Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    looks like you play in slow motion. I also think both of you are not aggresive enough to attack when needed to.
    but thats me who usually play doubles

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just a hint: comments like the slow motion one arent welcome here. Even less so from people who havent had the guts to post their footage.
    You'd probably be surprised how slow you look yourself...

3. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    I took it to mean i looked like i was so comfortable the game looked easy... hence in slow mo...!

Never mind. it was a friendly game. But i also play very aggresively and attack in doubles. But i find in singles to play that way requires a lot more stamina and to be honest is a sure fire way to die quicker as your opponents just use the pace of the shot and move you around more.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha :D to be honest, you should easily defeat your opponent in the video - you're superior in both technique and footwork, so as long as you play with good margins to reduce errors you shouldnt lose a single game to him. Good way to abuse his glacial footspeed would be to play the same corner twice, then move him diagonally or forward/backward, and try to play that corner twice as well - repeat. And once in a while throw in a change of pace to keep him off balance (and of course use bad lifts to attack).
    Floor looked kind of slippery too, which is an additional advantage for smaller, lighter players :D

5. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

It was painful to watch the first time around, then I got over it!

Yeah real life, relationships, outdoors, Cycling, less impact, more fresh air, less anger haha. I figured I needed some time out properly to understand what direction I wanted my badminton to come in. I do enjoy the focus of training for big games.
    That comment was sorta tailored to you - I know how much you love to offer advice! I figure it's all irrelevant until I'm playing 2-3 times a week and somewhere near the level I was before, as i'm hoping to be playing County badminton in England again next season, otherwise it'll just be "focus on footwork and consistency" ;)

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thank you for thinking of me, mate ;)

Got some new footage. Any advice is welcome. Critics will be shot. ;)

I'm the one that burns your eyes with his shirt color ;)

7. bakulmie

bakulmie New Member

My Video .. Please Don't Laugh.. I'm Amateur :))

8. bakulmie

bakulmie New Member

WOW.. :)

j4ckie likes this.
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

You seem to have gained more muscles than I remember ... but somehow you seem less explosive in your hand speed and foot speed than before (?).

Your partner's hand speed can stand to benefit an increase in speed from holding higher up closer to the cone like you during serve, defence and fast flat play. As it is, he only holds it long, all the way close to the butt, which gives him power but at the expense of speed.

j4ckie likes this.
  10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So it does show....nice :D I'm trying to get my weight up before the season, since my best badminton weight appears to be somewhere in the 83-85 range.
    But if my feet are slow....I'll have to do footwork drills...
    But thanks for pointing that out! I'll try and see if I can get someone to do some defense drills with me as well...
    I'm not quite sure if this being the last match of the tournament had any impact (I played singles as well), but it's certainly no excuse.

I'll also try and relay your advice to my mate when he's back. He already got some from me directly afterwards :D (take the shuttle earlier, dont 'hold' it around the net)

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I always enjoy watching your videos!

I didn't watch the whole match (sorry...) but zapped through it and watched several rallies. And to be honest, I am competely surprised that you end up losing the match. In most of the rallies, you seem to have it pretty much under your control and IMO you were the better pair on court overall. But in the end the high number of more or less forced mistakes basically handed the match to your opponents on a silver platter. And if it was the last match of the day, I think your speed on court was still fully acceptable.

As always, your serves were very nice and consistent. I haven't found a single serve of yours which led to a direct point at the return of serve for your opponents. What's bugging me is the serve of the guy in the red shirt. IMO his contact point it too high every single time. He holds the shuttle in an okay height and then raises it the last moment before actually playing the serve. I hate it when people are doing that. :mad:

And yeah, it's pretty obvious that you gained some muscles - I bet that was one of the main the reasons to wear this sleeveless shirt, wasn't it? ;)

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Blasphemy! Zapping through :O But I agree 100%, I was very surprised that we lost it as well. Otoh, my partner had played 3 singles matches more than me, and since this match didn't decide anything, I guess he didn't put in as much effort as possible....not by choice, but I find that the unconscious difference between training matches or matches like this one and actual, important competition is quite substantial. Body tension, alertness, effort all go up a notch or two.

The sleeveless is a choice based on the desire not to melt, actually :D Even with the sedate pace of this match and only 2 games, I was dripping from my arms by the end. Conditions were a bit humid in this hall (tournament was played in 2)....still tolerable, but this was decidedly more comfortable than the normal shirts I'd been wearing in prior matches (one's in the process of cutting and uploading right now).

Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment, @s_mair, @visor! And all the others who watch in silence ;)

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It was because of humidity not vanity... yeah, right... :D

Having in mind that you both had played a number of matches before (including singles), I feel like it gets more obvious that you both were showing signs of exhaustion - physically but maybe even more mentally. And I agree 100% that a lot of times you just don't manage to go full throttle during matches in which you are only competing for the Goldene Ananas (dead rubber). Combine both and you have your reason for the high number of pretty much easy mistakes.

#2473 s_mair, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The banter is real :D Dont get me wrong, I'm a vain motherf***er on court - but at the same time, I still have noodle arms -nothing worth showing off- and am expecting worse conditions in the next tournament....so this tank (and another soon) aren't that unreasonable, eh? ;)

Side note - this is the 3rd MD match. I'll probably not upload, since it's basically a non-compete where you can't learn much, since my partner felt very ill during the match and told me (afterwards) all he could do was not throwing up on court :/

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nah, don't worry, I have seen guys wearing tank tops with a lot more noodly(?) arms than yours. Shirt is pretty nice by the way. And I bet it can be useful when you want to read a book in the dark. :D

j4ckie likes this.
  16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I got a kindle, so it's not necessary for that, but I can wave down air planes with it if the need arises. Even at a travel height of 11000m it still hurts your eyes a bit, or so I was told... :D
    Cant wait to get the new stuff. Already imagining all the sorts of exciting eye irritations I can cause with that obnoxious color :D

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Footage of the first match will be available soon, as YT is currently processing it (UL is done). Feel free to enjoy or hate it, leave likes or dislikes and comment here or on YT! :)

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Zzzaaappppp.... :p... all that talking about shiny shirts made me look at the other guy in the yellow shirt first. :confused:

Pretty weird match to watch. In the first game you gave them quite of a spanking which turned around more and more later in the match. Guy in yellow was playing so sloppy in the beginning that it almost seemed provocative. After they lost the first game it looks like he got a bit fired up and made life for you much harder.

Other things I noticed:
    Rally starting at 19:51 - your racket carriage height is kind of weird. You hold it up correctly the moment your partner plays the shot from backcourt but immediately lower it as soon as the shuttle has passed you. You end up with your racket around knee height at the moment when your opponent hits the shuttle (freeze at 20:00 for example). I guess it should be the other way round (or don't ever lower your racket down to the knees at all). I would say that this was the reason for your mistake at the end of the rally - you just weren't quick enough to raise the racket from your knees all the way up to that high backhand position.

Flick serves:
    Seems like you got caught quite often with flick serves, especially towards the end of the match. Even if you don't like to do it, it might be necessary to move your position back a couple of inches in case you are faced with an opponent who has such a good flick serve. Looks like you got quite annoyed by that too.

Oh, and I kind of liked your little McEnroe-moment at the very end. :D

#2478 s_mair, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    j4ckie likes this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He had a slight hangover and played like garbage at the start :D Should've won the first game, it really was an opportunity....and while I didn't mishit the shot you mentioned because of lack of time (I just tried to play it too gently), your point is absolutely valid. It's a hard habit to get rid of (watch YYS :D) and I'm working on it.
    I noticed the flick problem as well, just too late, and adjusted my position for the last 2 serves, I believe. Really got annoyed with how we gifted that 3rd game away. But as long as it entertains the fans, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make ;)
    Seeing how the day turned out after that (partner narrowly avoiding a collaps due to exhaustion), the win wouldn't have made much of a difference, I guess....

Side note - these guys placed 2nd in the tournament in the end, losing to our opponents from the 2nd match in the Final. Unlucky group, eh? :D

Playing another tournament in 2 weeks, where I'll get spanked in XD. Will see if there's an opportunity to set up the camera, as the venue is overcrowded every year and there's very little room next to the courts...

20. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

No worries j4ckie, I know you're playing a bit more seriously than me atm so I do prefer to watch your games haha...
    I like watching your style of play, it's a lot more methodical than mine, I don't think you're making as many mistakes as you used to either.
    You certainly seem to be getting good leverage and angle on your overheads now- they did however put you to the rear court alot (tactics ?)
    I think they were quite a strong pairing, definitely a bit on the cocky side though.
    Also, have you upped your tension a fair bit- looks like you've maybe lost a bit of top end power?

s_mairs bang on correct with the racquet carriage.
    Take a look at 08:21, good second shot, but you didn't prepare for the follow up. Similar with after smashes, you seem to switch off that little bit that puts you vulnerable to counter attacks. I think part of this is that you stand up right too. If they come back at you quicker it's usually quite threatening and you aren't quite in the part squat stance ready to move quick if you have to. Racquet carriage just up by your belly button could change that a lot- it'll give those "noodle arms" a work out too!

That said, playing against opponents who give the impression they're not trying is sometimes really hard to put in a full effort against, I find this one of the harder things to compete with- so that may explain some of what has been described above :confused:

No shooting required.:D