prevail. But base on his lately form, WCH stand a chance. Both are eager to win, and I hope WCH can win. But I think TH has a slight edge.

SATO Soji vs SRIDHAR Anup
    Hmm...interesting match, with the Japanese has an edge.

WS
    HIROSE Eriko vs PI Hong Yan
    The Japanese is inconsistent lately, PI to prevail.

JUN Jae Youn vs ZHANG Ning
    Hard to call...a potential upset here. But, ZN is very determine, and this is why she's still my favourite, other than WMC and Tine. I HOPE ZN can win this. Go Go Zhang Ning!

YULIANTI Maria Kristin vs RASMUSSEN Tine
    End of the OG journey for the Indonesian. Tine is very determine as well, if she wanna win, there's hardly anybody can stop her. Anyway, well done Maria.

NEHWAL Saina vs WANG Chen
    No doubt, WC will win. SN will give a good fight though.

XU Huai Wen vs HALLAM Tracey
    Tracey is very good, but Xu is better. Anyway, anything can happen.

WONG Mew Choo vs NEDELCHEVA Petya
    WMC, WMC, WMC......our only hope in WS. To ensure a better QF, WMC must cruise in to set her encounter with LL.

As for the rest, all are sure win matches. No comment other than congratulation to them.

14. george@chongwei

free of charge:p:p:p

15. george@chongwei

ding dong...wrong plane...
    wong choong hann and boonsak`s boarding plane had some techinical problem...
    departure delayed..:D:D
    INA airline is ready...:p:p:p
    last call for SDK AND TH..:)

16. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Announcement!

TH's airplane ticket has already been booked for today!

17. george@chongwei

10 minutes to 10 am!!!
    let the match begin!

18. george@chongwei

mean while, jessica is trying her best to get into a mamak stall to watch lcw vs ronald`s match!!:)
    wish her alll the best:):p:p

19. DoublesPlayer

DoublesPlayer Regular Member

Engineer
    i'm cheering for LCW, too, but i'm hoping for a good fight from RS :)

20. markchan

markchan Regular Member

OK, 10 mins more.....I am logging off......to switch on my astro.........
    LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!! LCW !!!