Reccomendations please (thank you!)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Muckluck, Mar 31, 2009.

1. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I use Carlton Powerblade Tour. It's great for doubles. If you're gonna choose a racket, go for the specs instead of the brand. They have different technologies, but the specs is what's gonna help you with your play.

Here are some guidelines in choosing a racket:

Flex = generates more power especially if you have a weak arm. The idea here is that the shaft bends at point of impact (like a sling shot), thus, adding force

Stiff = gives more control. You'll be able to place the shuttle where you want to place it. This is advantageous for those with strong arm and wrist movement, as they don't need the shaft to flex for more power

Even balance = easy maneuverability. Great for defense and fast exchanges

Head heavy = great for power (smash and clear) but not good for quick movements (eg, net kills, fast drives, defense)

Light weight = fast racket but weaker power (depending how strong your arm/wrist is)

Heavy weight = adds power to your shots, but it's hard to maneuver (I'd recommend 87 g. For me, this is the ideal racket weight)

High tension = offers great control (less bouncy), but it may cause muscle pain for those with weak arms as the arm absorbs the impact

Low tension = offers less effort in hitting the shuttle cock (bouncy). The idea here is that it gives more "trampoline" effect, thus making the shuttle bounce faster.

Isometric frame = larger sweet spot. Quality of shots will still be retained even if the shuttle hits the non-middle part of the frame (I recommend this for beginners)

Oval/classic frame = smaller but more concentrated sweet spot. Once the shuttle hits this spot, the quality is maximized. Good for advanced players with precise and accurate hitting style.

There you go. I hope this helps. :)

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Congratulations on making your decision! :)
    BTW choose the Woven 8A. It's the same racket but prettier paint job.

There has been quite a bit about puppysports and their insecure site. Scary stuff. However you could simply email them (info@puppysports.com) to communicate about any fears you have paying them online.

Ibuysports are sold out. But I guess you could always email and ask.

How about three very good Canadian options? They all have a good reputation and they all carry SOTX Woven 8.
    1) www.Maxsports.ca
    2) www.MJstrings.ca
    3) www.racketsportsmontreal.ca

Good luck

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I have a freind who has a head metalix 2000 I haven't tried it but it's reasnoable priced and is only 88 grams I reckon it's great value

4. Muckluck

Muckluck Regular Member

airsoft store manager
    On the canadian sites, are they posting the woven 8 at $150 in canadian currency, or is it in the dollar, becuase it uses the $ sign on the 3 sites. Just wondering, because $150 is a complete ripoff on the woven 8

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

1) Maxsports and MJStrings sites both state that their prices are in Canadian funds. This is not clearly expressed on the Racketsportsmontreal site.

2)The $130 at MJStrings, and the $150 at Maxsports include stringing. The $125 at Racketsports does not.

3) Maxsports is the most expensive, but he is a licensed Yonex/SOTX dealer and gives a good warranty compared to the other two.

These are all mom&pop type operations in two heavily taxed cities in Canada---far away from where the rackets are made in Asia. Of course they can't compete price-wise with Hong Kong. I don't think that they are ripping anyone off. :(

If selling badminton stuff in North America was a lucrative trade you would see a Yonex aisle in Walmart.;)

6. Muckluck

Muckluck Regular Member

airsoft store manager
    And I have made a descision: SOTX is the buy!:rolleyes:

But, just a question, is there a profound difference between the woven 8 and the woven 2? Just wondering, becuase airsoft is an extremely exspensive sport, so I am haulting all airsoft investments for my first racket, which tears me up, ive had some nerdy plans put out for my money over the months ahead :D

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Recently rescued my w2 from 'permanant loan' and can't wait to use it again. It is definitely heavier and head-heavier than the w8. Good if you like the weight to help your clears, or like that solid feeling.
    But the w8 sure is quick and versatile. Rewards a quick strong wrist.
    I think either is a fine choice. You could grow to love either.

I'll have to Google "airsoft".:confused: ("haulting" too;))

8. Muckluck

Muckluck Regular Member

airsoft store manager
    Well, if you DO goggle it, youll get this crap about $20 airsoft guns. type in for the web adress this:
    www.stlouisairsoftplayers.com
    dont make an acc though, they will get mad at me. We do REAL airsoft, not cheapo backyard airsoft. I have so far invested over $1,000 in airsoft, and im only 14!:eek: